The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 06-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Spider-Man Beyond: Ben Reilly Is Back!

Quote:
A bold new age of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN is on the horizon!

Starting in October, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN will return with a story so bombastic that it will take greatest team of web-writers and arachnid-artists ever assembled to tell it. Kelly Thompson, Saladin Ahmed, Cody Ziglar, Patrick Gleason, and Zeb Wells will team up on the thrice-monthly title to shake up the Spider-Man mythos in ways no one will see coming… The saga will kick off in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #75 where Ben Reilly will return to take back the mantle of Spider-Man. Backed by the Beyond Corporation, the captivating clone of Peter Parker is determined to be the best version of Spider-Man there ever was. And as yesterday’s teasers showed, this could have fatal consequences for Peter Parker…

Here’s what Editor Nick Lowe had to say about this daring new era of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN:

“The whole point of working on Spider-Man is trying to put new unliftable weights on top of him—physical, metaphysical, emotional, psychological—and seeing if he can lift them. But what if that weight truly is too heavy? What if someone with the exact same skills and formative years could do better? Ben Reilly is back and, with Aunt May and Uncle Ben’s lessons in the back of HIS mind as well, he’s here to step in where Peter Parker failed. Can he accomplish things the original Spider-Man never could? These questions are what sold me on this story.

“When Zeb Wells started building this story it became apparent that it needed a narrative velocity and a team of the best of the best to make it happen. So we gathered some of the greatest writers and artists in comics to join us and the story got even better and bigger and more surprising.

“Zeb has proven through AMAZING SPIDER-MAN “Shed”, SPIDER-MAN/DOC OCK: YEAR ONE, and HELLIONS that he will bring the balance of hilarity and emotional devastation. Kelly Thompson’s work on CAPTAIN MARVEL and BLACK WIDOW shows her to be the best mind for character work along with a fearless creativity that will keep you guessing. Saladin Ahmed is the rare writer who walks the tightrope of a book like his Eisner-Winning BLACK BOLT to his smash hit “Clone Saga” arc of MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN and his contributions shook us all. Fans from his time at the Distinguished Competition know Patrick Gleason isn’t only an artistic visionary (as proven recently from his Webhead covers) but also a highly-skilled writer whose Marvel debut is going to be the shot heard round the comics world. Cody Ziglar is a new name in comics, but the work he did for the upcoming Disney+ She-Hulk show and Rick and Morty showed us at Marvel that he is part of the next generation of Marvel superstar writers and he has not disappointed here.”

Fans will be able to get their first glimpse at what’s to come on August 14 in FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2021: SPIDER-MAN/VENOM. Check out artwork above, and stay tuned for an upcoming announcement revealing which incredible artists will be joining this talented group of writers in what promises to be one of the most unpredictable runs in Spider-Man history!

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...s-announcement
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:12 PM   #2
AquaParade
Banned

They're like "yeah, we really did cut Superior too short, let's try that again."

I'll give it a try. I haven't enjoyed ASM since Superior Spider-Man, but I'll give the new team a try. I think there may just be too much editorial mandate on this book for me to typically enjoy it though.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #4
Galactus
Foot Elite

To be fair Ben Reilly has been back for some time. I've even been enjoying him and the other F-list heroes guesting in Cantwell's Iron Man even if the story doesn't seem all that Iron Man-esque.

There's really little doubt Peter will be back in the saddle by #900. I feel some sympathy with fans who feel that Spencer's run was about clearing away a lot of the baggage that has dogged the character since One More Day and were hoping for a period of more traditional Spider-Man stories before jumping into another big status quo shift. Still Spencer could have accomplished his goal in under half the time and he personally could have told some traditional Spidey stories.

From the synopsis this does sound very Superior Spider-Man 2.0 which is strange because proving himself Peter's better was never Ben's thing. Then again neither was bringing people back from the dead in cloned bodies or cosmic games with Death so...

90% of the time whenever a hero's identity is usurped it's usually done to point out why a lot of much asked for change is a be careful what you wish for scenario and reaffirms why the original is better. That was the whole point of Superior Spider-Man and I can't help but think this will be the whole point of Beyond too. That's exactly why it can't be Miles. The character is too valuable to Marvel to send the message he's any way a lesser version of Spider-Man whereas Ben is routinely been sh*t on by Marvel since Revelations so no change there.

Still as a fan it's nice to have the character back in a mainstream role and I'm curious how Beyond fits into all this. If nothing else I think this will probably back a better jumping off point to give the character a revival series than Clone Conspiracy.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:56 PM   #5
IMJ
Emperor

I was always under the impression that the "Clone Saga" with Ben Reily was as maligned a 90's story line for Spider-Man as "The Crossing" & "teen Tony" was for Iron Man.....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:09 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

There is always a running theme in series where writers like to revisit a character or concept that was poorly received with older fans, and then tries to "bring them back" and reinvent them for a younger audience and hope they get popular the second time around.

I remember so many series where certain new characters were hated at first, then as years or decades went on the same said characters grew a fanbase and became incredibly popular.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:42 AM   #7
ZariusTwo
Overlord

So I can't help but feel Newsarama are alluding to something with the "Best Spider-Man Stories Ever Told" List they put up. Placed at number ten is "The Gift" from The Clone Saga (the death of Aunt May) and number one is "Spider-Man No More". Considering Peter is out of commission by "Spider-Man Beyond", I figure this is an even bigger clue the likes of Newsarama can sense what's going on or actually know something we don't.

Then again, another Newsarama article (from the founder of the site no less) seems to be directly assuming Peter will die in Spider-Man Beyond, but again, different writers for each article.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:07 AM   #8
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
So I can't help but feel Newsarama are alluding to something with the "Best Spider-Man Stories Ever Told" List they put up. Placed at number ten is "The Gift" from The Clone Saga (the death of Aunt May) and number one is "Spider-Man No More". Considering Peter is out of commission by "Spider-Man Beyond", I figure this is an even bigger clue the likes of Newsarama can sense what's going on or actually know something we don't.

Then again, another Newsarama article (from the founder of the site no less) seems to be directly assuming Peter will die in Spider-Man Beyond, but again, different writers for each article.
I mean that's the buzz I heard, that Spider-Man is gonna 'die' and be replaced by Ben til whatever comic book wackiness brings him back.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I mean that's the buzz I heard, that Spider-Man is gonna 'die' and be replaced by Ben til whatever comic book wackiness brings him back.
The buzz from IGN is Peter is just badly wounded and is 'depressed', I think there will be a death, but it's probably Aunt May given how much they're teasing a connection to OMD lately.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:24 AM   #11
AquaParade
Banned

It's a good team. I wish for a Spider-Man comic where they really shoot for the stars.
I've made the comparison to Batman before, but DC always goes for the hottest talent on the Batman books and I appreciate that. It doesn't mean they always get it right, but they go for it. Morrison, Snyder, King, Capullo, Kubert, Quitely - all stars. Spider-Man comic always feels like it's on a tight budget. They assume it will sell the same no matter what, most likely.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 02:34 PM   #12
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Anyone pick up any free comic book day stuff?

Here's how Free Comic Book Day panned out for Spider-Man

Spoiler:

At some as-yet unspecified point, Ben returns to Earth and is recruited by the Beyond Corporation, taking on the mantle of Spider-Man for a second time. He takes a newly modified costume designed by Beyond into the field when Bushwacker seizes control of a building in Dallas, Texas. Ben arrives to stop him, Bushwacker takes note of the new costume and asks when heroes like Ben ever have time to sew, before training his weapon on his hostages. Ben shields them from a blast with his own body, his costume is made of impact-thickening foam polymers that absorb the energy burst. Bushwacker's arms morph into larger cannons but Ben plugs them with a fist, and the blasts backfire on Bushwacker, severely crippling his arms and causing damage to the building. Ben is horrified and calls in the Beyond corporation, who assure him they will take care of the clean up operation, providing counselling for the hostages as well as a contractor to repair the building.

Ben is impressed with the Beyond corp's services as well as the effectiveness of the suit and agrees to join them. Beyond corp tell him to get rid of his Scarlet Spider outfit, comparing it to something a fourteen year old would wear at a birthday party. Ben is concerned he'll be mistaken for the real Spider-Man, Beyond corp tell him that, to them, he is the real deal
Old 10-06-2021, 04:42 AM   #13
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Amazing Spider-Man#75

Spoiler:
Peter is still reeling from the loss of Harry. He has a nightmare involving Uncle Ben and heads off to the Goddard building to relax and web swing, when he bumps into Ben, who's on a test run for his employees at Beyond. Not wanting Beyond to eavesdrop in case Peter starts talking to him openly about his secrets, Ben flees with Peter in pursuit, with Peter getting more and more hot at him. Ben eventually uses his gadgets to trap Peter and escapes.

