The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Do the IDW Comics need more Mirage influence?

IDW has been pretty cartoon heavy for awhile lately:

Bishop, Phantoms, Darius from 4Kids; Darkwater, Krang, Dimension X from OT; Mutanimals, Dreadmon, Null, Maligna from Archie.

It feels like IDW has always been light on incorporated Mirage elements. I think the last thing we had that we could definitely point to was Donatello's death and cyborg resurrection back at #45-50? Or Utroms on an island on Earth in #56-58... Oh, and the Turtles taking over the Foot Clan.

Okay, so there has been SOME Mirage/Image influence. But it definitely feels like the least present influence of the various TMNT incarnations. What do you guys think?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Not unless it suits the story, no. Mirage (I'm including image as a part of that in this entire post) was a very cerebral and compelling take on the TMNT, but at the end of the day, it is a different animal than IDW. One of the problems with the original comics, is that most of the iconic characters (including the main ones) have already appeared in other media. And most of them have appeared in IDW already. What's left behind- Gosei Hattori, Pimiko, radical, Dale Evens McGullicutty, Shadow, the vampires, complete carnage, etc.- should only be brought in if the story calls for them. And really... I don't want to see IDW redo or copy and of the mirage tales or story elements- we already have the originals, and any new comic retelling would just be a cheap imitation of the classics. So Mirage-only elements and characters should be like anything else they pull from TMNT history- only used if they have a specific story to tell with it.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 06-22-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Technically speaking, Leo, Raph, Don, Mike, Splinter, April, Casey, Shredder, Karai, Baxter, Honeycutt, Renet, Savanti, Rat King, Leatherhead and Zog are all Mirage studios original characters and most of them are major players.

I can't really think of that many more characters anyone would actually care to see. What did you have in mind? Dale McGillicutty?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Not unless it suits the story, no. Mirage (I'm including image as a part of that in this entire post) was a very cerebral and compelling take on the TMNT, but at the end of the day, it is a different animal than IDW. One of the problems with the original comics, is that most of the iconic characters (including the main ones) have already appeared in other media. And most of them have appeared in IDW already. What's left behind- Gosei Hattori, Pimiko, radical, Sarah McGullicutty, Shadow, the vampires, complete carnage, etc.- should only be brought in if the story calls for them. And really... I don't want to see IDW redo or copy and of the mirage tales or story elements- we already have the originals, and any new comic retelling would just be a cheap imitation of the classics. So Mirage-only elements and characters should be like anything else they pull from TMNT history- only used if they have a specific story to tell with it.
I agree, and I guess it doesn't bother me THAT much because Mirage/Image comics were the best TMNT stories for my money. Those story elements don't NEED polishing and a second (better) telling... whereas Fred Wolf characters and ideas DEFINITELY need a second (better and more serious) telling. (I'm also not a fan of Archie, and have been greatly enjoying their characters and concepts being revamped.)

So basically, it boils down to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And Mirage is the least broke TMNT canon.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Also, who is McGillicutty?

(And always say no to the Justice Force, my least favorite Mirage element!)
Old 06-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post

Dale Evans McGillicutty- freaky super-intelligent mutant who built a time machine, and with the TMNT's help traveled through time and prevented her own mutation. In the altered timeline she's simply just a little girl.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
A character from the Mark Martin issues, a horrifically mutated little girl who travels back in time to prevent her mutation.

Quote:
I'm fine with them.
Hahahaha!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

You can never have enough Mirage influence, can you?

Quote:
Dale Evans McGillicutty
http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Da...s_McGillicutty

The little girl from Mirage 16, 22, and 23.
A very underrated character who definitely deserves some modern day interpretation. (A judging by these speedy responses, I'm not the only one who thinks so).
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Oh hell no, NOT THAT STORY ARC!!!!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #10
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Oh hell no, NOT THAT STORY ARC!!!!
Yeah, apart from the first issue, the rest of the story wasn't very good.
Dale pretty much was the only redeeming factor.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I now regret creating this thread, for we have strayed into WTF Mirage territory.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #12
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I'd love some more slice of life and existentialism.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I now regret creating this thread, for we have strayed into WTF Mirage territory.
Ah yes, that reminds me, the midget skrulls.
Hahahaha!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #14
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

As has been pointed out, nearly every single fundamental TMNT character is Mirage-based to begin with. So just by virtue of having characters like Leatherhead, the Rat King and Nobody running around, we're getting doses of Mirage-inspired content. They're just so ingrained into the multimedia franchise that they feel less like a Mirage callback and more like a given.

There are certainly more obscure characters from the Mirage comics I wouldn't mind seeing, but there's no need to force them in. And many of them, quite frankly, only appearing in 1 issue here and there, are shallow-enough that they could be substituted with an original character and who'd either notice or give a crap?

I mean, Radical and Complete Carnage might be neat, but I'm not exactly chomping at the bit for, I dunno, Jack Marlin or the King of Thieves and Hadji.

I can tell you what I DON'T want to see, and that's anymore adaptations of Mirage storylines. We already got the whole "exile to Northampton, Return to New York" thing, and that's the big storyline that nearly every incarnation adapts, but I don't want to see anymore after that. I'd prefer original plots over endless adaptations of the same narratives we've seen across multiple incarnations of the brand.

Honestly, the "Northampton/return" story is getting so stale in its rehashes, it's becoming the TMNT's "Death of Gwen Stacy". And man, if I gotta watch that chick die one more time, I'm gonna flip a table.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #15
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I'd love some more slice of life and existentialism.
. Seconded.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #16
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
I can tell you what I DON'T want to see, and that's anymore adaptations of Mirage storylines. We already got the whole "exile to Northampton, Return to New York" thing, and that's the big storyline that nearly every incarnation adapts, but I don't want to see anymore after that. I'd prefer original plots over endless adaptations of the same narratives we've seen across multiple incarnations of the brand.

Honestly, the "Northampton/return" story is getting so stale in its rehashes, it's becoming the TMNT's "Death of Gwen Stacy". And man, if I gotta watch that chick die one more time, I'm gonna flip a table.
For the sake of discussion, what if it was pulling influence from Mirage storylines that haven't been Gwen-Stacy-neck-snapped to death?

Say, The River? Or... well, most of Mirage Volume 1 HAS been done to death, hasn't it?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wyrm is basically Bloodsucker who already is in IDW.

As I said the only major thing IDW hasn't done much with is the Triceratons. We've seen brief snippets of them, but we never had a Triceraton arc. No Triceraton tournament arena. No Triceraton Vs. Federation/Utrom/Neutrino war. No Triceratons coming to Earth.

Since they're not as war driven in this series I guess it's hard to use them. Triceratons are basically the TMNT version of Klingon's, you just always want to see them go to war and fight people.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #18
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Again, I just don't know... by it's very nature, IDW is different than mirage, with a somewhat different audience. borrowed story lines and existentialist stuff might not work with this universe.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #19
2K3
Foot Soldier

Most of the Mirage-verse has been incorporated into IDW already.

The only characters/ stories from the series left that I'd love to see appear:

Characters
Miyamoto Usagi, General Blanque, Prime Leader Zanramon, Commander Mozar, King of Thieves and Louis Braunzel

Stories
Shades of Grey - Casey needs a big character boast now he and April are split.
2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #20
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
So basically, it boils down to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And Mirage is the least broke TMNT canon.
...Volume 4???

But yeah, IDW is doing fine as its own thing, even when taking strides from other versions. Plus there's City Fall and Northampton, which are Mirage staples. Same as the TCRI fiasco, but it was a different situation for IDW entirely.