The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 07-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #81
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNES View Post
Makes sense. But I would still think getting a slice of every neca sale would trump a playmates series run. Especially the last being Rise.
I don't know about that,
I have almost a full collection of 2012's figures
and i know a lot of people on this board do too.
Then Playmates got greedy, killed off nick 2012 turtles
and quickly rebooted rise in hopes to repeat that frenzy
but as we all know, that failed miserably.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:13 PM   #82
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

What shops and stores are selling the Sewer Lair Boxset? I can’t seem to find them.

Or are they already gone pretty much?
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:41 PM   #83
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
What shops and stores are selling the Sewer Lair Boxset? I can’t seem to find them.

Comic book shops that ordered the Sewer Lair Edition 6-Pack through the PREVIEWS catalog.

You did not miss them. The 6-figure set is now shipping to comic book stores everywhere in the US.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:45 PM   #84
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:

I have no idea why any of you guys would buy these instead of doing the hunt and investing in the authentic vintage stuff, but if it helps someone land what they want, then so be it:

TMNT Retro Rotocast Villains Mutant Module PX Previews Exclusives Set

TMNT Retro Rotocast Sewer Lair PX Previews Exclusives Set

You guys can pre-order, add them to your "Pile of Loot" and then ship them together when they come in for I think 4 bucks.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:52 PM   #85
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I have no idea why any of you guys would buy these instead of doing the hunt and investing in the authentic vintage stuff, but if it helps someone land what they want, then so be it:

You guys can pre-order, add them to your "Pile of Loot" and then ship them together when they come in for I think 4 bucks.
I get that. But I have the Van, Party Wagon, Subway, and the Module. It would bug me not continuing it.

The boxes are slick, c’mon.

Thanks for the links and responses.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:07 AM   #86
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Does Playmates have a lifelong hold on turtles? I always hear it’s playmates making Neca and others jump through these hoops for 6-7” figures.

Can’t Nintendo just look at the money lost from scalpers and tell Playmates to F off?
In the past, the master Toy license was usually for a ten year term. So it likely doesn't come up for renewal until around the end of the decade. (2027 or 2028 based on the original start or 2029 if they started fresh with the sale to Viacom.)

Toy companies, stores and license holders don't give the slightest iota of concern about scalpers. If you want to get an understanding of how industry insiders think/operate, check out the Spectrum Creative channel on YouTube. It's very He-man & the MOTU focused as that is the line the person worked on. But it still gives you a lot of behind the scenes information.

Also, I received my shipment with two of the Sewer and Mutant Module sets yesterday. (ordered from Dorkside Toys)

Finally, Viacom/Nickelodeon will NEVER drop Playmates for NECA, Super 7 etc... The licensing fees that they can make from a collector focused line can't compare to a mass market line supported by kids. And neither NECA or Super 7 can produce that kind of line.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:48 AM   #87
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
Finally, Viacom/Nickelodeon will NEVER drop Playmates for NECA, Super 7 etc... The licensing fees that they can make from a collector focused line can't compare to a mass market line supported by kids. And neither NECA or Super 7 can produce that kind of line.
I don’t necessarily think they need to drop Playmate, but I’d think they’d make more money getting rid of the grip Playmates has and let both companies coexist and sell openly. Idk. I’ll check out the video. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:12 AM   #88
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
I get that. But I have the Van, Party Wagon, Subway, and the Module. It would bug me not continuing it.

The boxes are slick, c’mon.

Thanks for the links and responses.
It's true, the boxes are neat....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:33 AM   #89
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
In the past, the master Toy license was usually for a ten year term. So it likely doesn't come up for renewal until around the end of the decade. (2027 or 2028 based on the original start or 2029 if they started fresh with the sale to Viacom.)

Toy companies, stores and license holders don't give the slightest iota of concern about scalpers. If you want to get an understanding of how industry insiders think/operate, check out the Spectrum Creative channel on YouTube. It's very He-man & the MOTU focused as that is the line the person worked on. But it still gives you a lot of behind the scenes information.

I wouldn't take all Toyguru says as gospel but it can give a good overview of the industry at times.

Yeah, Nick makes more money on mass produced lines and super 7/Neca may not be those kind of companies but literally ANYONE else besides playmates can do a better job of what they are currently doing or could do with a mass retail line.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:41 AM   #90
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
I wouldn't take all Toyguru says as gospel but it can give a good overview of the industry at times.

Yeah, Nick makes more money on mass produced lines and super 7/Neca may not be those kind of companies but literally ANYONE else besides playmates can do a better job of what they are currently doing or could do with a mass retail line.
I think Playmates should consider reissuing the 2K3 and the TMNT 2007 CGI movie figures. Easy cash if the market is ready.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:40 AM   #91
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post

Yeah, it is pretty obvious in watching his videos that he knows not to say anything negative about Mattel or toy companies in general since he is still trying to work in that industry. But his videos do give you a good look at the attitudes that the industry has towards certain topics.

And after years of hearing some fans complain about toy companies not doing things because the fan didn't understand the different economics behind different types of changes (ie, changing the paint is way cheaper than changing the sculpt), it is nice to have an industry professional that one can point to in explaining why their ideas aren't feasible.

And as for the claim that any company could handle a mass market TMNT line better than Playmates, I'll just point out Mattel and their handling of the Masters of the Universe Origins line as a counter example. Complain about Playmates all you want, but at least they haven't relaunched the line only to mortally wound it with incredibly stupid distribution ideas. And this is after they killed the original line in the 80's with poor handling of the distribution as well.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:19 PM   #92
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, it is pretty obvious in watching his videos that he knows not to say anything negative about Mattel or toy companies in general since he is still trying to work in that industry. But his videos do give you a good look at the attitudes that the industry has towards certain topics.

And after years of hearing some fans complain about toy companies not doing things because the fan didn't understand the different economics behind different types of changes (ie, changing the paint is way cheaper than changing the sculpt), it is nice to have an industry professional that one can point to in explaining why their ideas aren't feasible.

And as for the claim that any company could handle a mass market TMNT line better than Playmates, I'll just point out Mattel and their handling of the Masters of the Universe Origins line as a counter example. Complain about Playmates all you want, but at least they haven't relaunched the line only to mortally wound it with incredibly stupid distribution ideas. And this is after they killed the original line in the 80's with poor handling of the distribution as well.
I will take poor distribution over a lack of effort like what playmates puts out. Hell even Jada toys is putting out quality stuff ... Jada toys?!?!
Old 08-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #93
Leo656
The Franchise

MOTU Origins might be hard to find in stores but they're doing huge sales numbers with it regardless. Especially online. Their sales have gone up every Quarter since the line launched.

Anybody who wants them badly enough has known for almost a year to just order them on BigBadToyStore and Entertainment Earth rather than try to find them in stores. Takes a while to get them, but you get them, and $4 shipping is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Mattel just registered trademarks for almost 30 characters. So it doesn't seem like the line is having problems of any serious significance. Yes, they're incredibly hard to find in stores and they could do much better to balance the distribution - some areas get tons of figures, others get hardly any - but scalpers are having a field day with the line so I'm not sure things would be much different even if Mattel did a better job balancing the distribution. They'd still vanish as soon as they hit shelves because the line is "hot" right now.

Their WWE lines are having similar problems. Yes, distribution could be better, but you still have people scooping up all the hot figures as soon as they're off the truck. Just because people can't simply walk into the store and buy them doesn't mean the lines are suffering; rather the opposite.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:09 PM   #94
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
MOTU Origins might be hard to find in stores but they're doing huge sales numbers with it regardless. Especially online. Their sales have gone up every Quarter since the line launched.

Anybody who wants them badly enough has known for almost a year to just order them on BigBadToyStore and Entertainment Earth rather than try to find them in stores. Takes a while to get them, but you get them, and $4 shipping is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Mattel just registered trademarks for almost 30 characters. So it doesn't seem like the line is having problems of any serious significance. Yes, they're incredibly hard to find in stores and they could do much better to balance the distribution - some areas get tons of figures, others get hardly any - but scalpers are having a field day with the line so I'm not sure things would be much different even if Mattel did a better job balancing the distribution. They'd still vanish as soon as they hit shelves because the line is "hot" right now.

Their WWE lines are having similar problems. Yes, distribution could be better, but you still have people scooping up all the hot figures as soon as they're off the truck. Just because people can't simply walk into the store and buy them doesn't mean the lines are suffering; rather the opposite.
Yeah what we also perceive as 'bad distro' can also mean hot lines that get bought.

However, I would be hard pressed to find many lines that DON'T have distro issues over the past year and it is going to get worse by xmas not better.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:46 PM   #95
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Sorry, but for a mass market line if I can't find it at retail then kids can't find there either. And if kids can't get the figures, the line has a short life ahead of it, especially if there are two other lines from the same license competing with it at retail which is about to be the case with MOTU. Fortunately MOTU Origins does have the advantage that any figures made for it become usable for the WWE/MOTU cross-over line. And that does seem to be doing just fine at retail.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:35 PM   #96
Leo656
The Franchise

The WWE/MOTU line just got cancelled, actually. It's being replaced by "WWE Superstars", which will have more or less the same molds but will no longer have the MOTU mash-up gimmick, and will be based almost exclusively on "old-school" characters. Hogan and Flair will be part of the first Wave.

And lots of kids are into Origins. They just ask their parents to buy them online, and they do. It's very simple.

Not to start sounding like sdp, but retail is no longer any indicator of a brand's success or failure. That's outdated thinking. Not only did the pandemic force people to do more shopping online anyway, but the largest retail stores like Wal-Mart (and Target to a lesser degree) simply don't stock very much at all from the "hottest" toy lines. For example, the McFarlane DC figures are "hot" right now, everyone wants them, but if you go to an actual store ALL you're gonna find is Batman-related stuff because that's all the stores order. And scalpers buy everything they DO have in-stock, so even if they do order a Green Lantern or whatever unless you camp outside the store you're not getting one.

"I can't buy these off the shelf" doesn't mean a toy line is dying. Most toys sell through online distributors now. Anyone who wants to buy something has plenty of options in-between retail and eBay. Those are not the only two options. Once more, despite the wait times I highly recommend BBTS; there's no solid time frame on when you'll get your stuff BUT you'll get it eventually and in pristine condition. But even aside from that, the Wal-Mart, Target and Amazon websites are all out there as well, even though they run out of stock faster.

Frankly, I hate that it's come to this but anyone who actually expects to walk into a Wal-Mart and find the toys they're looking for is a sucker. Doesn't matter WHAT line you collect, you need to start looking at online options. That's what the savvy consumers already made peace with over a year ago.

Once again, given how Mattel is ramping up production on even more characters for Origins, your "theory" seems inherently flawed.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #97
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

there was a price mistake on gamestop for the sewer lair set, was able to snag it for 22 bucks....and it shipped

lets goooooooo
Old 08-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #98
2012Mikey
New Recruit

These are perfect for me since I wasn't alive when these toys were at the height of their popularity
2012Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:21 AM   #99
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
I think Playmates should consider reissuing the 2K3 and the TMNT 2007 CGI movie figures. Easy cash if the market is ready.
2007 isn't going to happen, Playmates lost the molds several years ago which is why the giant Leo box set skipped 2007 figures.
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:01 AM   #100
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post

I only bought them bc there was a price mistake on gamestop and picked them up for 30 bucks shipped, wasn't passing that up