The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 01-16-2022, 08:17 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

The 1980's to the present day is the same amount of time as 1940 was to 1980

1980 is exactly 40 years ago. That means 1980 to the present day is the same amount of time as the year 1940 was to 1980.

Now imagine being around in 1940 during World War II and still being around in the 80's. Now our generation has been around from roughly the same timespan to the present day.

We're now as old as our grandparents were during the 80's.

WTF
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:23 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

The 1940s doesn't seem that far away even today. There are a ton of photos/videos from that era, and many people still alive who lived during that time (Albeit only those who were children then are still alive now).

The World War 2 era feels like living history, since those times still shape the world to this day.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:29 PM   #3
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

You're terrible at math.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:39 PM   #4
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Yes, Cybercubed, that is how time works....

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:49 PM   #5
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Yep, my grandma was 40 when I was born, and I'm 40 now. Sounds about right.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:44 AM   #6
Icebot
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
1980 is exactly 40 years ago. That means 1980 to the present day is the same amount of time as the year 1940 was to 1980.
This is 2022 so that makes it 42 years, now 1938 is the other way around.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:03 AM   #7
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
The World War 2 era feels like living history, since those times still shape the world to this day.
When the Berlin Wall was demolished in November 1989 and Western democracy spread across Eastern Europe through the 1990's and early 2000's, memories of World War II faded away deeper and deeper into the past. The former military dictatorships in Central and South America were also overthrown.

The world came together, guided by Western democracy. Wars between countries became history. There were still some civil wars but at the end, they had to stop fighting, as no sides were backed up by the major powers of the Cold War as they once had been.

By early 2014 (Crimea Crisis), we see extreme nationalism growing especially in Eastern Europe. The international ingegration process is falling apart. Meanwhile, the PR China is developing its social credit system (Thank you, Corona for at least postponing it) and attempting to become a new superpower. World War II memories are returning again, and it is not fun.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 01-17-2022 at 05:35 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:52 AM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
You're terrible at math.
Rounding for decades, its been 40 years for both.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:31 AM   #9
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

People don't say "exactly" when rounding.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:38 AM   #10
AquaParade
Banned

Are you diagnosed with OCD? Wondering because you seem slightly obsessed with time and age.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:49 AM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Are you diagnosed with OCD? Wondering because you seem slightly obsessed with time and age.
If not OCD, I'm sure Cubed has.... something.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:47 PM   #12
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
When the Berlin Wall was demolished in November 1989 and Western democracy spread across Eastern Europe through the 1990's and early 2000's, memories of World War II faded away deeper and deeper into the past. The former military dictatorships in Central and South America were also overthrown.

The world came together, guided by Western democracy. Wars between countries became history. There were still some civil wars but at the end, they had to stop fighting, as no sides were backed up by the major powers of the Cold War as they once had been.

By early 2014 (Crimea Crisis), we see extreme nationalism growing especially in Eastern Europe. The international ingegration process is falling apart. Meanwhile, the PR China is developing its social credit system (Thank you, Corona for at least postponing it) and attempting to become a new superpower. World War II memories are returning again, and it is not fun.
I think the next global conflict is inevitable between Authoritarian states and the Western Democracies. The big superpowers of each side are trying to maximise their spheres of influence, and for good reason, if it ever comes to push and shove in the future.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:49 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

And it only gets worse from here.

Spoiler:
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:03 PM   #14
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
Yep, my grandma was 40 when I was born, and I'm 40 now. Sounds about right.
Being a grandma at 40. This doesn't happen anymore now. A lot of folks have their first child at around 35.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:19 PM   #15
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Except for those of us born some years after 1980 and/or had or have grandparents born some years before 1940.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Being a grandma at 40. This doesn't happen anymore now. A lot of folks have their first child at around 35.
Except in some places where people are married and having their first child at around 20, which I've seen a number of around me.
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:49 PM   #16
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Very true.. My grandma was 17 when she gave birth to my mom. My wife and I had our first child last year, at the ages of 42 and 32.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:46 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Wondering because you seem slightly obsessed with time and age.
Since most of us are headed toward middle age, you don't ponder how our time in the spotlight is nearly over? Obviously when we're senior citizens we're not going to be doing much, so the next 20ish years for a lot of us...is basically it.

Once I realized there was a whole younger generation of teenagers and early 20 year olds about a decade or more younger than me, I knew I was officially no longer "young and hip."
Old 01-18-2022, 04:17 PM   #18
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I dunno where she heard it, but my mom likes to say any day you live past 75 is a miracle. Having just turned 41 last month, I'm hoping to live to be atleast 80.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:28 PM   #19
Prowler
Emperor

Well, time and our perception of it is a funny thing indeed.

I feel like any year before 2007 or so belongs to a very distant galaxy. The years of 2007-2009 are very old for me but don't feel like they belong to a past life if mine like the years before that do.

2010 and beyond? That's when I began loisng track of time.

I guess by the time I was 16-17 when I started to grow up and my adult personality was beginning to form into what I am today. Before that I still felt like a kid. Which probably explains why anything before 11th grade belongs to a completely different era for me.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:28 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

People generally lose track of time when they become adults and school/college is over because then nothing really changes besides if you start a family. You just go to various jobs and well...everything is the same.