Later, Ben tracks Peter down and they have a coffee. Ben admits he is the new Spider-Man and tells Peter Beyond have acquired the rights and licence to use the Spider-Man name after acquiring it as an asset from what remains of Parker Industries. Ben proposes to Peter that together they can do a lot of good with Beyond. Peter tells Ben he can't just ask for a piece of his life like this, Ben says he isn't asking.

Peter goes home to Mary Jane, and they talk about the hurt both are feeling over Harry's loss. MJ urges Peter to take time off, Peter tells her he met up with Ben Reilly, MJ has a bad feeling about him.

Eventually, the U-Foes attack Empire State University, both Spider-Men battle them, until one of them releases a radio-volatile gas explosion. Ben's suit protects him, but Peter is not so fortunate and is poisoned.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:27 AM   #14
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Amazing Spider-Man#76

Spoiler:
Peter's in a bad way due to the poisoning, MJ and Aunt May are summoned by Ben posing as Peter over the phone. Aunt May is less convinced than MJ that he's Peter, but goes anyway. MJ and Peter lie to May to cover up the real reason he was attacked, saying he got caught up in the U-Foe assault while visiting Doctor Connors. Ben arrives and tells Peter he's not good with asking for things, so claims his 'therapist' (Doctor Kafka), but now he feels compelled to try. Peter gives Ben his blessing to be Spider-Man. When Ben departs, Peter tells MJ he wanted to wait until he was out of earshot and sight before confessing that he can't feel anything in his body. He goes into convulsions and doctors scramble to stabilise him, but they appear to be losing him. Ben in the meantime suits up and confronts the U-Foes as Spider-Man

One other thing that may get people talking is that MJ appears to be wearing the engagement ring
Old 10-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #15
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Interview with J.M DeMatties talking a bit about his upcoming Ben mini-series as well as the character in general and the strengths of the Clone Saga

Old 01-19-2022, 04:57 AM   #16
ZariusTwo
Overlord

This week's premiere edition of Ben Reilly: Spider-Man#1 reveals two major plot details that could inform the future of the Spider-Man books

1. Mary Jane was still pregnant post-OMD.

2. The original Ashley Kafka had known Peter was Spider-Man since the Clone Saga, as she helped him and Mary Jane come to terms with the 'discovery' Peter was the clone at the time.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:27 PM   #17
Coola Yagami
Overlord

It's interesting how Spider-Man himself seems to be immune from all the woke **** the rest of Marvel seems to be suffering. Sure he might cameo here and there in the other books, but I'm glad Marvel at least understands that Spider-Man is pretty much the flagship for them and if they don't want their business to crumble even worse than it already is, to leave his books alone.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:46 PM   #18
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
It's interesting how Spider-Man himself seems to be immune from all the woke **** the rest of Marvel seems to be suffering. Sure he might cameo here and there in the other books, but I'm glad Marvel at least understands that Spider-Man is pretty much the flagship for them and if they don't want their business to crumble even worse than it already is, to leave his books alone.
They have Miles and Gwen for that.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:53 AM   #19
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The Beyond era ends next week, so I thought I'd give my thoughts on it

Occasionally there was a lot of promise, but Ben wound up being nerfed a great deal, Peter too to some extent, with the major focus being on all the laides in their lives. Sometimes that led to great stories like the MJ and Black Cat special, others not so much like with the Daughters of the Dragon (Colleen Wong and Misty Knight), I'm mixed on Doctor Kafka's turn to villainy as the Queen Goblin, but it's still early days so we'll see how she fares later.

A much better book on the other hand has been the Ben Reilly mini-series, very pscho-analytical, reveals Kafka and Ben have a much closer connection and that she's been working even behind the scenes with Peter during his own dark times.

And Spidercide is back!
Old 03-27-2022, 02:50 AM   #20
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Spoilers for ASM#93

Spoiler:
If you thought Ben wasn't having the best time, times just got worse for him. Peter destroys the device that Ben believes can restore his memories and ends up beating the crap out of Peter, before surrendering himself to the Beyond defence systems. Later, he's shown to have survived and is living with Janine but can't seem to reconcile who he is with who he has lost, and takes on a new costumed identity called Chasm