The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 11-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Marvel writer getting blowback for sharing milkshake picture

It's true:

http://www.upworthy.com/marvel-write...y-as-it-sounds
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Did you just find this today?
This whole thing happened over the summer.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Did you just find this today?
This whole thing happened over the summer.
Yeah, this is the first time I've seen this.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #4
Vegita-San
Emperor

IIRC this happened during the whole feigbuster nonsense. guess it just got posted at the wrong time because people thought it was trying to post a message.

there are times one has to step away from the pc for a while to regain ones sanity....
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, this is the first time I've seen this.
Oh...well welcome to this particular corner of the internet.
Fanboys got buttmad because...uh...women write/edit/draw comics and also enjoy beverages?

It's so hard to keep track of all the things that trigger them, there's just so many.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I think them just being women was what set the whiny manchildren off.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #7
ZariusTwo
Overlord

One might say this is what really kicked off Marvel's downward spiral this year. I noticed after this that a LOT of Youtube critics like Diversity & Comics, Capn Cummings, and Captain Frugal all got very popular
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I think them just being women was what set the whiny manchildren off.
sure....one might think comments like these weren't what set people off in the first place .

probably popping up after one or two jerks who should have been ignored replied rudely to the picture. and then it probably spread from there, if I had to take a guess.

as for the decline of marvel, seems like that happened long before this picture.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #9
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

There are a few mother's-basement-dwelling cretins who are aggressively/desperately trying to make a "Gamergate of comics" happen, and as I recall they were all over this as well, trying to invent a controversy to push their alt-right agenda the same way.

I mean, as an industry, comics has a huge sexism problem that's only verrrry slowly improving. Sadly, that's like most industries... But it always bums me out in particular when it's so pronounced in "geek culture" kind of spaces. The idea of sci-fi and speculative fiction being so restricted to one narrow perspective or "voice" is insanity. And getting angry that women work in and enjoy comics is insanity. These are concepts and characters with wide, universal appeal, after all, and an almost limitless potential for growth and adaptability.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who's more concerned with "protecting their clubhouse" than sharing what they love with as many people as possible... doesn't really love it at all. That's not fandom. That's emotional stuntedness and an unearned sense of ownership and control. Which is exactly the attitude that will kill the comics industry stone dead if the creeps win and it's allowed to dominate the culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
One might say this is what really kicked off Marvel's downward spiral this year. I noticed after this that a LOT of Youtube critics like Diversity & Comics, Capn Cummings, and Captain Frugal all got very popular
The comics alt-righters sure concentrated their efforts around that time, yeah. But I think you can attribute their falling sales to Marvel's overall marketing/editorial mismanagement: constant, confusing relaunches (to try to milk new #1s) and the heavy push of truly awful, never-ending event comics that exist only to lead into the next awful, never-ending event comics.

Personally, I feel that Civil War II was the breaking point. That whole event was wretched and damned near inescapable, and I feel it was a jumping-off point for a lot of readers.

Last edited by Bry; 11-27-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #10
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

The only valid criticism of that image would be something like "Nobody cares about milkshakes. Get back to work." and even then, probably only from their boss. Like.. "That better not have come out of petty cash!"

I feel bad for anyone in comics right now because the state of the industry isn't really their fault. It's like an oil tanker that is heading into a reef, the rudders are unresponsive and the captain jumped overboard hours ago. Those ladies are just the next in line to stand on the bridge and hope for the best.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:38 PM   #11
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Mom, they're feeding the trolls again!

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:25 AM   #12
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Had to go listen to Kelis after reading this thread.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #13
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
I feel bad for anyone in comics right now because the state of the industry isn't really their fault. It's like an oil tanker that is heading into a reef, the rudders are unresponsive and the captain jumped overboard hours ago. Those ladies are just the next in line to stand on the bridge and hope for the best.
Prominent Marvel writers having meltdowns on social media over the last few years isn't so great for their corporate image, either.

I've been reading some back issues of the Miles Morales Spider-Man and some of the new Ms. Marvel, along with Civil War II, which I actually somewhat enjoyed. Even the current run on She-Hulk, which has been a radical departure from what people are used to seeing from her, has had some good moments. With the exception of Ironheart, who feels like a bad fanfiction character, the "replacements" aren't so bad, really, even for someone like me who doesn't care much for the regressive Left. But I also know when I'm being pandered to, and I feel it is an insult to people's intelligence.

All this political back and forth is bad for the industry and bad for the characters. I also wish they'd reduce the number of ongoing series to focus on the narratives, and stop the decompressed storytelling. I didn't appreciate the new She-Hulk until I read the first trade of it; some of these arcs just work better as novel-length adventures.

In the 60s, you had Spider-Man, Thor, The Avengers, the FF, and and the X-Men, along with solo series for Hulk and Dr. Strange, right? That's maybe seven series to follow, if not much more than that? At the moment, Marvel has seventy-three ongoing series.

If only they'd make the monthlies more accessible to new people/normies/MCU fans while crafting OGNs for the hardcore crowd. They'd probably make more money that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.

Last edited by Spike Spiegel; 11-28-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote