The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Changes you admired or disliked

For better or worse, the 4Kids cartoon is probably as close to a straight adaptation of the comics we will ever really get and as a result the changes and additions it made does tend to pop a bit. So the question is, are there any you liked or disliked in particular?

I know a lot of people hate the Utrom Shredder thing but I don't, when you really think about it the Shredder always kind of sucked as a main villain because of a pointless attampt at making a big bad out of a character meant to die from start and has very little terms of personality and abilities. So you might as well mess around with his nature, I honestly think it's better to have him be over the top and bizarre than a regular human, he is a Zombie in the IDW comics for a reason. I also like many additions like Hun, Bishop, Battle Nexus etc.

As for what I don't like, well it might have been better to make City at War into a season finale instead of a filler arc so it could have the same impact as in the comics and we could have done without some additions that had very little impact like the Garbageman. Over all I respect most changes and additions.
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I know a lot of people hate the Utrom Shredder thing but I don't, when you really think about it the Shredder always kind of sucked as a main villain because of a pointless attampt at making a big bad out of a character meant to die from start and has very little terms of personality and abilities. So you might as well mess around with his nature, I honestly think it's better to have him be over the top and bizarre than a regular human, he is a Zombie in the IDW comics for a reason.
I really have to agree here; with this show, the creative team was able to take a retrospective look at Mirage's story when they decided what changes would be made in the adaptation process, though, and that's probably one reason why this was done. Because it gave the Shredder more mystery as well as longevity. The idea of him being a main villain wasn't the original intent in the beginning of Mirage. There was no way to look back on that and mess with things.

People always think changes in an adaptation are like some kind of devil, but usually there are logical reasons for these decisions and that they weren't just done to troll the fanbase or just because they wanted to. I've never understood the hate for Utrom Shredder.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I thought the color masks with the light brown pads actually looked really good in animation. Not sure if that style had been previously seen before that.

Most other adaptations have followed the 4Kids show design on that point.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
pharaohyami5000
Thug

I personally like 2k3's Shredder. If they made him human, they will not get away with having that Shredder VS Leonardo fight, which is 1 of the biggest highlights. I also like they made Shredder as this ultimate overlord. First he looks as human, then he comes back as this spiritual demon, then he comes back again as an online program. Nothing can stop him from being the threat. Oh, you killed me. Pfft. Back-up file .

Only thing I wish 2k3 would do better is Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers be a little more complete. The threat from FF didn't look like it was resolved and BttS didn't really go through much of Master Khan. Ah, and there's also the Rat King. That... didn't develop further.
pharaohyami5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Saving the Turtles in Space arc until after Season 1 was a brilliant idea.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Not much. I kinda wish it kept the wild and wacky order of things like they were in the comics. It was jarring not seeing Zog in Return to New York and not appear in rogue in the house only because they screwed up the order of things. Also city of war needed to be a 5 parter and actually about the foot fighting itself with Karai cleaning house.

Only change is I guess updated dialogue. The 80s slang woulda been out of date in the 2000s.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Not much. I kinda wish it kept the wild and wacky order of things like they were in the comics. It was jarring not seeing Zog in Return to New York and not appear in rogue in the house only because they screwed up the order of things. Also city of war needed to be a 5 parter and actually about the foot fighting itself with Karai cleaning house.
s.
Nah, its better the way they did it. If the Turtles had traveled to space as early as episode 5-6 it would have been disorienting and off-putting. Having the Turtles mostly "grounded" in realism for most of the first season made sense. That's why the Utroms aren't even revealed till the finale.

I also loved how they saved Zog for "Rogue in the House," he really wasn't needed for the 2k3 version of RTNY, especially since the show added the Foot Mystics and Baxter's robot body in the mix.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Utrom Shredder was a pretty brilliant idea for the format, I think. It was the perfect excuse to have a badass beheading scene in a kid's cartoon, at least. Also let them have battles with other "dismemberment" without stopping the fight, as he'd continue to fight even naked which I always thought was pretty neat. Works well with the "famous face secret crimelord" concept.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nah, its better the way they did it. If the Turtles had traveled to space as early as episode 5-6 it would have been disorienting and off-putting.
It sure as hell wasn't disorienting and off-putting when Mirage did it. It was more disorienting and off-putting for me when they put things out of order. And then had to make more changes down the line to compensate.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 09-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
It sure as hell wasn't disorienting and off-putting when Mirage did it. It was more disorienting and off-putting for me when they put things out of order. And then had to make more changes down the line to compensate.
It was disorienting to you that the show did its own thing? Who said the 4kids series had to follow the Mirage order down to a T? I don't even know why you would be thinking that.

I'm also pretty sure we had the full episode list on ninjaturtles.com before it aired, so if you were around back then you would have known from the start the show was going to do its own thing.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:47 AM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I don't think I was around here that often when it first debut. It can be it's own thing and still follow the comics general order. That's what the filler eps and stuff like notes from underground was for.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I don't think I was around here that often when it first debut. It can be it's own thing and still follow the comics general order. That's what the filler eps and stuff like notes from underground was for.
Following the comics wouldn't make sense for a cartoon, especially if Shredder was killed off early. Likewise I much prefer how the storyline of Volume 2 was more or less merged into Bishop's EPF storyline and Baxter becoming a cyborg earlier in the series.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #13
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Following the comics wouldn't make sense for a cartoon, especially if Shredder was killed off early. Likewise I much prefer how the storyline of Volume 2 was more or less merged into Bishop's EPF storyline and Baxter becoming a cyborg earlier in the series.
Except he came back (as a clone) for the Silent Partner/Return to New York story. I wouldn't be surprised if they found some way to not kill him in the first fight, like they did with the water tower.

This topic is about changes I admired or disliked. Those are the things I disliked. End of story.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

If I want to read the Mirage comics, I'll read them. I'm glad the 4kids series did its own thing.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #15
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Pretty much this. The 2003 series, while based on the comics, did a lot to stand out on it's own. There were a lot of changes made, some good, some controversial, but I love the fact that it took a hell of a lot of risks. Not every cartoon is going to properly adapt their comic book counterparts but this show has shown fans how the turtles were originally supposed to be. I think all of the characters were represented well and I don't think there was ever a time when this show disappointed me aside from FF and BttS but even I enjoyed those to an extent.

I can go on for saying how much I LOVE this show.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #16
Taartru
Random Punk

The '03 turtles are my favourite, Why? Well.

It's the most close to the comics, Personalities are my favourite.

The Changes I admire were, The personalities and the darker tone of the show, With even some being stabbed *Spoiler* Remember that dragon? Yeah he got cut in half, And shredder's ''Head'' got cut off too However it was later revealed that he was an utrom and That head was not his real head.

Changes I disliked? I have none I really don't I also think that the Back to the sewers season was Pretty good. Even though I am in the minority there. I disliked changes they made IN the 03 series itself, Like the Design change they made when i believe nick got their hands on TMNT, It's not horrible or anything, but I just think that the origina l 2003 design is the best. So yeah..
Taartru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #17
ObiWanFan4life
Mad Scientist

I love this show. The characters are well-written and the action is phenomenal. However, the turtles in this version act more like twenty or thirty year olds instead of teenagers.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #18
Myko
Thug

I liked that Shredder was an Utrom. The beheading scene in RTNY is one of my favorite cartoon moments of all time.

But Ch'rell the character wasn't very good by the end. Noone is all to the core evil and still an interesting character.
Myko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #19
Icebot
Foot Elite

I loved April's purple shirt and the way she looked in it.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #20
tmntpower1988
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanFan4life View Post
I love this show. The characters are well-written and the action is phenomenal. However, the turtles in this version act more like twenty or thirty year olds instead of teenagers.
That's what I love about the show. I like the way they had no pupils as well when they wore their masks.
tmntpower1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4kids, mirage, shredder, utrom