The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-16-2022, 11:02 PM   #81
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Hayden really grew up.

Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:07 AM   #82
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I really don't have any sympathy whatsoever for the actors or creators who get "harassed on the internet" and complain about it. Not one iota. People have been saying mean things on the internet since the internet. Who cares? Get thicker skin or get out of the industry, I say. Nothing seems more pathetic to me than people -- particularly successful people -- claiming victimhood status because of tweets or nasty posts. If those things can "ruin their lives," then that says way more about them than the people making the tweets or posts.
It's not just mean things on the internet. It's people foaming at the mouth over the existence of other people. This sort of behavior is what's given birth to cancel culture. A lot of these fans take it three steps ahead, and literally stalk, harass, send dead animals to their mail, campaign to have them not get roles again, etc. It's one thing to say "I hate Jake Lloyd, he sucked in Phantom Menace", and another to have your Twitter followers call a studio and demand Jake Lloyd never work again (which I think literally happened to him and Best). I'm not really a fan of celebrities, mind you, though I don't think even they deserve to get harassed because they starred in a bad movie, and typically this also extends to the rest of populace as well.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:50 AM   #83
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I really don't have any sympathy whatsoever for the actors or creators who get "harassed on the internet" and complain about it. Not one iota. People have been saying mean things on the internet since the internet. Who cares? Get thicker skin or get out of the industry, I say. Nothing seems more pathetic to me than people -- particularly successful people -- claiming victimhood status because of tweets or nasty posts. If those things can "ruin their lives," then that says way more about them than the people making the tweets or posts.
There is a difference between displeasure and harassment.
And while generally I agree that Internet harassment is definitely doesn't count as a real violence, being constantly insulted for years by autistic manchildren, because, you played character WRONG can be pretty exhausting and stupid, even for people with a good mental health and actors are usually not that.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:53 AM   #84
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
There is a difference between displeasure and harassment.
And while generally I agree that Internet harassment is definitely doesn't count as a real violence, being constantly insulted for years by autistic manchildren, because, you played character WRONG can be pretty exhausting and stupid, even for people with a good mental health and actors are usually not that.
I can understand it being a nuisance (though, do they really HAVE to read it or engage with it? what is forcing them?) but no, not at the level where they're claiming their lives have been impacted in any measure beyond background noise on the internet when they so choose to look at it.

If Hayden Christiansen was getting out of his car and people were routinely throwing soda on him shouting, "Hey, you SUCK as Anakin!" then that's something else entirely.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:00 AM   #85
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
If Hayden Christiansen was getting out of his car and people were routinely throwing soda on him shouting, "Hey, you SUCK as Anakin!" then that's something else entirely.
They have. Ahmed Best said this has actually happened to him a lot.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:10 AM   #86
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
They have. Ahmed Best said this has actually happened to him a lot.
As long as we're being clear and talking about IRL stuff and not mean tweets and posts then I agree, yes. That's messed up.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:35 AM   #87
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
As long as we're being clear and talking about IRL stuff and not mean tweets and posts then I agree, yes. That's messed up.
Well, there's mass harassment campaigns that happen online that spill into real life. Basically cancel culture. It happens to regular joes as well, and it's harder for non-celebrities to get back on their feet after being cancelled and harassed in real life.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:10 PM   #88
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Well, there's mass harassment campaigns that happen online that spill into real life. Basically cancel culture.
I'd be careful about misrepresenting what cancel culture is, because cancel culture is a very specific thing and I'm not sure about lumping in other very specific things in there with it. Cancel culture is going after someone and destroying their livelihood/ability to provide for themselves or their families, period. Cancel culture is not some actor getting heckled at an airport or the grocery store something.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:41 PM   #89
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I'd be careful about misrepresenting what cancel culture is, because cancel culture is a very specific thing and I'm not sure about lumping in other very specific things in there with it. Cancel culture is going after someone and destroying their livelihood/ability to provide for themselves or their families, period. Cancel culture is not some actor getting heckled at an airport or the grocery store something.
But...launching campaigns to prevent the actors from working is destroying their livelihood and ability to provide for their families.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:51 PM   #90
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
But...launching campaigns to prevent the actors from working is destroying their livelihood and ability to provide for their families.
I'm a little bit doubtful there was any such campaign professing to do that, at least for the actors in question. Can you show me?

