The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-25-2021, 07:24 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

The Dan Slott run on Archie

I recently got around to reading Dan Slott's run on Archie, it's the one that lasted three issues and was renumbered after the 72 issue series.

Aside from the awkwardness of starting off by parodying the Power Rangers, I found it to be somewhat interesting. Obviously it was just set-up for potential future stories that never came to be, so of course the story isn't too spectacular, but I will say that the Turtles stopping Shredder from becoming the most powerful man in the world does mean the series got a more fitting ending than the 72 issue series did. Considering how it turned out, maybe the ending would have worked a little better if Yoshi actually got to remain a man? I will say that the art is much better than almost any of the previous issues Archie published, so if nothing else there is that.

It kind of makes me wonder though, what would have happend if Slott got to contiue? Would it have had the same strengths and flaws of his Spider-Man run?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

It was very good as it functioned as a series ender since Archie didn't get a proper conclusion. I'm not sure if I would have wanted it to go on though.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
Galactus
Foot Elite

I don't really view Year Of The Turtle as a conclusion of the Archie series. It's clearly a separate continuity to the main Adventures series. Putting aside the design differences you have things like a reference to Casey Jones and Shredder being on present day Earth. If anything it's an attempt to start a reboot series, had it sold we'd have gotten a ongoing probably by the same creative team. As for Slott's writing. He was a writer different back then and I don't think his Amazing Spider-Man run would provide much clues to how his hypothetical TMNT run would be.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:18 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

That time Slott started a Dromer account to leave a few comments:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...t=57845&page=2

And just like that, as mysteriously as he arrived, he was gone.

EDIT:
Also, here's the big discussion thread on his TMNT run:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57845

EDIT x2:
https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1374578948835774471
He tweeted about it last week!
Quote:
The new status quo for Michelangelo would've seen him re-mutated, but reduced to a more innocent/childlike state (for a while). And Splinter would've remained a normal human (for a while) too. Just changing things up to create new stories, opportunities, and problems for them.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 04-01-2021 at 06:30 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:11 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, when I was a kid I read that mini-series as a "testing the waters" reboot, not as any kind of continuation of the previous Archie book. I had no idea about any licensing problems, or that Archie wouldn't be doing the TMNT comics anymore, or anything like that.

At the time, it just felt like "Maybe the TMNTA book has run its course (despite not getting an actual ending of any satisfaction) and this is their way of seeing if they can keep it going with an all new direction." I assumed it didn't do well and thus they didn't do more TMNT books; like I said, I had no idea about the business side of things at the time.

It didn't look or feel at all like it had much to do with TMNTA, so I took it as a "soft reboot" that maybe allowed you to pretend the stuff from TMNTA had happened, but I definitely didn't read it as any sort of "continuation" because it was so disconnected. Like, it had the same publisher, that's it; otherwise the two series were very different.

At the time, I thought it was okay but I would have much preferred three issues worth of story to properly tie up the TMNTA ongoing series. I still kind of feel that way, honestly. Nothing wrong with the mini-series as its own thing, but it didn't "need" to exist while one could argue that TMNTA "needed" a proper ending.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote