The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #7501
newfan
Mad Scientist

Just finishing up The Hitman's Bodyguard. Makes a change from my usual selection but entertained so far. I often like Samuel L Jackson in his roles though, Reynolds too.

Last edited by newfan; 04-04-2019 at 02:51 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #7502
neatoman
Emperor

Pet Sematary, the new one. Pretty scary but the ending is fairly anti-climactic.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #7503
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
His art was a bit too "what if Liefeld's art style and J Scott Campbell's art style had a baby" for my taste.
Wow, that's extremely mean. Mike's art was definitely "stiff" (hence what I refer to as being overly "pin-up"), but at least he had a basic grasp of proportion and body structure.

I'm neutral on Campbell, but Liefeld is like, the anti-christ of "professional" art. I'd never lump anyone in with THAT guy unless they personally done me wrong somehow, like if they owed me money or something.
---------------

Almost forgot, finally saw Aquaman. Very good. Could'a used more Black Manta.

The entire "jump out of a plane into a desert, and OH, we're going into the desert and we're not sure how long we're gonna be gone or even if we'll find what we're looking for, but let's not bother bringing even a canteen or anything, it's JUST the Sahara after all, I'm sure we'll immediately find what we're looking for through the magic of Contrivance and definitely not die of exposure and severe dehydration" thing was f*cking bananas. Easily the most contrived nonsense I've seen in any film for a long time, but it only really jumped out because the rest of the movie was so tight.

The action scenes and especially the fight scenes were great. At times there was serious Exposition Overload and long stretches of people talking to each other but I guess that was pretty unavoidable. It was more violent than I was expecting. Altogether, I didn't find it to be the revelation some people apparently did, but it was an easy A. For whatever it's worth, I don't think anyone could make a better Aquaman movie than that one.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 04-05-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #7504
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Shazam! I nearly loved it. I'd kind of want to see him interact with the Justice League eventually, because it could be hilarious.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #7505
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Nighthawks 4/6

November man 3/6 (mediocre , just a lot of shooting
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #7506
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Bloody fists 3/6 , boring except the ending which was decent
Old 04-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #7507
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Saw Shazam last weekend, actually enjoyed it. One of the better entries in the DCCU, imo.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #7508
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Saw Shazam last weekend, actually enjoyed it. One of the better entries in the DCCU, imo.
I saw Shazam recently as well (Tuesday just gone), and i agree with this
Old 04-21-2019, 02:18 AM   #7509
Leo656
The Franchise

Not a movie per se, but started another marathon of Twin Peaks since I just picked up the 2017 series and haven't seen it yet.

Finished the original pilot and first three episodes so far. I don't think I have the vocabulary to express my admiration of David Lynch. Can't wait to get to the new stuff.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:02 AM   #7510
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

QAccidental love 2/6 , just plain boring and unfunny

Ferris Bueller 4.5/6 , prolly seen it before , I remember the dog scene
Old 04-25-2019, 12:28 AM   #7511
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Avengers: Endgame. Highly recommended.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:00 AM   #7512
Leo656
The Franchise

My limited abilities of vocabulary and expression are insufficient to articulate my admiration for the works of David Lynch.

That is all.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #7513
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Ninja killer 1/6

Terrible fight scenes , terrible editing.....even more shoddy than a HK prod

(turkish version i saw was missing Bolo and Carter Wong)

At least Adventure in Denmark is kinda entertaining.....Its just not a proper kf but a comedy , thats more than one can say about this mess
Old 04-28-2019, 12:07 AM   #7514
Leo656
The Franchise

So I just spent the past week watching the entire Twin Peaks saga (1990 series through the 2017 series) and I know I'm going to spend at least the next week trying to figure out just exactly what the f*ck I just witnessed. There's so much I need to unpack now.

WOW. Greatest goddamn thing I've ever seen. Fantastic.

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:21 AM   #7515
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
So I just spent the past week watching the entire Twin Peaks saga (1990 series through the 2017 series) and I know I'm going to spend at least the next week trying to figure out just exactly what the f*ck I just witnessed. There's so much I need to unpack now.

WOW. Greatest goddamn thing I've ever seen. Fantastic.

Amazing. Simply amazing.
https://media.giphy.com/media/7PwOZJLNYUkU/200.gif
He's my biggest cinematic inspiration. You should watch "Mulholland Dr" if you haven't already. Also "Lost Highway." "Blue Velvet" is great, but so different from his other stuff... it's the most like a traditional movie, even more so than something like "Dune." "Eraserhead" is fantastic and horrifying.

Only movie of his I'd avoid is "Inland Empire." As he's admitted, there is no code to crack here or mystery to figure out. As an experiment, he literally just cobbled together a bunch of random crap and threw it out there to see what people would make of it. Sort of felt like a betrayal when I read that years later, but I forgive him.

The new Twin Peaks is awesome beyond compare. I hope dearly we get more someday.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:53 AM   #7516
Leo656
The Franchise

I watched Blue Velvet for the first time a couple'a weeks ago. Bought it the same day I picked up Twin Peaks 2017, actually. Loved it. Among many things, Lynch is phenomenal at framing stories of abused and suffering people in a realistic way that gives those people a voice and creates genuine emotional empathy within the viewer. So much of his work is genuinely "uncomfortable", but it's REAL, and it creates real feelings and emotions. Blue Velvet isn't the kind of movie I would want to watch every day - nor is "Fire Walk With Me" - but they're both among the most absolutely beautiful and disturbing things I have EVER seen.

Which isn't to say that there's nothing but overwhelming darkness in his work. Part of what I adore about Twin Peaks is how it excels at EVERYTHING, every style and genre from mystery to comedy to soap opera to suspense/thriller, and more. When I watch, I'm completely engaged in a way I rarely am with other TV/films. I don't want to blink, I want to see what's next, even when I already know. I adore and feel for the characters. I'm intrigued by their own stories and motivations. I feel their joy and their fear and their affection and their love. I'm trying to make sense of the abstract and surreal and fit it in context with the mundane and sublime. And the things I can't quite force to fit just yet are nonetheless going to be on my mind for a long, long time because they're just SO much fun to pick at and explore from every angle.

I love how, as an artist, Lynch just refuses to explain most of what it is he's trying to convey and would prefer that the viewer do the heavy lifting for themselves. As far as Twin Peaks, I think I have 99% of it sorted insofar as what "officially" happened, but y'know what's grand? I've read a million different ideas that all have their own angle and they're all fun, too, even if they're "incorrect". Just the idea that a piece of work can be interpreted so many different ways speaks volumes.

I love to think. I love to be engaged completely in my entertainment. I love to go on a "journey" and really go places and feel things. And I must say, this was an unforgettable and thoroughly, supremely engaging and fulfilling experience. Especially the 2017 series. I LOVE the original show and the movie, but 2017 was on a whole other level. Episode 8 by itself! I had very blank expectations going in, but whatever I was expecting, it certainly wasn't any of that. I couldn't have even begun to predict any of that, and it was so far beyond anything I ever wanted. It wasn't the continuation (or "ending") I would have ever predicted, but somehow, it feels like it simply HAD to be exactly what it is.

It stays with you, man.

What's even better is that my wife fell in love with it, too. See, I'm well aware that many people don't "get" Lynch, and she and I don't always like the same shows and movies, but she immediately "got it". She was legit upset when we finally got to the end, not because of the ending - which was brilliant - but simply because it had to end at all. This was a rare experience. Transcendent, even.

Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive are the next two on the list, for sure. I confess, I've only seen snippets of either, but cannot wait to finally see them in full. I can't get enough of Lynch's style. The visuals, the music, the characters, the self-referential stuff... pure art. Not very commercial, but it's pure in a way that few things ever are.

I'll definitely let you know what I think, and I'm glad we can connect on this. And I agree, even though half the original cast has passed away - creating some truly, TRULY poignant and bittersweet moments in the 2017 show - I would stay in this world forever. I don't even need explanations or answers, I just need MORE.

This has been a fun week.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:18 AM   #7517
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I've taken Lynch's "masterclass." Man, he's just such a character in himself. He's all about weaponizing dreams and meditation. That man needs to be given 100 million dollar budgets to be doing movies every year... unless Twin Peaks season 4 is going to happen... then he would need to focus on that!

Fun fact: "Mulholland Dr" was initially intended as a TV spinoff for Twin Peaks starring Audrey, as she attempts to break into Hollywood. When that didn't happen he retooled it as something not with Audrey, but it didn't get picked up. Then he shot more footage around that to make it a standalone movie.

It might even be my favorite movie ever.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:38 AM   #7518
Leo656
The Franchise

That much, I do know about. I easily spend as much time reading about films I haven't seen yet as I do watching films in general. I'm obsessed with "making-of" and behind the scenes stuff. Sometimes those stories are just as interesting as the final product, if not moreso. Based on what I've read so far, I'm quite sure Mulholland Drive is going to be a lot of fun to watch, and perhaps even more fun to think on after.

He's such a Renaissance Man, as well. Film and music and painting, etc. etc., and how he puts so much of himself in his work. His work feels personal and intimate because it comes from such a deeply personal place. I really dig it. I was so, so glad that Gordon Cole had such a huge role in the 2017 series. You could tell he was having a blast, especially all of his scenes with Albert/Miguel Ferrer. And man, speaking of Miguel Ferrer, did that dude bring it to his last big role before his untimely passing, or what? I knew he had a role, but I couldn't believe what a huge role he actually played. Such a shame he passed away, but man, what a way to go out. Same could be said of every other actor who sadly passed during or after the filming, of course.

But yeah, I'd kill to sit and have a beer (or coffee and pie ) with Lynch and just shoot the sh*t. He seems like a really fun guy. Everyone who's ever worked with him raves about him. I sincerely hope he gets to do a lot more work in the years to come, since he's kinda getting up there.

I've heard a lot of people trash Dune. I haven't seen it yet. What's the supposed problem? Is it really problematic or did people simply not "get it"? I mean, all I ever heard up until like 5 years ago was how "Fire Walk With Me" was one of the worst things ever set upon the Earth, and now it's (rightly) hailed as a masterpiece (as indecipherable to the uninitiated/unfamiliar as it admittedly is). Sometimes things are "bad", and sometimes they're really great and it just takes people a while to catch up. I hear a lot of people dismiss Dune so I'm curious what your take is before I see it.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:43 AM   #7519
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
But yeah, I'd kill to sit and have a beer (or coffee and pie ) with Lynch and just shoot the sh*t. He seems like a really fun guy. Everyone who's ever worked with him raves about him. I sincerely hope he gets to do a lot more work in the years to come, since he's kinda getting up there.
From what I've heard... and I hope it's not true... meeting Lynch might be a case of, "Don't meet your heroes."

Quote:
I've heard a lot of people trash Dune. I haven't seen it yet. What's the supposed problem? Is it really problematic or did people simply not "get it"? I mean, all I ever heard up until like 5 years ago was how "Fire Walk With Me" was one of the worst things ever set upon the Earth, and now it's (rightly) hailed as a masterpiece (as indecipherable to the uninitiated/unfamiliar as it admittedly is). Sometimes things are "bad", and sometimes they're really great and it just takes people a while to catch up. I hear a lot of people dismiss Dune so I'm curious what your take is before I see it.
Lynch largely refuses to talk about Dune because of all the studio interference. It's like Fincher with Alien 3.

It's fine, to me. It's hard to be objective about it, as I saw it as a little kid and slept in Dune movie bedsheets and all. I don't like how he changed the ending to rainbows and joy, but that could have been part of the studio interference that pissed him off. Super memorable, iconic scenes.

Absolutely worth watching, for sure.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:51 AM   #7520
Leo656
The Franchise

Interesting, interesting.

I'd still take the chance on meeting, on account of, I've met tons of "those people" and they've consistently been terrific, at least with me. Most notably, Notorious Dick Kevin Nash, for example. Total sweetheart. I think some people get caught at a bad time and perhaps others are bad at reading their signals. I'unno. My luck generally runs pretty good. I'd risk a hearty handshake and a heartfelt "Thanks for everything", if nothing else.

I've heard people say that Lynch doesn't like when people ask him to explain or go into too much detail about his work, but to be honest, that must get irritating. He must get that constantly.

Dune is on the list. The plan is to clean up next time we hit the FYE at the mall, probably later this week. It's cool that my wife is really excited to see these things, as well. I hadn't expected all that.

Tags
movies