Now, I'm sure there is actual cancel culture campaigns. Like "Fire Jordan Peterson!" and so on. "Fire Amber Heard!" certainly. I guess that is cancel culture.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:40 PM   #91
IMJ
Emperor

Cancel culture would have no legs if organizations didn't bow down to the mob. In a society of capitalism, the dollar is your mechanism of choice. Organizations should respond to that rather than a singularly loud group of blue hairs on twitter.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:35 PM   #92
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

First two episodes premiere this Friday

Quote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi
@obiwankenobi
ยท
4h
The time for the Jedi is over.

Start streaming the two-episode premiere of #ObiWanKenobi this Friday on
@DisneyPlus
. Art by
@cmloweART
Old 05-25-2022, 06:53 PM   #93
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The black actress in this was advised she would probably be getting a lot of racist blowback about being in the show:

https://fanfest.com/lucasfilm-advise...LXGrtrOWGfHaok
Old 05-25-2022, 08:33 PM   #94
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
The black actress in this was advised she would probably be getting a lot of racist blowback about being in the show:

https://fanfest.com/lucasfilm-advise...LXGrtrOWGfHaok
of course she was. lucas film divides and conquers now with this brain washing crap. even hayden claims to 'like the sequels ' now..

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:14 AM   #95
CyberCubed
Overlord

Probably didn't help there were no major black actors in the original Star Wars trilogy. Or Asians. That's why Rose stuck out. The humans in Star Wars are aliens, why would they have all the same races our Earth does? Is there an African planet and an Asian planet somewhere with humans in space? It really doesn't make much sense when you think about it since on Star Wars all the humans don't come from the same planet anyway.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:42 AM   #96
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Probably didn't help there were no major black actors in the original Star Wars trilogy.
Lando Calrissian just doesn't exist to you, Slapnuts? He was in one-and-a-half movies of the original trilogy for f*ck's sake. He was a huge deal. What are you even on about this morning?

Go have two cups of coffee and a good tug, then come back and try this again with a clear head and empty balls. F*cking JESUS, man.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:48 AM   #97
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Lando Calrissian just doesn't exist to you, Slapnuts? He was in one-and-a-half movies of the original trilogy for f*ck's sake. He was a huge deal. What are you even on about this morning?

Go have two cups of coffee and a good tug, then come back and try this again with a clear head and empty balls. F*cking JESUS, man.
I was about to remind him of Billy Dee/Lando, albeit without the suggestion of a good, morning tug.

On a nerdier note, I think in Star Wars, humans aren't categorized by race at all, if I'm not mistaken, and are all labeled as 'human' regardless of skin color.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:52 AM   #98
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
I was about to remind him of Billy Dee/Lando, albeit without the suggestion of a good, morning tug.
Sheeeit I already had mine and am on to a hearty breakfast of mac and cheese. My day's going fantastic and it's not even 9.

I mean, I love Cubed but sometimes when he opens his mouth his ass falls out. But I am willing to believe he simply didn't get his required 6 gallons of caffeine before breakfast yet, because he's usually a lot sharper than to forget f*cking LANDO of all people. That had to have been a brain queef. He's better than that.

Or maybe, instead of coffee, he just needs some good old fashioned Colt .45.

...Some young punk is gonna ask me to explain why that's a joke and I'm gonna have to set them on fire, I just know it.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:58 AM   #99
superstaff
Mad Scientist

To play Devil's Advocate, I think he meant major, as in, the main-main cast? The trio plus Yoda, Vader, etc. Some people don't seem to actually include Lando in that group. Personally, I do, because he was a prominent presence especially in ESB.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:06 AM   #100
Leo656
The Franchise

He got to blow up the motherf*cking Death Star 2.0, what the f*ck do people want? He arguably did more in Jedi than Han or Leia did. They (mostly) tied up dangling plot threads, Lando actually Did Stuff.