The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 10-03-2017, 12:55 AM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Wyrm episode seems like an aquired taste. If you understood they were going for a wacky episode which was a parody of another cartoon it worked, but I can understand if people wouldn't like it.

The Monkey Brains ep was fantastic I thought, an excellent intro to Rat King and Donatello's lesson of thinking without thinking led to some fantastic fight scenes against a psychic enemy. I also loved the Squirrelnoids ep so I'm surprised to see it listed, both a homage to Alien and the Pizza Monsters ep of the original cartoon.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:49 AM   #22
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Wyrm episode seems like an aquired taste. If you understood they were going for a wacky episode which was a parody of another cartoon it worked, but I can understand if people wouldn't like it.

The Monkey Brains ep was fantastic I thought, an excellent intro to Rat King and Donatello's lesson of thinking without thinking led to some fantastic fight scenes against a psychic enemy. I also loved the Squirrelnoids ep so I'm surprised to see it listed, both a homage to Alien and the Pizza Monsters ep of the original cartoon.
I gave sqirrelanoids ep a mention in the other thread, I liked that too.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:45 AM   #23
asfaloth12
Thug

Mutant Apocalypse arc. No competition.

There are other weak ones, sure, but they pale in comparison now.
--A Foot Too Big, The Croaking. But, I didn't truly dislike them; they were just "meh"
--There are others. Just can't think of them now.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:54 AM   #24
ToTheNines
[sic]

Season 1. Mostly loved it. Panic in the Sewers was extremely silly, especially coming after Gauntlet. Still a funny episode with good action. Metalhead was a fun episode, but I face palm every time I see the guys say they can't defeat him once the Kraang is controlling him... striking mere inches away from the squishy little alien perched on his head.

Season 2 started rough with The Mutation Situation, but it was still fairly funny and action packed. Just riddled with Aumanisms.

Pizza face was so dumb, I consider it non canon. Plan 10 could have been good but is a chore to sit through.

The Invasion sucks. Especially part 2. They set up this big assault on Shredder's lair with the whole team furious at The Foot for what they've done to Splinter and Leo, but the final boss fight gets stolen. Ends up with a really goofy fight of KP vs. the Turtle mech. Plus, shame on Nickelodeon for not letting Jason Biggs record the last 6 episodes before canning him.

Season 3 is my least favorite of the whole series. Buried Secrets, Race with The Demon, and Vision Quest were all turds. The horror riffs in Northampton got old fast, but I didn't enjoy those 3 much.

Clash of the Mutanimals, The Deadly Venom and Attack of the MegaShredder were all pretty stupid.

Meet Mondo Gecko might take the cake though. I love Mondo's design and voice, but hate how incompetent he is. I also refuse to believe that all high-ranking members of the Foot partake in "mutant racing" when they're not busy trying to kill the good guys. Another non canon episode for me.

Season 4 was more like it, although it started with the almost entirely pointless Beyond the Known Universe. Then Wyrm was wasteful filler. Ancient Aeons was a limp video game plot. I don't know if I've yet to stay awake for the duration of Revenge of the Triceratons, and thenThe Evil of Dregg was just puzzlingly stupid.

After that, the whole season is tops. I only dislike The Power Inside Her, and any accompanying "dark April foreshadowing" cheese.

Season 5... I really only dislike the second Usagi episode. And I would have taken an episode or two away from the Halloween arc and the FW crossover to make room for something else.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #25
neatoman
Emperor

Oh god, let's just list some bad episodes in chronologial order and I'll sort them out later.
  • "Panic in the Sewers"
  • "The Pulverizer"
  • "Cockroach Terminator"
  • "The Pulverizer Returns!"
  • "Parasitica"
  • "Invasion of the Squirrelanoids"
  • "Mikey Gets Shellacne"
  • "Mazes & Mutants"
  • "Pizza Face"
  • "A Chinatown Ghost Story"
  • "A Foot Too Big"
  • "The Croaking"
  • "The Noxious Avenger"
  • "Meet Mondo Gecko"
  • "The Creeping Doom"
  • "The Fourfold Trap"
  • "The Weird World of Wyrm"
  • "Journey to the Center of Mikey's Mind"
  • "Trans-Dimensional Turtles" (I don't care what you have to say, Liquid Snake as Leo does not make it a good episode)
  • "The Insecta Trifecta"
  • "Bat in the Belfry"
  • "When Worlds Collide"

Admittedly, a lot these aren't "bad", just pointless and stupid.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

The first Pulverizer episode is hilarious, are people just listing it because they dislike Timmy? Because the rest of the episode was great, and as I said above, it's also the first ep Fishface gets his legs working and fights the Turtles. The part where he bites Raph and Don has to come up with the antidote has so many hilarious scenes. We also get some more Baxter in that ep too. Timmy of course was intentionally annoying but I love the training montage he has with Don.

A Chinatown Ghost story was also great, I think people need to realize "filler" does not make an ep bad. They also made some use of the 3 Purple Dragon characters. Parasiticia also had a good bug controlling plot, and Squirrelnoids was probably the best Alien homage than the Pizza monsters ep. I also think the Baxter/Scumgbug/Antrax ep was one of the best of Season 4, and the Wingnut ep was great.

Pizzaface was a lame ep, but I like that they made it ambiguous enough to be something Mikey dreamed.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #27
newfan
Mad Scientist

Yeah Pulverizer had them first meeting Fishface and laughing at him but I also liked that it was the first one with the shellraiser too.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #28
ABrown
Banned

The Northampton episodes at the beginning of season three, and the outer space episodes at the beginning of season four are absolutely unbearable.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
The Northampton episodes at the beginning of season three, and the outer space episodes at the beginning of season four are absolutely unbearable.
You disliked every space episode? Or do you not remember them all?
Old 10-03-2017, 02:31 PM   #30
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post

Season 3 is my least favorite of the whole series. Buried Secrets, Race with The Demon, and Vision Quest were all turds. The horror riffs in Northampton got old fast, but I didn't enjoy those 3 much.

Out of curiousity why did you dislike Vision Quest, I personally thought it was one of the strongest episode of season 3
Old 10-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #31
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Out of curiousity why did you dislike Vision Quest, I personally thought it was one of the strongest episode of season 3
While I think Vision Quest is a decent episode, especially in comparison to most of season 3, it still felt mishandled. Vision Quest feels like a sudden "Wait, we gotta return to NY!" now, a sudden shift in tone. Its emotional moment with Splinter ala the 90s movie was rushed and didn't have the warmth of the former, just repetition of the Turtles' overall flaws. Finally, which is my personal problem, the episode feels overstuffed with the fights. They were handled well but went by too fast with minimal stakes.

I think for being the episode to tie Northampton and a Return to New York type scenario together, it could've had more to it. Vision Quest easily could've been a multi-parter, especially considering at least two or three of the episodes at Northampton were extraneous (Foot Too Big, The Croaking, Race with the Demon, and Eye of the Chimera easily are my choices there).
Old 10-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #32
Fishface
Foot Soldier

TBH, anything with MONA Lisa in Season 4 at least, (haven't seen her in Season 5 yet) and anything episode with April's Powers.
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #33
Fishface
Foot Soldier

TBH, the worst episode, along with the Evil of Dregg is.........

The Power Inside Her!

So, you'd think once they would reach the hot 100 mark, they'd actually do something decent? Maybe a crossover with the 2003 turtles, maybe the Triceratons return, maybe Kraang Prime is back, maybe the Turtles go back in time once again, maybe meeting their past selves from the events of the first episo- I don't know! You'd think once they had reached the One Hundreth episode, the show would have LEGENDARY episode for us..........NOPE! Instead this episode had focused, not Shredder, not the Kraang, and not even anything interesting like that. It focused on April's powers. -13/10
Old 10-03-2017, 05:38 PM   #34
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Cockroach Terminator
Pulverizer
Parasitica
Mutation Situation
Pizza Face
A Foot Too Big
The Creeping Doom
The Insecta Trifecta
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:00 PM   #35
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

I forgot to post my list actually. I'll make a definite list, as I will with my personal favorites, once I see the rest of the season. For now, my contenders are:
  • Season 1 with Metalhead, Panic in the Sewers, and to an extent, TCRI.
  • Season 2 with The Mutation Situation, Mikey Gets Shellacne, The Kraang Conspiracy, The Lonely Mutation of Baxter Stockman, Newtrailized, Pizza Face, and Plan 10.
  • Season 3 with The Croaking, Race with the Demon, The Noxious Avenger, Clash of the Mutanimals, The Deadly Venom/The Fourfold Trap, Turtles in Time, and The Creeping Doom.
  • Season 4 with Beyond the Known Universe, The Moons of Thalos 3, The Evil of Dregg, Earth's Last Stand, Bat in the Belfry, and The Power Inside Her.
  • So far in season 5 (of what I've seen), Heart of Evil and End Times. Haven't seen the second episode of the Usagi story, Worlds Collide, Monsters, or Mutant Apocalypse.

There are probably other episodes that are average or bad, but these ones spring to my mind as either just boring, lacking, or for a good portion of seasons 3 and 4, unimaginative and filled with mispotential.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #36
Tarris Vaal
Stone Warrior

I dont think I would list any of the episodes as 'bad' and 'worst' is kind of subjective - Jedi is the 'worst' of the original Star wars trilogy but I still love it to bits.

I will say that there are a lot of missed opportunities scattered through various episodes. Power Inside her, Vision Quest, Apocalypse arc and Clash of the Mutanimals are good examples of episodes with lots of promise, but kind of fall short because of a few things that could have happened and just... don't.

I dont fault the episodes themselves for that, its just a shame they didn't fulfill their potential - at least in my mind.

I'd say the only 'bad' episodes, are ones which were either very much acquired tastes (journey to Mikey's mind) or were needless filler (The Croaking). And I can't think of many that had no part in furthering at least one arc.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-sedisverse
Tarris Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

What's wrong with Insecta Trifecta? I thought it was a great Baxter episode and we got two new mutant debuts out of it. Was this also the episode with the Turtles ziplining across buildings or was that the Wingnut episode? Because I remember enjoying both.

Metalhead's debut ep was fantastic, but it was silly they didn't just stab the Kraang on top of his head to stop it from controlling Metalhead. Either way that doesn't detract the rest of the episode being fun.

Having just watched it, I also take back what I said about the second Pulverizer episode. That's the one where the Turtles changed their weapons to fight, then fought without using weapons, and it also had some great action scenes with the Foot Soldier fights and Fishface. Timmy himself also isn't as grating as I remembered, and you kinda feel sorry with what happened to him. He thought he would become a superhero mutant and he just became a blob....then he just gets frozen...and dies....lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishface View Post
So, you'd think once they would reach the hot 100 mark, they'd actually do something decent? Maybe a crossover with the 2003 turtles, maybe the Triceratons return, maybe Kraang Prime is back,You'd think once they had reached the One Hundreth episode, the show would have LEGENDARY episode for us..........NOPE! Instead this episode had focused, not Shredder, not the Kraang, and not even anything interesting like that. It focused on April's powers. -13/10
I don't think it really matters what episode is "number 100" or not. Neither 100th episode of the original cartoon or the 4kids series was anything special or out of the ordinary. Either way, an episode resolving April's powers was very much needed.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #38
snake
Disgusting

Mutation Situation is probably my least favorite episode. From then on I knew that the show would never reach those season 1 heights again. Until season 5, that is.

Second episode of the Usagi arc was wasted potential. Could've been used as developement for Kintaro.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:25 AM   #39
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Just gonna slide this in here...

Season 1: Erm, I guess if I had to pick, I’d go with The Pulverizer or Turtle Temper. Other than those two, the season’s consistently pretty good. Even those two as the weaker links are pretty good episodes.

