The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 02-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

If you knew exactly how much time you have left, what would you do?

Let's say you hypothetically knew it or someone from the future would travel to 2018 and tell you when you were gonna die and that there was no way to avoid it. What would you do? Let's say you had like 8 years of your life left or something.

I'd probably reduce my backlog and also waste less of my free time. Also would stress less about work and school.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I definitely wouldn't watch another episode of "Star Trek: Discovery." And tentative plans of one day giving the entirety of the 4Kids TMNT cartoon a watch/a chance would immediately shift to become "no plans."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I definitely wouldn't watch another episode of "Star Trek: Discovery." And tentative plans of one day giving the entirety of the 4Kids TMNT cartoon a watch/a chance would immediately shift to become "no plans."
You never miss an opportunity . Would you still be logging in here to bash the FW series on a weekly basis, though?

In all seriousness now, you being a husband and a father surely would sadden you a bit if you were to die young, no?
Old 02-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Take out a couple of kick-ass life insurance policies. Duh.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
You never miss an opportunity . Would you still be logging in here to bash the FW series on a weekly basis, though?
I would never do that.

Quote:
In all seriousness now, you being a husband and a father surely would sadden you a bit if you were to die young, no?
According to Google, the average male life expectancy is 76. I'm 36 years-old. That's middle-age in the strictest sense, certainly not "young."
Old 02-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

There are a couple of things I'd do regardless of HOW I was slated to go.

First and foremost, I'd stop being polite to people who don't deserve it.
Toxic folks would get far fewer chances than they've historically gotten from me.

If I was going to go quickly, like in an accident of some sort, I'd probably quit my job and drop out of school. Spend my time traveling and doing stuff I actively enjoy.

If it was going to be an illness that snuffed me out, then I'd keep working...and stick to school, that way my family wouldn't have to pick up the costs for anything the health insurance didn't cover.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Wouldn't change me from how I already am.

We all know we will die one day, what difference does it make if we know the date one day as well? Number one rule for me in life is to be happy and content regardless of the circumstances.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Wouldn't change me from how I already am.

We all know we will die one day, what difference does it make if we know the date one day as well? Number one rule for me in life is to be happy and content regardless of the circumstances.
Well, for one thing, if you knew you were gonna die in less than 10 years from now on you wouldn't be making retirement plans anymore or worry about making it to ripe old age still healthy.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
If it was going to be an illness that snuffed me out, then I'd keep working...and stick to school, that way my family wouldn't have to pick up the costs for anything the health insurance didn't cover.
Then again, if you KNOW exactly how much time you have left and suddenly you get sick near the end of this time... why even seek treatment at all? You know for a fact you're not going to "beat it," in this scenario.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

I should have clarified...

You wouldn't suffer at all. You'd die, let's say, in your sleep or something. Peacefully. No suffering for weeks/months prior to it.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #11
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I probably wouldn’t do anything different.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #12
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Then again, if you KNOW exactly how much time you have left and suddenly you get sick near the end of this time... why even seek treatment at all? You know for a fact you're not going to "beat it," in this scenario.
Because treatment is where the morphine lives.

Quote:
I should have clarified...

You wouldn't suffer at all. You'd die, let's say, in your sleep or something. Peacefully. No suffering for weeks/months prior to it.
Oh in that case, then i'd work as long as it would take me to pay for my end of life care plans, and then travel the rest of the time.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I would never do that.

According to Google, the average male life expectancy is 76. I'm 36 years-old. That's middle-age in the strictest sense, certainly not "young."
Oh come on now, Andrew. That's 40 years below the male life expectancy where you live. When you hear of someone dying at 40 surely you don't think they had a long full life, do you? Also, it's likely that when you reach 76 the male life expectancy where you live will be higher.

Dying at 36 is certainly dying young. Except maybe in some African countries where life expectancy is like 45.

Satoru Iwata died at age 55-56. It's not correct to say he died old. Especially considering how long Japanese people live.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Oh come on now, Andrew. That's 40 years below the male life expectancy where you live. When you hear of someone dying at 40 surely you don't think they had a long full life, do you?
Kind of. Do people really do a ton of great stuff after they're about 45? I know there's exceptions but... not many?

Quote:
Dying at 36 is certainly dying young.
Well, you said "you had like 8 years." So that'd mean I'd die when I'm 44. That's definitely not young at all.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #15
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Take out a couple of kick-ass life insurance policies. Duh.
Yeah my plans would involve money as well. You know because I’m currently not a billionaire. I would think of a way to get lots of money and give it to people. Robin Hood style. So I guess my last few years would be a life of crime.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Kind of. Do people really do a ton of great stuff after they're about 45? I know there's exceptions but... not many?

Well, you said "you had like 8 years." So that'd mean I'd die when I'm 44. That's definitely not young at all.
Still rather young to die. If you had to bet on which celebrities are gonna die next surely you'd faster put money on Clint Eastwood or Stan Lee dying than on Christian Bale, no?

Well what do you mean by "great stuff"? Ask people 60 and above if they're happy with their lives. Many old people are healthy and happy with their lives. They might not be going around saving whales... but I don't really see many young people doing that either. Life isn't like in the movies. Most people don't exactly lead super exciting lives. What do young people do nowadays besides spending a lot of time online, gaming and going out for drinks?
Old 02-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

30+ is middle age. I just turned 32 and I feel like half my life is over already. I'm a middle age man now so I must do middle age man things. No more watching cartoons, playing videogames or reading comics, etc.

Middle age men come home and watch the news and read the daily stock reports, they sit down and read a newspaper and ask for someone to fetch their pipe and slippers. The only thing middle age men watch on TV are tennis and golf matches. We don't do any recreational activities or things associated with childrens or teens, and we only watch "intellectual" movies and nothing to do with action or superheroes. They also play backgammon and chess as games and nothing else. We go to sleep at 8pm at the latest and wake up at 5am.

That's what middle age men do.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #18
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Where are you getting that from, Cubed? I'm more middle-aged than you, and I still do ALL those things! I watch shows like Lucifer or Gifted, play games, even play around with my TMNT figs posing and taking pics of them to share. I write and dance, listen to metal, punk and goth rock, among other things, watch animes, and read comics and sci-fi and fantasy novels, and my husband who is a year and a half older than me does all those things too. (Minus the comics and playing with action figures. He prefers D&D.) We both play D&D once a week with a group of friends, and watch movies like Avengers or Thor or It. We are middle-aged, sure, but your idea of what middle aged people do is WAAAY outdated, dude!! Our parents did that sort of stuff, but that's not really relevant to people our age now. I have co-workers older than me who love heavy metal and pop music, so older people's interests and hobbies are definitely changing from the boring old crap of earlier generations.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:26 PM   #19
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I suppose I would just try to enjoy as much as possible all the things that make me happy. Have fave foods more often that I might skip most of the time for the price... go places I want to see, with people I want to spend time with... Buy things I could afford that I'd long wanted but was always still waiting for "someday"... Try things I've wanted to try out. Design my own headstone well enough in advance so I could get to see it and make it what I want. (Granted that one could be a reality, but I don't know if what I think I would want now would be the same as what I might prefer if I lived to, say, 85.)

And otherwise just live my life as usual.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:55 PM   #20
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
30+ is middle age. I just turned 32 and I feel like half my life is over already. I'm a middle age man now so I must do middle age man things. No more watching cartoons, playing videogames or reading comics, etc.

Middle age men come home and watch the news and read the daily stock reports, they sit down and read a newspaper and ask for someone to fetch their pipe and slippers. The only thing middle age men watch on TV are tennis and golf matches. We don't do any recreational activities or things associated with childrens or teens, and we only watch "intellectual" movies and nothing to do with action or superheroes. They also play backgammon and chess as games and nothing else. We go to sleep at 8pm at the latest and wake up at 5am.

That's what middle age men do.
Middle aged is a good chunk of years, do most the 30 something years olds you know match the above? I can't imagine you will drop the turtles when you reach your late 30's Anyway, imagine you live until you are 80, that's a long time to spend not doing the things you like.

Quote:
Andrew NDB I definitely wouldn't watch another episode of "Star Trek: Discovery."

Prowler, I'd likely just give a mom answer to the question. I'd make sure my children had a close relationship with whoever would watch over them in their teen years, whilst making the most of them also. Course I'd want to do things too but nothing I wouldn't want to do in life anyway I suppose, I guess knowing would just be a kick up the backside to do it sooner.

Last edited by newfan; 02-13-2018 at 05:29 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubed is coming, speculation