The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Why has no Zelda film been made yet?

A Mario film was released in 1993, but why has no Zelda film been made yet? I believe a Zelda film would have been at least much better than the Mario one.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 02-04-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
Allio
Foot Elite

Didn’t Netflix confirm a tv shoe awhile back.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
A Mario film was released in 1993, but why has no Zelda film been made yet? I believe a Zelda film would have been at least much better than tbe Mario one.

Mario has much bigger appeal than Zelda, if the Mario movie was a failure why would they make a Zelda film? Shortly after the SMB movie which I just re-watched and was awesome Nintendo Japan became stricter and didn't let NOA license out their stuff as easily as it did in the 80s.

There WAS a Zelda movie pitch by Imagi (the studio that made TMNT 2007), the trailer looks awful and I"m glad that it wasn't picked up. I'm not sure Zelda would make a great movie, but now that Super Mario is getting a new movie that will likely be faithful to the source material, I'm guessing if it does well a Zelda movie or show can't be that far behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post

No, there were some rumors but they were false.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
Overlord

Just because Super Mario Bros. failed in 1993 doesn't mean that should be remembered forever.

To me, Zelda has bigger potential. A lot of the environment is more realistic than Mario (forests, islands, lakes and mountains) as there are no pipes to jump between (which requires the Mario story to change a lot more for a film adaption).
Old 02-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Pretty sure all the Zelda movie stories over the years have been proven to be FAKE news.

But yeah. It's very strange there hasn't ever been a Zelda movie, or even a Metroid movie.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
Overlord

Castlevania

Quote:
I think you confused it with Castlevania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle...External_links

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 02-04-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
Allio
Foot Elite

Oops, my mistake
Old 02-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #8
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Because Link is too gay to function.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #9
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I think because for the most part, it's not exactly easy to break down an entire video game to movie length. At least from an executive's perspective.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Zelda in any other medium is just generic fantasy, something big movies like Lord of the Rings, etc. do a lot better.

Most Zelda games have a pretty simple plot, taken into movie form the franchise would be a joke. Nintendo games have always been about the gameplay, not the story.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:21 PM   #11
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I think because for the most part, it's not exactly easy to break down an entire video game to movie length. At least from an executive's perspective.
Just have Ganon kidnap Zelda and stealing the Triforce, and Link must fix it all back.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:22 PM   #12
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Imagine Link talking in the movie, that'd be a first.

Oh wait he did talk in the animated series, he sounds so much like a sassy gay friend.

"Excuuuuusee me, princess". So gay.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

It's best they haven't, it'd be ruined.

The only adaption I could get into would be a Ghibli treatment of a certain game.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:27 AM   #14
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I also think Link doesn't have that much of a personality besides brave hero and barely talks besides battle cries. Once you make a movie and you're forced to give him more of a personality, no matter what route they take, it's going to sound like 'the wrong personality'.

Besides, I don't want to see something stupid like Link being an Earth kid or Gannon invading our world, or whatever nonsense they always seem to do because people feel movie goers won't connect with the characters unless they can relate to them and their real world problems.

Link would benefit from an animated movie instead. Honestly, it's the obsession with live action adaptations that ruin some of these movies. When you make a cartoon movie, for some reason... you can just jump right in. Some animated movies either directly follow whatever show they're based on, or it's a whole new thing but it just flows more naturally because you don't have to waste time explaining everything.

Live action movies always have to waste time introducing the characters from scratch, and explain how their world works, and how it relates to our real world, with the extra burden of having the movie goer believe it.

The classic Transformers movie was directly tied to the cartoon and jumped right in with the battle between the Autobots and the Decepticons. The live action version took the time to make us swallow the fact that these giant robots came from space and can transform into our vehicles. Either that, or they take animated characters that have no business in our world, run around in our world, like the Smurfs. And just look at the chipmunks. These weird... human sized Chipmunks in long sweaters just work in animation. In the live action movies they had to make them actual talking chipmunks just to somehow explain it.

Even the Imagi TMNT movie did this. Even though it wasn't directly tied to a cartoon, it casually mentioned the origin in the intro, and expected the audience to already know who Shredder was... and then it just jumped right into the story. It didn't waste time trying to make the movie goer swallow the concept of human sized talking turtles, it just went right into the plot.

Lego Batman just takes the Batman lore and runs with it, while even the 1988 movie takes us deep into just why someone in the real world would run around risking his life in a Bat costume.

I'd rather just see a good and fun Legend of Zelda animated movie. I don't want Link and Gannon taking the fight to our world, nor do I want to see the movie dig deep into Link's psychological need to destroy pottery.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #15
Overlord

Of course, our time shouldn't be involved in such a film.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

How many good video game movie adaptations have you seen? What are the odds Zelda would get a new one. Also, even a good Zelda movie would come across as a poorman's Lord of the Rings, let's face it.

Also, keep in mind that a video game flows differently from a book, a tv series or a movie. The plot and the cutscenes add to the game, but the vital part of its experience is the gameplay . And sometimes people get stuck for several days in a Zelda temple. Temples in Zelda require backtracking and puzzle solving. Could you imagine a movie where Link has to go through several dungeons/temples and do that stuff?? Also, Link is a silent protagonist and spends his adventures alone. Sure, he meets NPCs along his journey, but he beats the dungeons on his own. How would you keep that entertaining to the audiences? Even if you cut time short, then what, Link would spend 10 mins per dungeon? Also, in Zelda games, Link has to go to several places such a Kakariko village back and forth to complete sidequests and such.

So yeah, I guess in a live action movie the formula would be a bit different... but then it wouldn't really be Zelda anymore. It wouldn't feel like Zelda. Just another generic fantasy movie. And it's not like a Zelda movie would be as popular or influential as a LOTR, Harry potter or Narnia movie.

You know what Nintendo should do, though? Adapt Star Fox into a cartoon/anime series. That one has potential. As cartoony as Super Mario Bros. is, it didn't translate that well into a cartoon series. Doubt Zelda would either.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:00 AM   #17
drgon78
Mad Scientist

The only way we have a chance of getting a good Zelda movie if it is an animated film.
drgon78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:57 AM   #18
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
You know what Nintendo should do, though? Adapt Star Fox into a cartoon/anime series..
Or maybe a Metroid live-action film? Or animated series?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #19
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I would love a live action Metroid movie trilogy based on the first three games.
drgon78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #20
sdp
-

Nintendo became extremely protective of their IP starting in the late 90s after seeing the mess that NOA was making with the licenses and being unhappy with them. It wasn't until a few years ago when the Wii U failed that Iwata said they were exploring expanding their properties.

We've seen a lot of fruition come out of that, the Pikmin CG shorts, the Kid Icarus anime shorts, tons of Nintendo toys/statues etc that we've gotten from both small and big companies, the amusement park deal, and now the Mario movie.

So yeah, Zelda and other properties are going to get their own show or movie eventually but just because they've opened up doesn't mean it'll happen quickly. It's taken years from when Iwata announced this to finally have a confirmed Mario movie, I'm guessing the fate of future movies and shows all fall on Mario's success.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote