The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #41
sdp
-

Watched the first two episodes and man now I'm hooked, it's easily the most entertaining show I've ever watched. Not nostalgia either since I hadn't watched the Karate Kid until like 3 years ago. I'm glad they played with the Daniel was the bad guy meme but didn't over do it since the original video was for comedic purposes but some things mentioned fit perfectly with this show.

This show just gets things so right, it's new/fresh and yet respects the source material, why can't other revivals do the same?

I was sure they were going to retcon the sequels since they're kinda out there but they already referenced the second movie. I wonder if they reference the third, I mean wouldn't the sensei and his vietnam buddy own the name of Cobra Kai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I am curious how much of a local celebrity a kid can become after winning a high school karate tournament.
I mean, he won with an injured leg and a flashy movie, I can see a video tape of this thing becoming an early viral video online in the early 2000's. Also the show doesn't imply that because he got famous from the karate tournament he became successful.

This is especially true if we count the films in continuity where he isn't famous and already failed at a business. He seems to love Japanese culture as seen in the movies and this show so when he started his used car sales business he just used his karate gimmick in commercials and it worked. The free bonsai is a tribute to Mr. Miyagi who you can tell he still really loves.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:38 PM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm going to discontinue watching episodes (again, I finished 3) until I rewatch Karate Kid 1-4.

I heard there's some nods to "The Next Karate Kid." Is that true? And wasn't there something in that movie about Larusso having moved away from California?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:44 AM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Finally saw the entirety of "Cobra Kai." I can say nothing but great things about this. The reviews are right... it's absolutely the best thing we never knew we wanted. It's awesome beyond all measure, more entertaining, moving, funny, and with more heart than I had any idea it would have. I can't say a single bad thing about it, not one. Not even nitpicks (OK, maybe just one: since KK2 and KK3 are obviously in canon in this and mentioned at various times... why does Johnny get a worse rap as a Cobra Kai over, say, Mike Barnes from 3? that guy didn't give a f**k, he was going to drop Daniel off a mountain and punched women in the stomach for no reason).

Also, to prepare for "Cobra Kai," I rewatched all 4 of the movies which I literally haven't seen in about 20 years...

Karate Kid: Still awesome! I forgot many scenes in this, and I can tell a lot of the deeper stuff went over my head as a kid. Miyagi's drunken breakdown about his deceased, pregnant wife was particularly wrenching this time out.

Karate Kid: Part II: Also good. I dig the Japanese vibe and the raised stakes. For some reason the lighting in this really bothered me, at least at night. No matter which way anyone is facing in the movie, there's this flat, yellow light right in their face.

Karate Kid: Part III: I think I watched this more than any of the other ones as a kid. For some reason, part 3 was always on HBO/Cinemax/Showtime and never part 1 or 2. Maybe 1 sometimes.

The Next Karate Kid: Oh, man... so terrible. Even some pretty good Miyagi scenes can't save this one. There is no plot... the bad guys' motivations are nonexistent. Apparently the main guy really, really wants to rape Hillary Swank and doesn't like her sort-of boyfriend because... no reason? With Michael Ironside around to hate on Miyagi because... no reason? And did Miyagi really yank Swank's character out of high school mid-year for a few weeks? He'd never do that. Paper thin. But I'd love to see Swank return in a new season of Cobra Kai, particularly as one of the only two known, living students of Miyagi.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:23 PM   #44
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Mike Barnes from Karate Kid 3 is confirmed for season 2.

https://youtu.be/kPaBrd1F6tY
Old 06-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #45
sdp
-

I guess if the show gets a season 3 then Swank may get some role for an extra "umph" in marketing it "oh remember her? She's back in the popular Cobra Kai series". And if it gets like a season 4 or whatever then even Jaden Smith might be shoved in there, I mean that remake was well received IIRC and even though it follows the same theme of the original movie it doesn't use any of the characters names or exact situations.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
And if it gets like a season 4 or whatever then even Jaden Smith might be shoved in there, I mean that remake was well received IIRC and even though it follows the same theme of the original movie it doesn't use any of the characters names or exact situations.
Or any karate (there's a reason it was titled "Kung Fu Kid" in other countries). But yeah... there's technically no reason the events of the remake couldn't have happened in the KK universe.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-03-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #47
Roseangelo
Emperor

I finished season 2 last night and it was pretty amazing. I thought the whole season arc was great, but the last episode really blew me away. The fight at the school was just really well put together from a film-making perspective and then delivered some serious consequences for all of the characters.

