The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-18-2022, 11:31 AM   #1
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Doug

Since drgon78 is posting topics on old cartoon shows, I thought I'd bring up one. Doug. I wouldn't say it's on my top 5 Nicktoons but I have been rewatching the show recently thanks to reruns and I think it's held up pretty well. Some say it's boring but others say it's pretty chill. Doug's alter egos kinda helped make the more memorable moments like Quailman, Smash Adams, Race Canyon, The Chameleon, and Durango Doug.

Fred Newman was the vocalist and sound effects maker for the music and that man's pretty talented. The music was pretty catchy and helped made the show a bit cool.

Around 1996, Jumbo Pictures took the property to Disney and ABC and revived the show. The theme song was catchy but the series itself really lost it's uniqueness to me. What's funny is that when I watched the Disney run at the time, it was called "Brand Spanking New Doug". By the time they changed it to "Disney's Doug" is when I stopped watching it. Nickelodeon still owns the rights to the original series and still airs it on channels like NickRewind and it's currently on Paramount+ while Disney has the rights to their run, Doug's 1st (and only) Movie, and the IP rights. Jim Jinkins, the creator, said in an interview that Disney has no future plans for Doug. In my opinion, him or Paramount/Nickelodeon should buy the series back, if they can.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
superstaff
Mad Scientist

I love Doug unironically. It's definitely in my top 5 Nicktoons along with Invader Zim, ATLA, Hey Arnold, and KaBlam.

Nostalgia Critic can suck it.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:44 AM   #3
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
I love Doug unironically. It's definitely in my top 5 Nicktoons along with Invader Zim, ATLA, Hey Arnold, and KaBlam.

Nostalgia Critic can suck it.
Nickelodeon's Doug I presume.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:48 AM   #4
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Nickelodeon's Doug I presume.
I said Nicktoons, so yes.

I didn't hate Disney's Doug in its entirety though. It's really not the worst cartoon or cartoon sequel. However, all of the charm was sucked right out of it. I also found many of the changes annoying, like Roger becoming rich, Connie losing weight, and so on. One thing I did notice was a huge lack of Mr. Dink as Doug's friend/mentor, that goes right out the window in Disney's Doug.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:56 AM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Disney's Doug is not horrible but yeah not a classic like the original. I remember being excited to watch new episodes and the formula changing up a bit even if the episodes weren't as good.

A shame Disney doesn't care about the property and it'll be left to rot in the Disney vault.
Not that I want a reboot but it's be nice to have Doug be a part od all those nickelodeon crossover games instead of say Garfield or TMNT who have nothing to do with Nick before their purchase. Or to have some merchandise of the show and the original show not the Disney version.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:56 AM   #6
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Yeah I agree. I also didn't like Mrs. Dink as the mayor because I felt she lost the dry sarcastic humor she had originally. Though I think she became the mayor in one episode in the Nick run, to be fair. Doug's 1st Movie I watched in theaters but couldn't remember a thing about it until I rewatched it a few weeks ago online. It was pretty forgettable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
A shame Disney doesn't care about the property and it'll be left to rot in the Disney vault.
Not that I want a reboot but it's be nice to have Doug be a part od all those nickelodeon crossover games instead of say Garfield or TMNT who have nothing to do with Nick before their purchase. Or to have some merchandise of the show and the original show not the Disney version.
You'd think the creator or Nickelodeon would try and purchase Doug back since Nick still own the 4 seasons that ran on their channel. Might as well pay for the rest of the IP. No Quailman shirt is an absolute crime!

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 05-18-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:22 PM   #7
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I never got into it, but I know plenty of people that did like it....until the Disney version anyway.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:38 PM   #8
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Doug was awesome
Old 05-18-2022, 04:03 PM   #9
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
You'd think the creator or Nickelodeon would try and purchase Doug back since Nick still own the 4 seasons that ran on their channel. Might as well pay for the rest of the IP. No Quailman shirt is an absolute crime!
Well Disney prefers to let things rot in the vault, they don't sell. Viacom likely doesn't see much financial reason to buy Doug either sadly.

They won't even buy the rights for the original toon of the TMNT which is likely far cheaper and it's something they constantly refer to since it's the most important TMNT cartoon.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:49 AM   #10
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
They won't even buy the rights for the original toon of the TMNT which is likely far cheaper
You can only buy stuff that IS on sale. We should stop thinking that money can buy everything.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:44 PM   #11
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

I am a huge Doug fan. I even have a Beets Killer Tofu 95 t-shirt. It is probably my favorite shirt. Watch out when buying the complete dvds because I am pretty sure all the clear case ones are bootlegs. I bought 2 different ones on ebay from 2 different sellers and they both skipped all over. Get the one with the black case that has the barcodes on the dvds. They are kinda rare, but they don't skip all over like the other kind.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:09 AM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The Rocko thread got.me thinking. Would you guys have wanted your favorite cancelled Nicktoons to get more seasons by Disney. Like a Brand Spanking New "Hey Arnold" / Aah real Monsters / Rocko etc?
Those properties basically died with Nick at least even if not as good Doug got more episodes.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:10 AM   #13
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The Rocko thread got.me thinking. Would you guys have wanted your favorite cancelled Nicktoons to get more seasons by Disney. Like a Brand Spanking New "Hey Arnold" / Aah real Monsters / Rocko etc?
Those properties basically died with Nick at least even if not as good Doug got more episodes.
No. I'm of the mind that the Jungle Movie should be the last thing ever for Hey Arnold, and that's that. No more. I don't want Hey Arnold to get ruined like many other shows have.

As for the others you listed, also no, because Disney would never be able to replicate the tone those shows had.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:13 AM   #14
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I meant if it had happened in the 90s. It's cool we got those revival movies as adults but i would've enjoyed more having new episode of cartoons I loved as s kid. No matter how bad things viewed through a kids eyes are always more memorable
Old 05-24-2022, 09:16 AM   #15
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I meant if it had happened in the 90s. It's cool we got those revival movies as adults but i would've enjoyed more having new episode of cartoons I loved as s kid. No matter how bad things viewed through a kids eyes are always more memorable
Eh. Answer is the same, basically.

Disney wouldn't be able to replicate the tone. They couldn't with Doug, and that had the same creator, and most of the same staff Nick had too.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:19 PM   #16
Icebot
Foot Elite

Doug is one of my favorite shows. I don’t think Disney should have done all those changes with the show, I did enjoy their version though. Last year I saw some Disney episodes I haven’t seen since 2002 after finding out it’s on Disney Plus.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:26 PM   #17
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well the Nick show ended with Doug graduating Elementary, it made sense for things to change in the next show since life changes. I always felt that MTV's Undergrad cartoon was a sequel to Doug. Not only because the main character dresses as Doug and acts like a loser during the show not knowing how to handle social situations but also his supporting cast can kind of seem like what Roger/Skeet/Patti etc would be like in their college years. It's real in my headcanon.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:43 PM   #18
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I was never a fan of the franchise when it was owned by either Nickelodeon or Disney. I really hated the way that Doug was treated by his friends and family and other adults. There are too many examples to count.
  • His aunt made him go on a TV show for babies.
  • His friends were hypocrites when they thought he dressed like a TV actor when they were doing it more than him.
  • He had a substitute teacher who was so naive by thinking he was a bad kid for all of the wrong reasons and she not qualified to be teaching.
  • He and his baseball teammates were forced to play a position that had no experience in.
  • Porkchop was harshly misjudged for trying to protect BeBe for fallowing into thin ice. It was just as sad as what Mrs. Jumbo went through in ‘Dumbo’ during a somewhat similar misunderstanding.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote