The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 06-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #141
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Failed clone or not.... April Derp was clearly mentally retarded.... and there lies the insult.

Honestly I kinda didn't want to hear that word in a TMNT cartoon. The term is far from outdated too. 9Gag uses it all the time in their Derp and Derpina strips.
C'mon dude, she was just a failed clone. She wasn't retarded or anything like that.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #142
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Exactly. It was just one sound and that's it. Besides, she probably won't be coming back anyway, so I really don't see what the issue is here.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #143
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I thought they called her April Derp because she said it a lot. Mikey even called the other clones April Derps.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:43 AM   #144
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
C'mon dude, she was just a failed clone. She wasn't retarded or anything like that.
Ughhh yeah... She basically was. Clearly she didn't have a fully developed brain which is what causes mental retardation.

Gah. Why did the show had to touch on such a touchy subject.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #145
Powder
So tired of this place

Failed clones & creatures made by man that are not fully man, are a big part of horror & sci-fi culture, which this show pulls from immensely. It's not a touchy subject, it's just folks like you choosing to put a liberal spin on things, creating problems where there are none.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #146
The Big Bad
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Failed clones & creatures made by man that are not fully man, are a big part of horror & sci-fi culture, which this show pulls from immensely. It's not a touchy subject, it's just folks like you choosing to put a liberal spin on things, creating problems where there are none.

Yes, she draws from a series of established tropes. But here's the thing: failed science experiments, zombies and whatnot tend to be treated sympathetically, as people who bear no culpability and whose deaths tend to be considered undesirable and undeserved. Here, however, the April clone is not only named by the writers after an ableist slur, she is made fun of over and over again by the script, and is killed without any sort of consideration, despite the fact that she is a sentient creature who was simply lashing out after being held captive all of her life. What, exactly, makes her any different from any of the turtles--similarly accidental genetic misfits--and why is she undeserving of the empathy the writers expect us to have for them? What makes her deserving of being defined solely by her perceived lack of intelligence?

Previous avatar artwork by Lorna-ka.

Last edited by The Big Bad; 07-01-2014 at 07:09 PM.
The Big Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #147
TurtleMaster4
Hench Mutant

A person's a person no matter how small....... Or big!

I don't see any "Fat Shamming" as you call it, the only one was with Timothy, there were time I feel like they were trying to use is weight as a joke in the first episode. I call that bad comedy, not shaming.

Actually, pretty much everything with Timothy is bad comedy, I have a hate hate relationship with that character, but if I spoke on that It might take a few threads!

Anyways, Mr. Muricami (I know I spelled it wrong) was heavy, but he was also awesome! They need a Muracami show!
TurtleMaster4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #148
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Bad View Post
Yes, she draws from a series of established tropes. But here's the thing: failed science experiments, zombies and whatnot tend to be treated sympathetically, as people who bear no culpability and whose deaths tend to be considered undesirable and undeserved. Here, however, the April clone is not only named by the writers after an ableist slur, she is made fun of over and over again by the script, and is killed without any sort of consideration, despite the fact that she is a sentient creature who was simply lashing out after being held captive all of her life. What, exactly, makes her any different from any of the turtles--similarly accidental genetic misfits--and why is she undeserving of the empathy the writers expect us to have for them? What makes her deserving of being defined solely by her perceived lack of intelligence?
Maybe because in this context she's the villain created by the Kraang. After all, why should we have sympathy for the villains anyway? That's the way I look at it, and I really don't care about her or how she was modeled. You just like to look into things too deeply and try to make it seem like the show's doing such a horrible thing when it's not. Lighten up.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #149
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Bad View Post
Powder saying so, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Maybe because in this context she's the villain created by the Kraang. After all, why should we have sympathy for the villains anyway? That's the way I look at it, and I really don't care about her or how she was modeled. You just like to look into things too deeply and try to make it seem like the show's doing such a horrible thing when it's not. Lighten up.
No.
One note villains are boring characters. They're a product of lazy storytelling.
Villains, GOOD villains, should be sympathetic. They're supposed to be the heroes of their own stories. Being three dimensional characters makes for better drama. It gives the hope of redemption, and by extension makes the heroes more heroic by comparison.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #150
The Big Bad
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Maybe because in this context she's the villain created by the Kraang. After all, why should we have sympathy for the villains anyway?
In this particular case? Because she has absolutely no say in her situation and is being held captive for reasons having nothing to do with her actions. Because her understanding of her situation and the consequences of her actions are suspect at best. Because other people treat her as a monster because of her appearance and intelligence--including, sadly, our heroes.

It's interesting to compare "The Kraang Conspiracy" with the Fast Forward episode "D.N.A. is Thicker than Water". Faced with their own version of the April clone--Sh'Okanabo's turtles--the writers of that episode understood that the characters' circumstances didn't curtail the possibility for them to do good, and made it so that the (non-clone) turtles knew it as well. Even though the clone turtles are far more responsible for their actions than the April clone was, the 4Kids turtles were nevertheless sympathetic enough to try and reach out to their "brothers", something that the episode portrays as good and turns out to pay dividends, as the clone turtles end up being more kind to one another. Was that episode wrong? Were they not deserving of the sympathy they got?

Previous avatar artwork by Lorna-ka.
The Big Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #151
alpaca witch
Random Punk

I like how apparently "you're looking into it too deeply" is somehow considered a valid argument. Yes, TMNT is primarily a kids show that also caters to older audiences but that doesn't mean it's exempt from analysis and criticism. It's not really even grasping at straws at this point, we've pointed out a scene (or series of scenes) that blatantly happened, not some random hidden easter egg or something like that. Again, I'm sure the writers had no intentions of making it offensive, as most seem to just think "derp" is a random silly internet word, but it still came off as cringe worthy and just... needlessly touchy.

Back to the April reject discussion though, it was really messed up how she was dealt with all things aside. I mean the kraang just shoved her in some hole in the floor and then forced her out to try and fight the turtles. From what I remember she seemed pretty harmless, and just didn't know her own strength. I mean for heck's sake she hugged the turtles then went on about how she loved hugs. I never once felt like she was a legit threat, if anything I actually felt bad for her since I'm sure she would have rather just played with the turtles. But then she exploded, along with a whole gaggle of other Aprils. Weird episode, even for TMNT.
alpaca witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #152
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Failed clone or not.... April Derp was clearly mentally retarded.... and there lies the insult.

Honestly I kinda didn't want to hear that word in a TMNT cartoon. The term is far from outdated too. 9Gag uses it all the time in their Derp and Derpina strips.
You must be one of those.... ummm... people.... from that failing, asswipe "everyone gets a trophy" generation, huh?

Some things are jokes, kid. Learn to laugh and make stands on real issues.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #153
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpaca witch View Post

Back to the April reject discussion though, it was really messed up how she was dealt with all things aside. I mean the kraang just shoved her in some hole in the floor and then forced her out to try and fight the turtles. From what I remember she seemed pretty harmless, and just didn't know her own strength. I mean for heck's sake she hugged the turtles then went on about how she loved hugs. I never once felt like she was a legit threat, if anything I actually felt bad for her since I'm sure she would have rather just played with the turtles. But then she exploded, along with a whole gaggle of other Aprils. Weird episode, even for TMNT.
Yeah, I felt sorry for her too, even for the other clones. I'm guessing they also felt that they were April, and that their whole feelings were based on something that was never true.

Although with so many things of the show to talk about, why does it end up being that the most in depth multi-page discussion of it is how it's insulting to fat people and special needs? That's an odd thing to pull from a TMNT show.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:21 AM   #154
Klap Klap
Random Punk

Well… uh…

It's not uncommon for a cartoon show to scratch the surface of bad taste from time to time. It'll probably happen again for the sake of a cheap laugh.

My thoughts? April Derp would have best been suited as a scrapped idea. It was obviously going to ruffle a few feathers. Not everything has to be tip-toed around, but come on, it wasn't even that funny. Also, if I may be sensitive for a moment, Casey calling Irma 'nasty' was baffling. It's humorous to mistake Splinter for Irma, but why add on 'so nasty'. Is it because her style illustrates typical adolescent angst? Is it because she's a little overweight? I don't see anything repugnant about Irma.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #155
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I don't think Casey was referencing her appearance in that comment but more about what she was talking about. You know how she loves rats and often goes on tangents about them and other things. She was probably discussing something that Casey didn't find amusing and thought it was nasty, hence why he called her that.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #156
MCLeo28
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I don't think Casey was referencing her appearance in that comment but more about what she was talking about. You know how she loves rats and often goes on tangents about them and other things. She was probably discussing something that Casey didn't find amusing and thought it was nasty, hence why he called her that.
This. You honestly can't overlook Irma's reaction to the rat droppings in "Of Rats and Men". Those are instances where we have seen Irma being considered an "odd ball". That, and since Irma talks about rats which we know Casey doesn't particularly enjoy just emphasizes why Casey considers Irma nasty.
MCLeo28 is offline   Reply With Quote