The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #1
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

‘Jeopardy’ host has history with controversial lawsuits.

Yesterday, it was reported that executive game show producer Mike Richards would permanently replace the late Alex Trebek as the host of Jeopardy!.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mik...ek-1235034673/

However, he has some very controversial history. In 2011, he was previously sued for sexual harassment by a model from The Price is Right.

https://popculture.com/tv-shows/news...ars-deal-host/

Another model from the show also sued him for a discrimination lawsuit.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...l-wins-393521/

So, Sony really seems like they are making a mistake by hiring this man to host the show.

Last edited by ranger_scout; 09-16-2021 at 06:33 PM. Reason: New title
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:06 PM   #2
The Deadman
Foot Elite

I mean, both of those were 10 years ago. They should have no impact on him being the new host unless Twitter goes out of it's way to try and "cancel" him.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:01 PM   #3
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

This kind of behavior doesn’t surprise me though. Richards was also an executive producer for a game show that left me with scarred. During the 2000’s, he was an executive producer on both the Primetime and syndicated versions of Weakest Link. The latter hosted by George Gray was especially bad because the contestants had very erratic and gross behavior. When Gray became the announcer on The Price is Right I officially stopped watching it and I had mostly given up on it already because I didn’t enjoy Drew Carey as the host.

The resurfacing of these lawsuits is of course making a lot of press.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...it-1234993647/

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mik...an-1235035652/

https://deadline.com/2021/08/jeopard...ch-1234810536/

https://ew.com/tv/mike-richards-jeop...ons-resurface/

It’s also strange how a lot people were auditioning for this job and yet a producer just decides to promote himself. Ken Jennings, the show’s all-time champion, said some very bad things in the past, but he at least apologized. Richards has remained silent on these allegations.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Richards has released a statement about the allegations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards
Team Jeopardy!

Recently, Jeopardy!, our host search and the possibility of me hosting has been all over the news. I want to take a moment so that you can hear directly from me. The last year has been the most challenging in the history of the show. I know we are all still dealing with the loss of our hero, Alex, while at the same time continuing to produce amazing shows for our millions of fans through the pandemic. Our success over that time with our guest-host rotation, including the more than $3 million we raised for charities, is a singular achievement and a testament to your talent and dedication. I've produced a lot of television over the years, and I could not be more impressed with team Jeopardy!

It is true that I was asked if I would consider hosting the show. I was humbled and deeply honored. No final decisions have been made and discussions with me and other potential hosts are still ongoing. I know I have mentioned this to you all before, but the choice on this is not my decision and never has been. Throughout this search, Sony's top priority has always been to continue the incredible legacy you and Alex built. As you know, Alex always believed the game itself and the contestants are the most important aspects of the show, and that will continue to be the guiding principle as the decision is finalized.

I want to address the complicated employment issues raised in the press during my time at The Price is Right ten years ago. These were allegations made in employment disputes against the show. I want you all to know that the way in which my comments and actions have been characterized in these complaints does not reflect the reality of who I am or how we worked together on The Price is Right. I know firsthand how special it is to be a parent. It is the most important thing in the world to me. I would not say anything to disrespect anyone's pregnancy and have always supported my colleagues on their parenting journeys.

I am very proud of my time on The Price Is Right and Let's Make a Deal. During my tenure, our female cast members welcomed seven beautiful children. We embraced and celebrated each pregnancy and birth both in front of and behind the camera. It was a joy to watch their families grow and highlight their happiness as part of the show.

For us, I realize there is a lot going on right now as we ramp up for the new season. Please do not hesitate to reach out of you have any questions or concerns.

It is truly an honor to get to work with all of you to produce this amazing show, and I look forward to the days ahead as we get back into production.

Mike
https://ew.com/tv/jeopardy-host-fron...awsuit-claims/
Old 08-19-2021, 12:29 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

New Jeopardy host(s)

And already the guy is apologizing to the Twitter SJW mob for things he said years and years ago. Huge mistake. Does nobody ever learn?

https://news.yahoo.com/jeopardy-host...224534534.html
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:29 AM   #6
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
And already the guy is apologizing to the Twitter SJW mob for things he said years and years ago. Huge mistake. Does nobody ever learn?

https://news.yahoo.com/jeopardy-host...224534534.html
I just don't get it. What is it about Twitter that makes it the authority to what is right and wrong with society and who the cancel next and whatever?

Like every time someone is cancelled over something stupid (not an actual crime or a sexual accusation, I'm referring to stupid stuff like calling a woman fat 5 years ago or voting for the 'wrong' guy), it's always Twitter or maybe TikTok. No on ever gets cancelled over **** they've said on Facebook or Tumblr or whatever. It's always Twitter.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:08 AM   #8
The Deadman
Foot Elite

He stepped down as host. Cancel culture strikes again.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:11 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, see? Absolutely ZERO good comes from apologizing from old tweets/whatever. It ALWAYS makes things worse.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mik...ed-1235045394/
Old 08-20-2021, 09:19 AM   #10
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I am glad that he stepped down. It's because of the fact he was a bridge between host due to covid issues and Ken's obligations to The Chase so he was never supposed to host. Richards should have never been in the running. He also was the one picking audition tapes for other candidates. Also, he was only the executive producer for half a season before Alex died when Harry Friedman retired. There is little relationship there. I was pushing for Ken from day one. He took the ball on the event of Alex's passing and did great. I have loved him since his run in 2004. The Beast can take his place fully on The Chase.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:22 AM   #11
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Good bring Levar Burton to host.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:43 AM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

Reading that article it was actually about stuff he said on old podcasts, nothing to do with tweets,
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Reading that article it was actually about stuff he said on old podcasts, nothing to do with tweets,
Same difference, really.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Apparently the consensus from everyone I've read that actually watched those tryout episodes is, "The people really wanting Levar Burton on Jeopardy must not have seen those episodes. Because he was objectively terrible in them and the ratings bombed to prove it."
Old 08-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Apparently the consensus from everyone I've read that actually watched those tryout episodes is, "The people really wanting Levar Burton on Jeopardy must not have seen those episodes. Because he was objectively terrible in them and the ratings bombed to prove it."
To be fair Burton had 1 week not 2. He also had an annoying champion in his week. There is one gaff he made in his first episode though he is human and likely nervous due to the fans putting extra pressure in him due to the support.. Also, the Olympics were going on. So there are many factors to consider along with the fact Richards was selecting footage for Sony to view. Ken is my choice but all facts need to be out there for LeVar.
Old 08-20-2021, 05:47 PM   #16
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
exactly, give it to levar, I really liked him.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:40 PM   #17
Vegita-San
Emperor

he's a terrible producer who ruined price is right and would have ruined the sanctity of jeapordy. this is one time I'm GLAD cancel culture happened as a game show fan.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:58 AM   #18
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
He stepped down as host. Cancel culture strikes again.
Look I don't have any problem with him not getting the job. He said some really awful things in a previous podcast that resurfaced.

New ‘Jeopardy!’ Host Mike Richards Made Sexist Comments in Resurfaced Podcast

They were so provocative and unfunny that Anti-Defamation League was calling on him to be investigated.

Anti-Defamation League Calls For Investigation Of ‘Jeopardy!’ Host Mike Richards’ Comments
Old 08-21-2021, 10:06 AM   #19
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I don't care about years old comments. Its the way he got the job he was not in the running for and being the primary person involved in selecting a replacement for the irreplaceable. That is what irritates me. Covid caused him to have to fill in and he was not on the host list. Stick to production and stay off screen. I am honestly surprised that Harry Friedman did not have any input on this.

Can we please just have Ken Jennings host? No one will top Trebeck, but at least with Ken there is a connection to Alex.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #20
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Look I don't have any problem with him not getting the job. He said some really awful things in a previous podcast that resurfaced.

New ‘Jeopardy!’ Host Mike Richards Made Sexist Comments in Resurfaced Podcast

They were so provocative and unfunny that Anti-Defamation League was calling on him to be investigated.

Anti-Defamation League Calls For Investigation Of ‘Jeopardy!’ Host Mike Richards’ Comments
Naturally all of this is brought up just as he was about to host.

So is there some 'cancel team' in the payroll or something? "Someone we don't like is going to do something we don't like. Quick, scour the internet for any remotely bad thing they said or tweeted going back since the internet was a thing. I want whatever it is to be trending and on everybody's lips first thing in the morning. I want this person cancelled IMMEDIATELY".

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote