The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 11-09-2021, 02:21 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

RIP Dean Stockwell

Quote:
Former Quantum Leap star Dean Stockwell, an Oscar- and Emmy-nominated actor whose career on stage, in film and TV spanned more than 70 years, passed away in the early morning of November 7. He died peacefully at home of natural causes, a rep for the family confirmed to Deadline. He was 85.

Stockwell was born in 1936 in North Hollywood. By the time he was 7, he was on Broadway, launching a career as a child actor. He appeared in Anchors Aweigh with Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly, Kim with Errol Flynn, Gentleman’s Agreement and, most notably, in the controversial 1948 movie The Boy With the Green Hair.

As a young adult, Stockwell returned to the Broadway stage in Compulsion with Roddy McDowall, who became a lifelong friend. Stockwell reprised his role in the film version and won his first of two Best Actor awards at the Cannes Film Festival. He also starred in Sons and Lovers and Long Day’s Journey Into Night with Katherine Hepburn.

Stockwell was on the verge of a career change as he got a real estate license and packed up the family to leave Hollywood when he received a phone call from Harry Dean Stanton, who convinced him to join him on the set of Wim Wenders’ film, Paris, Texas. That led to a string of memorable film roles in Blue Velvet, Dune, Married to the Mob (which earned Stockwell an Academy Award nomination), The Rainmaker and The Player.

In was in television where Stockwell delivered his signature performance, on the quirky, sci-fi TV series Quantum Leap. He played Admiral Al Calavicci opposite Scott Bakula, landing four Emmy nominations for his role. Stockwell’s series credits also include Battlestar Galactica; JAG, from Quantum Leap creator Don Bellisatio; The Tony Danza Show and NCIS: New Orleans among others.

In recent years, Stockwell, who retired from acting in 2015, did pursue a career change, making art and exhibiting around the U.S. under his full name, Robert Dean Stockwell.

Those close to Stockwell describe him as a rebel who loved to act, to laugh, smoke cigars and play golf.

He is survived by his wife, Joy Stockwell; and their two children, Austin Stockwell and Sophie Stockwell.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/dean-st...ar-1234870413/
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:23 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Awww... that sucks. Great actor.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:55 AM   #3
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Ah, geez. Another one we greatly enjoyed gone. We watch the QL series almost daily on the Comet station. RIP Al.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:45 AM   #4
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Also voiced Duke Nukem on Captain Planet
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:16 AM   #5
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Hubby's been binging Battlestar the past couple of weeks, too, so he has been watching a lot of Stockwell of late. Sad to see him go, will definitely miss him.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:30 AM   #6
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Yes, Dean Stockwell had a pretty long career, saw him in tons of things over the years until his retirement. He was one of those who got an early start in show biz and stuck with it, followed in the same steps as his father Harry and his brother Guy; now they're all together in heaven. He had a very pleasant manner about him, could see in his interviews, RIP Dean Stockwell.
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Really hate to hear that. Man, I LOVE Al on Quantum Leap.

I recently re-watched an episode of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman where Stockwell plays a guest villain, and he's very compelling to watch, to no surprise.

(I am ashamed to admit Dean Stockwell was one of those guys I had assumed had already passed away.)

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:59 PM   #9
Sumac
Banned

Quantum Leap had a big influence on me and was my favorite series (along with Sliders) to watch at the of the 90s.

Al was a major part what this show enjoyable.

RIP.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:05 PM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Quantum Leap had a big influence on me and was my favorite series (along with Sliders) to watch at the of the 90s.

Al was a major part what this show enjoyable.
It's weird for me every time I realize that show's final episode basically un-did all of Al's wild antics seen throughout the series on account of Sam going back in time to make sure his first wife never left him and remarried based on the incorrect assumption he was killed in service. Presumably, Al turned out a faithful husband when he got back from Vietnam. So... the Al whom Sam knew all his life never existed, yet Sam never ceased his leaping (and consequently, NEVER returned home), but I guess he kept working Al 2.0?

View my sketch work!
Old 11-10-2021, 08:11 AM   #11
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

It was sort of a time paradox, in that Al still ad the same personality, but just became more of a "look but don't touch" type. I mean, even when he was carrying that torch for his first wife, he was a hornball anyway, just with more freedom. After Sam changed Al's past, he just used that energy with her instead of chasing skirts.

Old 11-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #12
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
It was sort of a time paradox, in that Al still ad the same personality, but just became more of a "look but don't touch" type. I mean, even when he was carrying that torch for his first wife, he was a hornball anyway, just with more freedom. After Sam changed Al's past, he just used that energy with her instead of chasing skirts.
I hate to think this scene never happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTLCbBYAt9E

Or maybe he just arranged for "Beth" to meet up with him for a little "lover's game."

View my sketch work!