Like season 1, the end leaves you hanging for what happens next. Pretty sure we'll hear an announcement for season 3 within the next week or so.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:13 PM   #48
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I finished season 2 last night
It's already out???? F*#*!!!!
Old 05-06-2019, 10:45 PM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Finished season 2. So fantastic. This is the best show ever. I don't even have one complaint about it.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #50
Allio
Foot Elite

Not really feeling the fight scenes with this show. I mean I wasn't exactly high quality choreography from a youtube series, but still...
Old 05-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Not really feeling the fight scenes with this show. I mean I wasn't exactly high quality choreography from a youtube series, but still...
There was plenty of dodgy moments in the big high school fight at the end... but mostly it's serviceable.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #52
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

They're going back to Okinawa for season 3!

https://geektyrant.com/news/cobra-ka...hE-jwzk6BraHI0
Old 01-07-2020, 03:30 AM   #53
Leo656
The Franchise

Thanks to Andrew for helping me find this thread. Much obliged, cuz!

SO, I picked up the DVD set of the first two Seasons a few weeks ago (It comes with a reversible Cobra Kai/Miyagi-Do headband! GET SOME! ), and finally binged the whole thing over the weekend.

Up front, a few things:
- I'm a huge Karate Kid fan and I've seen them all a million times, minus the remake, which I skipped on principle.
- I'm fiercely over-protective of my favorite things, especially things that impacted me greatly growing up.
- I don't generally like Nostalgic Fan-Wank.
- I don't like kid/teen actors.
- I'm cynical to a fault but give credit where it's due. I don't impress easy but if you win me over, I'm your biggest fan.

I put it off for a while because while I'd been reading about it here and there, I had serious doubts that it would be able to uphold the integrity of the franchise and/or revisit the story while moving it forward in a meaningful, satisfying way. Every single thing about it sounded like, "Could be cool, COULD be completely cheesy and terrible." The idea of Johnny Lawrence and Daniel LaRusso, in their 50s, putting their gear on and engaging in a "karate war" using their respective students as proxies while passive-aggressively "bonding" from time to time in their social lives just sounded like a Saturday Night Live Skit that didn't know when to end.

At best, I thought it would be good for a few laughs and some cheeky nostalgia, that I might like it but it would probably be nothing special.

Imagine my surprise when halfway through Season 1, it was already one of the BEST f*cking shows I've EVER seen, full-stop, no smoke. By the end of Episode 20, it was etched in stone. I can NOT say enough good things about it. It not only succeeds, but excels, in just about every area. I look at stuff that gets 100% on this or that ratings website, and I wonder who's sucking who off, because c'mon, nothing is THAT good. But this show just goes and shatters all expectations. It's sooooo good.

My wife and I got through 15 episodes on Saturday, and only stopped because it was getting late and she totally didn't want to start to doze off and miss a second of it, so we did the last 5 on Sunday. It was convenient, because there had just been a Karate Kid marathon on TV a few days ago, so everything was still very fresh in our minds. About five minutes into the first episode, we knew we'd struck gold; after that, it was just a question of, "Can the entire series sustain this level of quality over 20 episodes?" Yes, yes, YES it can. I never once got bored, never checked what time it was, and got annoyed whenever we had to switch discs because we were on such a roll.

- The Writing: This show is smart, clever, nostalgic, AND funny, and plays with your expectations the entire time, sometimes giving you what you expect but NEVER in the way you expect it to go, and other times completely turning your expectations upside-down. Like many others, I was terrified that they'd give in to temptation and make it super-cheesy and silly, but it's NOT like that at all. It knows when to be serious, it knows when to go for drama, it knows when to lean into full-blown nostalgia, it knows when to be funny, AND it knows how to seamlessly shift gears between ALL those things, turning from one to another on a dime. This is an incredibly well-written show, and that might be the last thing I ever expected from it.

Every moment, even ones that sound ridiculous on paper, feel earned. When Daniel finally puts on the gi, and the classic music plays, it doesn't feel hokey, it feels triumphant. That's quite a feat, and it encompasses the show as a whole: in a lesser hand, everything about this could be Just The Worst. But it's NOT, and that's amazing. Likewise, a full on "Karate War" between rival dojos that takes over the entire school? Sounds terrible on paper, but it's somehow F*cking Amazing. Everything that happens from one beat to the next feels like the logical extension of everything else that has happened before it; the Big Moments, the Small Moments, the in-between, all flowing parallel to each other, occasionally intertwining before splitting off in other, new directions, with every character getting their own little arc and journey... it's really, really, REALLY well-done. All 20 episodes felt absolutely integral and were all a lot of fun to watch.

- The Cast: Love it. First off, I didn't know any of these people aside from Macchio and Zabka (and Kove), and haven't seen them in too many non-Karate Kid roles to begin with. I was, let's say, mildly curious to see what might have become of Jonnny since he got choked out by Kreese in that parking lot, but I never felt like I HAD to know. Lo and behold, he manages to somehow position himself as the "Rocky" of the saga and completely pulls it off. And I was hearing that Daniel was the heel of the show, more or less, but to my pleasant surprise, he's more of an Accidental Dick, which feels completely organic to the character as we know him. Not only do they comfortably step back into their familiar roles, 30+ years later, they manage to inject way more growth and personality into them than the movies could have ever allowed. Same goes for Kove as John Kreese. You almost start to occasionally feel a drop of sympathy for him, but he never quite comes off as trustworthy, and with good reason, but the ambiguity is occasionally there, even though everyone knows you should Never trust a snake...

I'm on record as not being a fan of younger actors, but this group did a fantastic job all around. I'll get into more detail below, but I was a big fan of absolutely everyone. I really enjoy big, ensemble casts but it can be tough to balance everyone's stories and make everyone in an ensemble feel important, but despite the 30-minute running time, this show gives everyone plenty to do, and none of it feels like filler. I was never really wondering, "Hey, where's ______?" because every time I might, they'd immediately show up and do something cool. The kids playing Miguel and Hawk were the two stand-outs, for me, among the younger cast. But everyone was good.

I really enjoyed seeing how they got back as many of the original actors as they could, like Daniel's mom and the original Cobra Kai members. The episode with them was a real gem.

- The Acting: This is a YouTube show?

Seriously, there were plenty of times when I felt like I was watching a new film in the series, rather than a show. Nobody half-asses it, nobody phones it in... Stingray has a few moments that are a bit over-the-top but for the most part, everybody in it is fantastic. Zabka nails it, making Johnny mostly-sympathetic but not TOO sympathetic - he's still a prick, just a more honorable one - and his deadpan humor and stuck-in-the-past gimmick never wears itself out. It probably helps that I know a million Johnny's in real life. This is a thing that happens, people! But yeah, he's great. I had doubts about him as the protagonist but it's great.

You can tell Macchio is having the time of his life (Zabka, too). Just like back in the day, there's times you root for Daniel completely, and times you're like, "Ugh, REALLY dude?" He was never as smooth as he tried to come off, was always a bit of a dork and an Accidental Douchebag despite being the hero of the saga, and it's like literally seeing the exact same guy, 30+ years later, not just an actor revisiting a role. And he's just so completely into it and clearly having a blast. It's a lot of fun to watch. He's in it a lot more than I expected; it's really both of their show despite Johnny getting a bit more focus, and I'm fine with that. It all feels very fair and balanced in its presentation, neither one is completely Good or Bad, and they flip it a lot between them, sometimes within the same episode. Very skillful execution.

As mentioned, I pretty much liked everyone, including the younger cast. I was really pleasantly surprised at the transformation everyone went through over the 20 episodes. A lot of these kids were practically different people, by the end, and it was cool seeing them "evolve". Miguel and Hawk impressed me the most in how they were able to play polar-opposite personalities so believably, going from Super-Nerds to Alpha-Warriors in a completely organic fashion. It's in a lot of little things like posture, facial expressions, vocal inflections; Hawk, particularly, has tons of little cracks in his facade even early on that betray all his pomp and bravado is a desperate attempt to bury his real personality. He does a lot of acting with his eyes, it's really cool. I was really impressed with everyone, especially when they had to get physical. You could tell everyone really put a lot of work in.

(Cont.)

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:32 AM   #54
Leo656
The Franchise

- The Action: This REALLY blew me away. Things definitely got better as they went along, but all the while it was way better than I thought. I originally expected there'd be tons of cutting to wide-shots to constantly hide the stunt-fighters, y'know, cheesy B-movie stuff, and I wouldn't have even been mad at it, but WOW, these people did work! Towards the end, especially, as the fights get bigger and there's more single-shot scenes with lots of complicated choreography and fewer edits... it was really impressive. Once again, Hawk and Miguel really blew me away with some of the stuff they got to do, Robby too. But everything was really good, from everyone. Lots of brutal hits and throws, and the choreography of the moves always made sense, or at least looked like it did.

- Music: Perfection. Not just in choice of music, but use of music, as in placement and meaning. They use the music from the original film in just the right ways, but also "remix" and reinterpret some of it at times in some creative ways as well. They always know exactly which song to use where in order to get the perfect emotional reaction, whether it be to reinforce a joke or set up a somber moment, or whatever. Really great job, here.

- Humor: I gotta admit, I laughed way more than I expected to, but it always felt earned. Even the lowbrow stuff was perfectly-executed; I never thought "dick-in-the-mouth" jokes had any place in this franchise, BUT, apparently it can be done skillfully and actually be hilarious. But it's not TOO over-the-top; Some of the funniest bits are just Johnny being such a brick, or so unbelievably deadpan. "Nice shirt." "Thanks!" "I'm joking, it sucks." It's definitely funnier than the movies ever tried to be, but not in a bad way. Some of Stingray's antics in the Season 2 finale were a bit much, but I feel like that was a producers' suggestion as a way to balance out the violence and super-dark ending of the episode.

I laughed a lot, but I never felt bad about it. It's legitimately funny.

- Production Values: They don't try to do too much, but it's definitely of a far higher quality than I ever expected. There's a reasonably grand sense of scale to it all, and it doesn't feel like it's "cramped" or anything; they do a great job with multiple settings and set pieces and making everything feel organic and real. It feels much "bigger" than it ought to, given what it is. The visuals and music tie everything together. These people put a LOT of work into this show.
---------------

All in all... I really have NO complaints whatsoever... other than the wait for Season 3 is gonna KILL me! Worse than that, I'm definitely gonna want to own the disc for that, but they'll probably wait until after Season 4 to release that! Aaaaargh!

I really can't say enough good things. A+ all-around, one of the best shows I've ever seen. And it could have been terrible! That's what really kills me. By rights, it should have been lame. At best, it could have been Pretty Good. But GREAT? Dude, I love Karate Kid, but I never in a million years thought we'd get such a gift as this. This should not be possible.

Execution Is Everything.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:34 AM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Shesus, where is even a trailer for season 3? I'm dyin' over here.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:42 AM   #56
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Imagine my surprise when halfway through Season 1, it was already one of the BEST f*cking shows I've EVER seen, full-stop, no smoke. By the end of Episode 20, it was etched in stone. I can NOT say enough good things about it. It not only succeeds, but excels, in just about every area. I look at stuff that gets 100% on this or that ratings website, and I wonder who's sucking who off, because c'mon, nothing is THAT good. But this show just goes and shatters all expectations. It's sooooo good.
It IMMEDIATELY shatters expectations. My daughter right now is blown away by it, and even confirms this is how kids kind of talk nowadays (the sewing circle and whatnot). Yeesh!

Quote:
- The Writing: This show is smart, clever, nostalgic, AND funny, and plays with your expectations the entire time, sometimes giving you what you expect but NEVER in the way you expect it to go, and other times completely turning your expectations upside-down. Like many others, I was terrified that they'd give in to temptation and make it super-cheesy and silly, but it's NOT like that at all. It knows when to be serious, it knows when to go for drama, it knows when to lean into full-blown nostalgia, it knows when to be funny, AND it knows how to seamlessly shift gears between ALL those things, turning from one to another on a dime. This is an incredibly well-written show, and that might be the last thing I ever expected from it.
It can easily gear change from dating stuff to funny stuff to punching people in the face to Daniel suddenly reflecting on Miyagi very soulfully. And it never feels manufactured. Nor is there an ounce of agenda at work here.

Quote:
Every moment, even ones that sound ridiculous on paper, feel earned. When Daniel finally puts on the gi, and the classic music plays, it doesn't feel hokey, it feels triumphant. That's quite a feat, and it encompasses the show as a whole: in a lesser hand, everything about this could be Just The Worst. But it's NOT, and that's amazing. Likewise, a full on "Karate War" between rival dojos that takes over the entire school? Sounds terrible on paper, but it's somehow F*cking Amazing. Everything that happens from one beat to the next feels like the logical extension of everything else that has happened before it; the Big Moments, the Small Moments, the in-between, all flowing parallel to each other, occasionally intertwining before splitting off in other, new directions, with every character getting their own little arc and journey... it's really, really, REALLY well-done. All 20 episodes felt absolutely integral and were all a lot of fun to watch.
Absolutely! Like, I meant to just show my daughter maybe 2 at a time... but it's impossible. "No way, Dad! Let's keep going!" Etc..

