The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-25-2022, 09:15 PM   #341
Leo656
The Franchise

The book started to really lose some people when the Turtles started going on adventures all over the world and the book got VERY preachy about the same "The world is gonna end in ten years if we don't all recycle Right Now" stuff that we're currently being fed. It went over the heads of the little kids who just wanted straightforward action stories, and some of their parents were really upset about them being "indoctrinated" by stuff like that and all the time spent talking about other cultures and religions and whatnot.

Didn't actually bother ME so much, but there were some times where as a result of these things the book felt like it lost a bit of focus. Selfishly I couldn't wait for the Turtles to get back to NYC and start having more conventional adventures again. Later on I had a bit more patience for the stuff, but at age 7 it felt a bit "off".

Another controversial bit was when Ninjara got written in and became the fifth member of the gang for almost the entire rest of the run. There had been some to-do in the letters page about "needing a girl mutant in there" so little girls could "be represented" (little girls apparently didn't like April much since she'd typically just been a Damsel or Plot Device, which is fair criticism), so I assume that Ninjara was created to quiet some of those concerns/complaints. And *I* thought she was fine but it was very controversial all the same; statistics showed that "little girls" never really jumped onto the book ANYWAY even after Ninjara was put in there, and a ton of the boys were simply put off by having "the bad boy" Turtle they all liked so much suddenly playing kissy-face with a furry.

You'll still find a lot of hate for the book to this day, and a lot of that stuff tends to be why. Now again, for me, personally, it's my favorite TMNT comic but I have to chalk a lot of that up to the fact that I was a kid when I first read it and thus have a strong sentimental attachment to it. In a vacuum, there's a lot about it that a person can rightly say isn't great or could be better - Ninjara, herself, being Pretty Evil upon her introduction and then suddenly Not Evil Because Plot was pretty ass, and her dumping Raph in the end while making it out like she was the victim and he was wrong when she was openly c*ck-teasing another guy right in front of him for several issues in a row never sat well with me at all.

BUT, I'd argue that it ultimately had more Good than Bad, and that the Bad wasn't really all THAT bad. But it's also interesting to note that some of the very same things people complain about Right Now in TMNT comics aren't even new. Even back then there were complaints about the book losing focus, "I don't want any romance in TMNT", etc. etc. I'd argue that those complaints are more apt Right Now than Back Then, but they're definitely not brand new complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Their return story was good though. It featured Slash, an action figure accurate wild and crazy violent Slash, not the buck toothed idiot from the cartoon, and we had the Turtles actually be proactive for a change and purposely seek out the Shredder to defeat him once and for all.
Oh yeah, I won't argue. The Archie book treated the FW characters and concepts way better than the cartoon show ever did. I don't see how that's even a debate. It's just that the comic did a good job standing on its own outside of being trapped within the cartoon concepts, to the point where while it was nice they were included the book didn't exactly "need" them anymore.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:06 AM   #342
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Myself... I've always been against TMNT jambalaya. But I do have an affinity for the Archie material. And when IDW began, for a good long while it seemed like they were embracing a Mirage-level flavor and level of violence and such but while incorporating SOME things that may work from this or that spinoff thing, but in adult fashion. So that was interesting to me. And I actually find the reincarnation angle fascinating as a premise for the TMNT. But as soon as it became clear the Turtles weren't working up to actually killing and being ninjas... I kinda tuned out. And even after it seemed clear no killing was a must... suddenly tons more Fred Wolf cartoon stuff, and this and that. I saw which way the weather was moving. It was fine, but clearly not for me.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:45 PM   #343
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Doing an occasional cover is all I recall. There were those gorgeous covers from them early on.
As well as those epic Future Shark Trilogy covers.
And to this day the 1492 cover still has a special place in my heart.
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:21 PM   #344
ShaneHero
Mouser

What’s the best way for me to pay for copies of the Forever War books at this stage?
I’ve tried to email Arseniy a few times, but haven’t heard back. I’m guessing he is understandably busy with other things.
I’m really excited for this project so I just want to make sure I can pay for it and get some copies!
ShaneHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:24 PM   #345
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneHero View Post
What’s the best way for me to pay for copies of the Forever War books at this stage?
You don't. There isn't any way to send money to Russia right now. But hang tight. This won't last forever.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-05-2022 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-05-2022, 11:38 AM   #346
Topsu
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This won't last forever.
Unless it's Forever war.
Topsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:53 AM   #347
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsu View Post
Unless it's Forever war.
I feel like there are two different things that the universe conspires against to prevent them from existing in full: Spring football leagues in the USA and the publication of the Forever War. Every time significant progress gets made to establishing/re-establishing them, something incredible happens to impede the progress and potentially sap away its momentum.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 04-05-2022 at 12:44 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:16 AM   #348
Rhio2k
Random Punk

