The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #61
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

Yeah I actually started that thread about #5...lol. #15 only had 1 printing, so its definitely not a print run issue on the original.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #62
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by liugeaux View Post
The really weird thing is I flipped through my copy of Ultimate Collection 3 and found a few issues that initially looked like they were missing shades, but when I checked them against my original printings they look identical. I think #15 was the best example. I'm not an artist, but it definitely looks like Duoshade was not used on that issue, or at least it was used to a lesser extent.
I think part of the reason for that is this was a Peter Laird solo issue, and Laird's style is much less "sketchy" than Eastman's. Probably even more so now.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #63
CyberCubed
Overlord

Hm, maybe when Ultimate Collection 5 comes out they could re-print more copies of the fourth were with duotones, as that might be the only chance.

Don't they still put out copies of Ultimate Collections 1-3? Or do they stop printing them after a certain time?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #64
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Bobby's comments on the matter. I'll be taking 10 seconds to send an email; we all should! A really good fan with extra copies of the issues in question could even mail them in to IDW!

Quote:
I think they're selling well. Vol. 1 has had a couple printings I think. But a Vol. 1 is very different from a Vol. 4. Lots of people might get a Vol. 1 to dip their toes, or get as a present, etc. I don't recall anyone talking about a Vol. 2 second print, but maybe there has been.

Not to say that Vol. 4 WON'T get another print. But I wouldn't count on it. Even if there was another print, I can't say the issue would be fixed— we'd need to buy and scan the issues, which is fair investment of time on a packed production schedule.

Writing some letters to letters@idwpublishing.com would certainly help. I've brought the issue up, but if there's a good bunch of letters, showing that fans really care about this, that could have an impact, maybe.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #65
funatic
Mad Scientist

Sent my email, and included a link to this thread to see the differences in art (and our disappointment).
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #66
KM3K
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
Sent my email, and included a link to this thread to see the differences in art (and our disappointment).
I did the same. Even though they typically don't reply, I hope that Bobby Curnow is right that these emails are being read and considered.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #67
TonySiegel
Stone Warrior

this is bullsh*t! I have the first 2 volumes and am planning to get the 3rd don't know about the 4th now...

Grrrr....

"...Color or creed, is no need for a man to bleed/ I believe, we all breathe the same seed/ Unless it's diluted, for somethin to intrude it..." - Kool G. Rap
TonySiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #68
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

My email is sent, with an explanation, link to this thread and an offer to provide them with the original books. I don't really expect it to go anywhere, but as a fan, I'm kinda obligated to send that email. Otherwise why even mention it on this forum.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #69
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Keep sending them! Bobby says they've already received some emails, and I think this is an issue that may actually be heard as opposed to the whole 4-issue trades thing.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #70
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well since it was an honest mistake I hope they would rectify it with future printings. Not sure if this would cost them more money or not but it goes to show you, you should double check everything to make sure its right before sending it off to the printer.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #71
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well since it was an honest mistake I hope they would rectify it with future printings. Not sure if this would cost them more money or not but it goes to show you, you should double check everything to make sure its right before sending it off to the printer.
Yeah, I think Bobby was saying that they may not do another printing because it may not sell enough. But since this mistake is significant, I suggested in my email that even a limited reprinting would be greatly appreciated by fans. It's also possible that IDW limited will continue releasing their labels of Ultimate Collection volumes, so it may be corrected there. However, those are obviously a whole different price range, so here's hoping a corrected version will be available and affordable.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #72
CyberCubed
Overlord

Perhaps a later edition can be called, "Ultimate Collection #4 duoshade collectors edition" or something, lol.

As you said given how many versions there are of Ultimate Collection already with alternate covers or labels, something like this could happen.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #73
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior

I believe I pre ordered mine in the late fall and I think the release date just kept getting pushed back. I was assuming it was taking so long because they wanted the quality to be very good, I thought they might actually have to scan the books and clean up pages or something to that effect. It shows that I guess that wasn't the case.

I thought book 1 was not printed dark enough but the first 3 books I had been pretty happy with. I haven't read the City At War arc since 2004. It is annoying that the issues are not presented properly. I had double checked and it seemed more issues than I originally thought were lacking tones. E&L's #50 looks great tho in contrast to the ones lacking.

I still enjoy Jims work as I said before its to bad the tones are absent... at least they are collected I suppose but if they reprint it I don't know that I want to buy another book when the first one I got has the errors. I do wonder how no one at IDW noticed it tho, I noticed it right away and I haven't looked at the issues in almost 10 years. I would have thought at least someone there would be a little more familiar with the comics to catch it during quality control. IDW is a comic company after all you would think someone there would pick up on it or at least wonder why some issues had them and some do not.
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #74
CyberCubed
Overlord

The reason I'm not ordering yet is just so I don't have to double-dip.

If I order it how do I know the corrected version won't come out a few months from now, and I'll be stuck with an obsolete copy?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #75
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The reason I'm not ordering yet is just so I don't have to double-dip.

If I order it how do I know the corrected version won't come out a few months from now, and I'll be stuck with an obsolete copy?
No one is forcing you to double dip, but I wouldn't hold my breath dude. A corrected printing is long shot at best.

Actually...saying its a long shot is lending too much credence to the possibility of them fixing the problem. Its not going to happen in this run of books.

If you want a complete Ultimate Collection you will buy this version.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #76
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turns View Post
I gave it a poor review on amazon and said that I intend to return the book and boycott it until the time of a proper release (which is true). Hopefully if enough people do the same IDW will have no choice but to do it right.
Sounds a little dramatic ... "boycott"?
These books are old. If its all IDW has to work with, then what else can ya do?
Though I suppose since the original books are floating around out there, there isn't much of an excuse. But would people really just want scans of existing old books if that's all that were available?
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #77
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthsmozers View Post
But would people really just want scans of existing old books if that's all that were available?
Yes.

10char
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #78
zodach
Foot Soldier

Maybe they can correct it for the IDW Limited Ultimate Collection volume 4 sets. They won't be available for quite some time since they're just wrapping up volume 2, but it would be nice if they made the changes by then.
zodach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #79
Allio
Foot Elite

I went ahead and picked it up, the duoshade issue doesn't bother me much...it gives those issues...a different look
Old 04-24-2013, 05:15 AM   #80
Abnormal Freak
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
All I know is that our files are what Nick got from Mirage.
This has been IDW's mistake from the very beginning of the Ultimate Collection reprints. Mirage's scans are lousy and it's really too bad IDW didn't do their own scans and cleanup work. Relying on ancient and poorly-done scans for lavishly-packaged reprints doesn't make any sense.

Issue #1 from the first collection has missing/faded tones and a general blurriness; other issues have pixelated line art; now there are issues with missing tones altogether. This isn't the way to treat the material.

Bobby, is there any way you can tell the reprint guys to get their s*** together? :S I want so bad to own all the Ultimate Collections, but not when the reproductions are so poor. They oughta go back and do a totally revised line with proper quality control, though I guess that won't happen any time soon.

Tags
mirage, reprint