The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-01-2022, 12:43 AM   #41
Leo656
The Franchise

It's cynical AND true.

Keaton has been asked to do both Batman and Beetlejuice, more than once, going alllll the way back to the last time he did either. It's always been, "I don't see any point, I think it would just hurt the image people have of the originals, sequels by definition are hard to make any good, they're always just about the money," etc. etc. etc. Those are things he's said, and often.

I mean look at his entire career, he's almost never even done any sequels, because as a rule he doesn't like them. "Batman Returns" was one of the only ones he ever did and it wasn't a great experience for him, so he took the opportunity to bow out of the third one after Schumacher came on. He already wasn't interested, but when Joel came on and tried to turn the entire thing into a giant neon nightmare, Keaton said "Yeah, nah, no more." That was the final straw, but he already had said he had huge reservations. He had huge reservations about doing the SECOND one, let alone any more.

Then at other times, he said "I *might* be up for another swing at Batman, but ONLY if Tim Burton did it." News Flash: Tim Burton is NOT making the Flash movie OR the Batgirl movie. So obviously, $omething ha$ changed, and he'$ Batman again for other rea$on$.

As for Beetlejuice, for a VERY long time WB only had one script for that - "Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian" - and people who have seen said script say that it was the exact same movie as the first one... except on a beach. If that sounds good to you, then please never talk about movies again. Please.

I doubt they'll go with THAT awful script, don't get me wrong. My point is, for like 20 years THAT was the "best" idea they ever had for a Beetlejuice sequel. You trust THOSE people? I don't. Like yeah, it'll most likely be a different script, but that doesn't mean it will be crafted with care or any good. It will probably just be a recycling of most of the familiar bits - the Calypso scene, the head-spinning, "Nice F*CKING model!" and all of that - with a different cast.

Keaton in-character as Beetlejuice will be a hoot, don't get me wrong. The movie surrounding it? If it's anything but "hot garbage" I will be f*cking SHOCKED.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:50 AM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Gotta say, all the pointing to the Beetlejuice Hawaii script seems a little dumb. Did Burton have anything to do with commissioning it? Because I suspect it's just like every 20 of the horrible TMNT scripts that thankfully never got made that Peter blocked but the studios commissioned. As in, indicative of cocaine and Hollywood and little else. Maybe they wanted to woo Burton at Burton's prime and of course he gave them the finger with such a thing.

You get people actually invested in the IP doing good scripts you can make something of it. You just saw that with GB Afterlife.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:58 AM   #43
Leo656
The Franchise

My point is that for over two decades, for whatever reason, that was the "best" they could do. It exposes how creatively bankrupt the brain trust is over there.

And no, I am pretty sure Burton was not involved in that. They were hoping to do it with or without him and were prepared to do it without him. I haven't heard if he's signed on for this round or not. But if he doesn't, we've already seen, they have no serious problem doing it without him.

And even if he DOES sign on... that does NOT mean it will be "good". If you look at ALL of Burton's career, the guy's a f*cking hack who got lucky a couple of times. I'm f*cking saying it. He hasn't made an actual "good" movie since "Mars Attacks", for f*ck's sake. He went far past "self-parody" into "I'unno, I don't care, I gotta eat" territory f*cking forever ago, already. Most of his output from the last twenty years has been terrible.

So yeah, even if they do get to brag that "Beetlejuice 2: Coming From the Creative Genius Behind Dumbo and Planet of the Apes".... I STILL won't be impressed.

We'll see. Like I said, obviously they're not gonna use the old "Hawaii" script. But it just goes to show how little these people give a sh*t.

Old 03-01-2022, 01:09 AM   #44
Powder
So tired of this place

He better be in it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 01:13 AM   #45
Leo656
The Franchise

I'll allow it if we get a Jeff Jarrett cameo, so as to reenact this classic moment:

Old 03-01-2022, 01:47 AM   #46
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ok see that was a long time ago and I understand not liking the direction at the time or not wanting to rely on sequels.

Michael Keaton’s Batman is coming back under new circumstances and other character’s stories. Beetlejuice will be developed differently too. I cannot believe he’s only doing it for money when he obviously does not need either one.

Harold Ramis did not like doing sequels but he said more than once he’d be willing to do GB3 if the idea was good. He didn’t seem very interested but it’s cool he was open to it. He mentioned doing it in part for Dan Aykroyd.

The implication should not be...they’re doing it for it money.

Things change, ideas come and go and they feel different.

Actually I’ve never thought ‘89 or Returns were very good but it’s cool to revisit that world with new characters. I liked the portrayal and his Batmobile.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:27 AM   #47
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

I'll allow it if we get a Jeff Jarrett cameo, so as to reenact this classic moment:
https://c.tenor.com/CSie1P65aEIAAAAM...-slap-nuts.gif
Okay, that made me laugh. Thank you!

The ending of the first Beetlejuice movie left no mention of a sequel as Tim Burton wanted a one-and-done movie. Lydia Deets is happy with her poltergeist friends that even made her parents into happier people. BJ is waiting in line, cheats to get next in line, and pays the price for it.

That was it. No need for a sequel.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:34 AM   #48
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
Okay, that made me laugh. Thank you!

The ending of the first Beetlejuice movie left no mention of a sequel as Tim Burton wanted a one-and-done movie. Lydia Deets is happy with her poltergeist friends that even made her parents into happier people. BJ is waiting in line, cheats to get next in line, and pays the price for it.