Quote:
I'm on record as not being a fan of younger actors, but this group did a fantastic job all around. I'll get into more detail below, but I was a big fan of absolutely everyone. I really enjoy big, ensemble casts but it can be tough to balance everyone's stories and make everyone in an ensemble feel important, but despite the 30-minute running time, this show gives everyone plenty to do, and none of it feels like filler. I was never really wondering, "Hey, where's ______?" because every time I might, they'd immediately show up and do something cool. The kids playing Miguel and Hawk were the two stand-outs, for me, among the younger cast. But everyone was good.
Right? I went in fully expecting to get a little bit of Rocky 6-like nostaglia, with maybe half annoying kids and some OK ones.... they're ALL good. All of them. Every single one.

Except for the older guy who joins Cobra Kai in season 2. I don't think that hit the mark, and wasn't needed.

Quote:
You can tell Macchio is having the time of his life (Zabka, too).
Moreso Zabka (who as I vaguely understand was a big pushing factor in what made this happen at all). What I admire about Macchio is how he's able to sell the douchery, and dive into it. At the beginning, at least. I just love that almost everyone in this is damaged and changes so much, yet it's so organic.

Quote:
The Action: This REALLY blew me away. Things definitely got better as they went along, but all the while it was way better than I thought. I originally expected there'd be tons of cutting to wide-shots to constantly hide the stunt-fighters, y'know, cheesy B-movie stuff, and I wouldn't have even been mad at it, but WOW, these people did work! Towards the end, especially, as the fights get bigger and there's more single-shot scenes with lots of complicated choreography and fewer edits... it was really impressive. Once again, Hawk and Miguel really blew me away with some of the stuff they got to do, Robby too. But everything was really good, from everyone. Lots of brutal hits and throws, and the choreography of the moves always made sense, or at least looked like it did.
AMAZING choreography. Some hits were a little off, but far and wide GREAT! Way better than in the actual films.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:58 AM   #57
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, "Stingray" in Season 2 was the one bit that felt like "studio interference". But he was barely in it so he didn't bother me much. Definitely a "lesser" element though.

Yeah, I'm nervous because Season 3 was supposed to be out by now, I think, or at least originally. And like you said... no news. I automatically assumed back in March that it wasn't going to come out on time due to the pandemic, since literally nothing else is either, but now since we've heard nothing at all I'm concerned that there was a lot of last-minute type work that needed to be done and they didn't get to do it in time, and might not be able to do it at all until Question Mark. That would suck. But I think that's the case. And I think they're just not making a lot of noise about it because the show's been so popular they don't want to dishearten anyone until they know for sure whether they can proceed or not, and when.

I'm sure it'll be out before TOO long, though. What I'm REALLY concerned about, now, is Season 4. Whatever they might have had planned for that, well... they;ll almost definitely have to change those plans, now. And that could be another reason for the hold-up on Season 3.

I'unno. We'll see, I guess. I'm dying for Season 3 myself.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:27 PM   #58
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

This show is great!

Hopefully, they get Chozen's character for season 3 and I know the actor for Terry Silver is retired but gotta get him somehow because he's Terry feaking Silver!
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #59
Leo656
The Franchise

You don't "retire" from acting, you just hold out for more money.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm sure it'll be out before TOO long, though. What I'm REALLY concerned about, now, is Season 4. Whatever they might have had planned for that, well... they;ll almost definitely have to change those plans, now. And that could be another reason for the hold-up on Season 3.
And those kids are going to quickly become grown adults, if they haven't already. A dojo full of 20-somethings is far less interesting than a dojo full of kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFanatic4Life View Post
This show is great!

Hopefully, they get Chozen's character for season 3 and I know the actor for Terry Silver is retired but gotta get him somehow because he's Terry feaking Silver!
Chozen is confirmed for season 3 (he was seen on set filming) but what's not for sure is Kumiko. She's probably in it, though. I read over the actress' reddit she did a few days ago and of course people were bombarding her with "Are you in Cobra Kai season 3???" questions. The way she was answering them and, to other unrelated questions even encouraging people to check out Cobra Kai makes me pretty sure she is.

Though it sounds like the trip to Okinawa may not be as big of a deal as we might hope. It might just be one episode.