The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

OT ep: Planet of the Turtles

This episode is of course not to be confused with "Planet of the Turtleoids" from Season 5. This was the first alien Turtle planet from Season 4.

What I love about this episode is most of it is actually spent inside the Technodrome, rather than on the alien Turtle planet. We're also introduced to two Turtle wrestlers with accents who were fun to watch. I love how they could take off their shells and throw them at the Turtles, and when Mike destroyed one they were like, "He broke my shell, he broke my shell!" and the other says, "Don't worry, go grow a new shell."

I also found Rupert the turtle salesman to be hilarious, especially with his scams about the personal energy projector going, "Ka-bloooo-ie!"

Splinter and April also sneak onto the Technodrome and disguise themselves as Foot Soldiers. We also get yet another Splinter Vs. Shredder fight in this episode, even though it was pretty short. And get a nice Foot Soldier battle to boot. Good action scenes and good animation.

I really like this episode a lot, and strangely enough Bebop/Rocksteady are absent for the entire episode, even though the bulk of it is spent inside the Technodrome.

This episode is obviously overshadowed by, "Planet of the Turtleoids," but I think, "Planet of the Turtles" can stand on its own as a fun episode.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
pannoni1
Foot Elite

I also enjoy that its the first time that the Turtles actually travel in Dimension X (though they don't actually set afoot until "The Dimension X Story".) It is also the only syndicated episode of Season 4 that is not animated in Dublin which contributes to being one of the better animated episodes as well. The Technodrome's security system also is put into good use when Shredder contacts the Foot Soldiers.

It would be fascinating (if not scary) if we had technology to prove that other planets have their own TV networks with wrestling similar to how it would be done on Earth, and I can clearly see some Jetsons influence on the first Turtle planet. A shame there was no Fugitoid since this could have been a good episode to introduce him given there was a figure on him that just came out.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Its interesting to note how the Turtles themselves didn't seem to care all that much about other sentinent Turtle beings out there who looked just like them. You'd think discovering there was more of your kind, (even if they were alien turtles, not mutated turtles) would be a bigger deal to them.

The Turtle on shell-ri-la looked very different as they were small and had bigger beaks, but the ones from Planet of the Turtles looked very similar.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Icebot
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Turtle on shell-ri-la looked very different as they were small and had bigger beaks, but the ones from Planet of the Turtles looked very similar.
Yeah, one of the turtleoids even said of the TMNT they don't look real and it looks like someone drew them.

I found it pretty hilarious that the tax driver in Planet of the Turtles said they use bugs and insects as money instead of dollars and cents. Also, that pizza bug was beyond creepy.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
Yeah, one of the turtleoids even said of the TMNT they don't look real and it looks like someone drew them.
Even at the age of nine I got that joke. Terrific!
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
DonatelloNinja82
Mad Scientist

I like this ep, too...and Ka-boo-hoo-hoo-hooie is classic!!!!!

DonatelloNinja82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
rufus
Stone Warrior

One of my favorite episodes. Isn't this the first episode to use the new end credits background?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
One of my favorite episodes. Isn't this the first episode to use the new end credits background?
No, the very first episode of Season 4 has it.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
shreddinghead

This episode was okey, good animation and the wrestling turtles Fritz and Hans had a funny german accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannoni1 View Post
I also enjoy that its the first time that the Turtles actually travel in Dimension X
The turtles travels to Dimension X with a spaceship commandeered by general Yoghurt in episode Shredder's Mom.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I never much cared for this episode. The plot with the Personal Energy Projector was interesting, but they could've simply had a human scientist invent it and the two wrestlers could've just been people dressed like turtles.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I never much cared for this episode. The plot with the Personal Energy Projector was interesting, but they could've simply had a human scientist invent it and the two wrestlers could've just been people dressed like turtles.
Why would you want them to be humans to be dressed like Turtles? The whole point of this episode is they discovered an alien Turtle planet.

This episode was also a lot better than a lot of those other early Season 4 eps before the opening change.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
Jephael

Quote:
Why would you want them to be humans to be dressed like Turtles?
As I said before, I didn't care for that storyline about another planet full of turtles that acted just like humans, but the premise with the invention was interesting. Also there actually was a human wrestler the guys were watching on TV dressed like a turtle in "Turtles on Trial", so it would've made a cool callback to that episode.

www.jephael.com

Last edited by Jephael; 01-27-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
As I said before, I didn't care for that storyline about another planet full of turtles that acted just like humans, but the premise with the invention was interesting. Also there actually was a human wrestler the guys were watching on TV dressed like a turtle in "Turtles on Trial", so it would've made a cool callback to that episode.
This was the first alien Turtle planet, so if anything the Turtleoids episode ripped off of this one. Even though those turtle aliens were really small and tiny and not like these.

I thought this was one of the funniest episodes of the season actually. I remember lots of great jokes in this one and well done chemistry.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #14
Jephael

Quote:
This was the first alien Turtle planet, so if anything the Turtleoids episode ripped off of this one. Even though those turtle aliens were really small and tiny and not like these.

I thought this was one of the funniest episodes of the season actually. I remember lots of great jokes in this one and well done chemistry.
I get why you liked it, but the Turtleoids story was way better, plus Kerma was a recurring character. We never saw those other alien turtles ever again.

www.jephael.com
Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

It was a good one and done episode. Many episodes have characters that never appear again.

I also like almost all the episodes where the Turtles travel to inside the Technodrome.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #16
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Why didn't they have Kerma and the turtleoids living on the same planet like the Flying Turtlenecker Brothers? That would be more like some kind of sequel, and not just re-using the same plot/concept twice.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Because "Turtleoids" aren't the same type of Turtles as the ones on this planet. You could tell they were an entirely different species.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #18
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Because "Turtleoids" aren't the same type of Turtles as the ones on this planet. You could tell they were an entirely different species.
Yeah, but they chould have two species on the same planet.

There was also that "Turtle Nebula" episode, which seemed to have some planet with turtles.

And pannoni1, you think it's weird they have professional wrestling on the Planet of the Turtles? Ever heard of the Eden Worlds planets in the Archie Comics. Awesome poetric name which really refers to what those planets are like, but hey, do they really read the Bible in Dimension X.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 01-28-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #19
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Its interesting to note how the Turtles themselves didn't seem to care all that much about other sentinent Turtle beings out there who looked just like them. You'd think discovering there was more of your kind, (even if they were alien turtles, not mutated turtles) would be a bigger deal to them.

I always thought that was weird too. These turtles actually "looked" like OUR turtles, yet they could care less. But the Shell-Re-La turtles look more like real turtles, and in that episode Donny's all, "I wish there was a planet of turtles. We belong here!" Hmm... I liked the turtles on Planet of the Turtles better than the Shell-Re-La turtles too.

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #20
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

I didn't get to see this episode until I got it on VHS for Christmas of 92. I wanna say Plan 6 was also included on said tape. I was thrilled to see the majority of time spent inside the Technodrome. I love villain tech, so Planet of The Turtles has been a favorite of mine for quite a while now. Interesting that Bebop and Rocksteady weren't in this one. I guess they must have been wrapped up with some videogame in their room. Or maybe they were confined to quarters for some failure or another. God, Rupert still cracks me up. Loved that character and the turtlenecker brothers were cool too. Always wanted figs of these guys.

Tags
episode discussion, fred wolf series