That was it. No need for a sequel.
Eh IDK. Lydia was still a kid then, or at least a teen. Like most movies or cartoons that deal with the premises of young characters having odd childhood friends that are monsters, ghosts or aliens, the question comes up about what happens when they're adults and those weird friends are still around.

How does adult Lydia deal living with ghosts of a married couple? How would Billy deal with still keeping Gizmo around as an adult. How about Brian, what if he got stuck looking after ALF in his adult years?

There is at least some potential there.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 03:09 PM   #49
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Eh IDK. Lydia was still a kid then, or at least a teen. Like most movies or cartoons that deal with the premises of young characters having odd childhood friends that are monsters, ghosts or aliens, the question comes up about what happens when they're adults and those weird friends are still around.

How does adult Lydia deal living with ghosts of a married couple? How would Billy deal with still keeping Gizmo around as an adult. How about Brian, what if he got stuck looking after ALF in his adult years?

There is at least some potential there.
Billy was an adult in 2, wasn't he? Lol

I'd really like to see another Gremlins & ALF movie or series, done correctly...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 03:59 PM   #50
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Billy was an adult in 2, wasn't he? Lol

I'd really like to see another Gremlins & ALF movie or series, done correctly...
Yeah but he lived his adulthood without Gizmo until he happened to run into him again. I think. Man it's been a while. How much time passed between Gremlins 1 and 2?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #51
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Yeah but he lived his adulthood without Gizmo until he happened to run into him again. I think. Man it's been a while. How much time passed between Gremlins 1 and 2?
No idea. I read the wiki entries for both and its not mentioned. It seems to be at least a couple years though. Doesn't seem like it could be too many years though.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:00 PM   #52
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Wednesday star Jenna Ortega is looking to stay in the Tim Burton family. The actor is circling a role in Beetlejuice 2, multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Warner Bros., which is behind the feature, was not available to comment. A representative for Ortega did not respond to requests for comment.

The news comes as Ortega hits theaters with Scream VI, which could land the top opening in the franchise’s 25-plus year history.

Tim Burton, who helmed the 1988 film starring Michael Keaton, is expected to direct, with Keaton returning as well, according to sources. Production is eying a late May or early June shoot in London, but budget has not been set, resulting in a back and forth. If a deal is made, sources say Ortega would play the daughter of Lydia, the character played by Winona Ryder in the original.

Jenna Ortega Gives Notes About 'Wednesday' Sketch Pitch in 'Saturday Night Live' Promo
Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Jeffrey Jordan, Catherine O’Hara also starred in the original film, which grossed $80 million on a $15 million budget and it scored a best makeup Oscar at the 1989 Academy Awards. The sequel has gone through various iterations over the years, with multiple writers coming and going and Burton himself publicly waffling over his own involvement.

Ortega, who most recently starred in Netflix’s Wednesday, also featuring direction by Burton, has said that she used to have “consistent dreams” about Beetlejuice when she was younger. The actor began her career with roles such as Young Jane on The CW’s Jane the Virgin, followed by parts in You and Yes Day. She starred in last year’s Scream reboot and also appeared in the horror hit X.

Ahead of Wednesday’s debut, Ortega told The Hollywood Reporter of working with Burton: “It’s been quite an insane experience. I’ve been lucky enough to get the opportunity to work with an iconic director who just so happens to be one of the sweetest directors I’ve worked with, and also the most detail-oriented.”

It’s a busy weekend for Ortega, who in addition to Scream VI has Saturday Night Live hosting duties. Ortega is repped by CAA, Gilbertson Entertainment and Jackoway Austen.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...-2-1235342774/
Old 05-04-2023, 11:40 AM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Elfman is excited to return and it's expected to start shooting in a couple of months:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/elfman-...uice-2-return/
Old 05-09-2023, 03:56 PM   #54
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, holy cow. After all the years and rumors and FAKE scoops, it's really happening now. WB has announced its release date as September, 2024.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/beetlej...eptember-2024/

It'll be Burton's first movie since Dumbo.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:01 PM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's weird to me how Jenna Ortega really does look like she could be Winona Ryder's daughter. If you compare how Winona Ryder looked in 1988 and Jenna Ortega now...they look so similar.

It's funny how girls can exist decades apart for a younger generation and be like a "new version" of an older female actress.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 04:15 PM   #56
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Bettlejuice better be creeping on Jenna Ortega's character. "I keep getting older but they keep staying the same age". Or some line like that. That's who the character is. But the studio's won't have the guts to do it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 04:23 PM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I have to wonder if the only reason this got greenlit is because Wednesday was a runaway hit and Jenna Ortega became white hot overnight.
Old 05-10-2023, 04:40 AM   #58
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I have to wonder if the only reason this got greenlit is because Wednesday was a runaway hit and Jenna Ortega became white hot overnight.
Isn't Burton has something to do with Wednesday?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 01:39 PM   #59
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

More casting and a return

Quote:
Film Updates
@FilmUpdates
·
1h
Catherine O’Hara will return as Delia Deetz in ‘BEETLEJUICE 2’.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...-2-1235484497/

Quote:
DiscussingFilm
@DiscussingFilm
·
1h
Monica Bellucci has been cast as Beetlejuice’s wife in ‘BEETLEJUICE 2’.

(Source: https://hollywoodreporter.com/movies...9da6937cf0601a)
Old 05-11-2023, 01:54 PM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Hah, but no Jeffrey Jones as Charles Deetz, of course.