Season 2: The Mutation Situation was NOT a good impression for this season at all. That episode had the ten or so that came after it to thank for me not going so hard on it mostly. Mazes & Mutants And Newtralized were just pretty standard mediocre episodes that were honestly just pretty boring. I REALLY didn’t like how they wrote Slash in the latter episode. I liked where they went with him, but the way they wrote him felt like “well, we have this character that was an antagonist, but now he’s not, but all his interesting traits were attributed to his antagonistic nature, so what now?” Plan 10 is probably my least favorite of the season just for having such a bland gimmick and not necessarily doing much with it outside of a few jokes here and there. Seemed Saturday Morning Cartoon-y, something this show showed in this very season it was above.

Season 3: If you see my rants on this show around, you know this is where things get messy for me. Outside of Within the Woods, In Dreams, and Race With The Demon, that entire Northampton arc was one giant waste of time to me. The episodes ranged from boring and average snores with no personality or standout moments (Buried Secrets, Eye of the Chimera), to being flat out bad (A Foot Too Big, The Croaking). And unfortunately, despite my highest hopes, Season 3 never did get back to that quality for me. Individual episodes, sure, but Battle for New York, Clash of the Mutanimals, Meet Mondo Gecko, Turtles In Time, and Attack of the Mega-Shredder did not help my overall verdict on the season, and that’s ignoring the somewhat average, bland episodes.

Slightly off topic, but while I’m talking about bad parts of Season 3, Seth Green is SUCH a frustrating choice for me. Not at all in his voice does he so much as sound remotely like Leo should ever. Alright, so, he’s battle damaged. His voice in the first episode of this season does not get better from here on out. Doesn’t clear up. It’s just this really raspy Leo that just does not fit. It’s so out of place. I get a lot of people were fine with this recast, but it never grew on me. It could just be that I really like Jason Biggs’s Leo, but Seth Green just does not capture Leo at all.

Season 4: Ohhh, boy, this space arc. This should’ve been a fun change of pace from the norms of the show. Instead, it was a bloated mess that went on for about eight episodes too long with no personality and no scope. In space. If it isn’t bland, it’s just awful, I’m talking some of the laziest episodes in the show. If your name isn’t The Outlaw Armaggon or The Arena of Carnage, and you’re an episode of season 4’s space arc, you’re on my worst list.

Now, thankfully, the rest of Season 4 was a bit of a return to form. The episodes became consistently at least Season 2 quality to me. City at War, Broken Foot, and The Power Inside Her are definitely not very good and break up the consistency a bit here, otherwise, no full episodes that really rubbed me the wrong way here. The quality of this season did a complete 180 to me at this 17-episode mark, and it’s great. Strange, but I’ll take it.

Season 5: I haven’t seen every single one of these. I have yet to see the Monster arc (and don’t plan to. just look at those premises) or the Crossover arc. However, I’m very VERY mixed on what I have seen. The Kavaxas arc sums my feeling on this season fairly well. I actually really like the first two, but Heart of Evil and End Times are just bad to me. I dislike the former so much, my signature features one of its lines, which I’d argue is the clumsiest line in the entire show. When Worlds Collide is equatable to a sugar-hyped child playing with his Ninja Turtle toys. This episode is just nonsensical from beginning to end, but unlike other nonsensical episodes in this show, this one takes itself somewhat seriously, which creates so much confusion. And finally, Osoroshi no Tabi was poorly-executed and a sizable stain on an otherwise great Usagi arc.

I think either The Croaking, The Evil of Dregg, or Earth’s Last Stand stand as my least favorite of the series.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:55 AM   #40
Fishface
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
Just gonna slide this in here...

Season 1: Erm, I guess if I had to pick, I’d go with The Pulverizer or Turtle Temper. Other than those two, the season’s consistently pretty good. Even those two as the weaker links are pretty good episodes.

Season 2: The Mutation Situation was NOT a good impression for this season at all. That episode had the ten or so that came after it to thank for me not going so hard on it mostly. Mazes & Mutants And Newtralized were just pretty standard mediocre episodes that were honestly just pretty boring. I REALLY didn’t like how they wrote Slash in the latter episode. I liked where they went with him, but the way they wrote him felt like “well, we have this character that was an antagonist, but now he’s not, but all his interesting traits were attributed to his antagonistic nature, so what now?” Plan 10 is probably my least favorite of the season just for having such a bland gimmick and not necessarily doing much with it outside of a few jokes here and there. Seemed Saturday Morning Cartoon-y, something this show showed in this very season it was above.

Season 3: If you see my rants on this show around, you know this is where things get messy for me. Outside of Within the Woods, In Dreams, and Race With The Demon, that entire Northampton arc was one giant waste of time to me. The episodes ranged from boring and average snores with no personality or standout moments (Buried Secrets, Eye of the Chimera), to being flat out bad (A Foot Too Big, The Croaking). And unfortunately, despite my highest hopes, Season 3 never did get back to that quality for me. Individual episodes, sure, but Battle for New York, Clash of the Mutanimals, Meet Mondo Gecko, Turtles In Time, and Attack of the Mega-Shredder did not help my overall verdict on the season, and that’s ignoring the somewhat average, bland episodes.

Slightly off topic, but while I’m talking about bad parts of Season 3, Seth Green is SUCH a frustrating choice for me. Not at all in his voice does he so much as sound remotely like Leo should ever. Alright, so, he’s battle damaged. His voice in the first episode of this season does not get better from here on out. Doesn’t clear up. It’s just this really raspy Leo that just does not fit. It’s so out of place. I get a lot of people were fine with this recast, but it never grew on me. It could just be that I really like Jason Biggs’s Leo, but Seth Green just does not capture Leo at all.

Season 4: Ohhh, boy, this space arc. This should’ve been a fun change of pace from the norms of the show. Instead, it was a bloated mess that went on for about eight episodes too long with no personality and no scope. In space. If it isn’t bland, it’s just awful, I’m talking some of the laziest episodes in the show. If your name isn’t The Outlaw Armaggon or The Arena of Carnage, and you’re an episode of season 4’s space arc, you’re on my worst list.

Now, thankfully, the rest of Season 4 was a bit of a return to form. The episodes became consistently at least Season 2 quality to me. City at War, Broken Foot, and The Power Inside Her are definitely not very good and break up the consistency a bit here, otherwise, no full episodes that really rubbed me the wrong way here. The quality of this season did a complete 180 to me at this 17-episode mark, and it’s great. Strange, but I’ll take it.

Season 5: I haven’t seen every single one of these. I have yet to see the Monster arc (and don’t plan to. just look at those premises) or the Crossover arc. However, I’m very VERY mixed on what I have seen. The Kavaxas arc sums my feeling on this season fairly well. I actually really like the first two, but Heart of Evil and End Times are just bad to me. I dislike the former so much, my signature features one of its lines, which I’d argue is the clumsiest line in the entire show. When Worlds Collide is equatable to a sugar-hyped child playing with his Ninja Turtle toys. This episode is just nonsensical from beginning to end, but unlike other nonsensical episodes in this show, this one takes itself somewhat seriously, which creates so much confusion. And finally, Osoroshi no Tabi was poorly-executed and a sizable stain on an otherwise great Usagi arc.

I think either The Croaking, The Evil of Dregg, or Earth’s Last Stand stand as my least favorite of the series.
I pretty much agree with you here on most things said here. MOST. I think you were a bit too harsh on Season 2. Although it wasn't nearly as good and as exciting as Season 1 was, it was still a good follow up and you could clearly tell the writers were having fun writing theses episodes and a lot of hype and work went into this season. I personally thought Season 2 was the best season the show ever had, besides Season 1 and it was hyped up a lot and this show was pretty much at the hype of its popularity during 2014. Although I do think that the Power Inside Her belongs on the worst list. For one hundreth episode, it was pure garbage.