Been busy with life stuff, has issue 5 dropped yet?
Rhio2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #349
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhio2k View Post
Been busy with life stuff, has issue 5 dropped yet?
Issue 5??? What about the first 4 issues?????

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:10 PM   #350
rs_jr
Random Punk

Andrew - is it still possible to pick these issues up?
Thanks

Last edited by rs_jr; 06-27-2022 at 10:30 PM.
rs_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:12 PM   #351
Demon-Alukard
Hench Mutant

Hey, guys! Here is the current status for all TMNT projects:

The Forever War -- pencils are done by Chris Allan, the whole story is lettered. Inks in progress, for now done two parts of five. Coloring also in work. Also there will be two backup story - one from Jim Lawson (as soon as he'll finish artwork for Andrew Modeen's 'The Shredder'). Another one by Chris. Aaaaaand maybe... another one by Ken Mitchroney!

Also I'm working on the inks for 'The Shredder'. It's coming as fast as I can and I hope to see both books in this year.

TMNT: The Origin Ultimate edition is almost ready for the printer. Some pages need to be colored. As well as Italian Las Tortugas Ninja Book 2 -- it's completed and ready for print.

Some worldwide situation makes problems for payments/shipping, but I'll figure out something by the time when the books will be done. Sorry if I'm not respond on your messages for a while -- I see them all and will answer for sure.

P.S. Here is a little sneak peak from the last chapter.

Demon-Alukard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:32 PM   #352
teacher fan
Random Punk

Really looking forward to seeing this project. I ordered my copy via Paypal back in late 2019, but I know the wait will be worth it. Loved how TMNT Odyssey wrapped up the Mirage universe, so I'm interested to see how this final curtain call to the Archie universe goes.
teacher fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:55 AM   #353
member_removed
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Alukard View Post
Hey, guys! Here is the current status for all TMNT projects:

The Forever War -- pencils are done by Chris Allan, the whole story is lettered. Inks in progress, for now done two parts of five. Coloring also in work. Also there will be two backup story - one from Jim Lawson (as soon as he'll finish artwork for Andrew Modeen's 'The Shredder'). Another one by Chris. Aaaaaand maybe... another one by Ken Mitchroney!

Also I'm working on the inks for 'The Shredder'. It's coming as fast as I can and I hope to see both books in this year.

TMNT: The Origin Ultimate edition is almost ready for the printer. Some pages need to be colored. As well as Italian Las Tortugas Ninja Book 2 -- it's completed and ready for print.

Some worldwide situation makes problems for payments/shipping, but I'll figure out something by the time when the books will be done. Sorry if I'm not respond on your messages for a while -- I see them all and will answer for sure.

P.S. Here is a little sneak peak from the last chapter.

http://turtlemania.ru/projects/tmnt_...fw_sneak11.jpg
Worth the wait

No, you take the ugly one!

I'll take the ugly one!

Which one's the ugly one?
member_removed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:18 AM   #354
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Aaaaaand maybe... another one by Ken Mitchroney!
I'm personally very excited about this piece.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:35 PM   #355
Topsu
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Sorry if I'm not respond on your messages for a while -- I see them all and will answer for sure.
Nice to hear, hoping for a way to get that Origin book, other stuff I've already "ordered".
Topsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 04:59 AM   #356
Rhio2k
Random Punk

Quote:
Issue 5??? What about the first 4 issues?????
Uh, I don't know how to tell you this, bro...

https://i.ibb.co/6rV1r8X/20220831-065617.jpg

You might be a little late.
Rhio2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:19 PM   #357
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhio2k View Post
Uh, I don't know how to tell you this, bro...

https://i.ibb.co/6rV1r8X/20220831-065617.jpg

You might be a little late.
WTF????? I thought this whole time was for them to finally release.... anything. Is there anyway to still get these issues???

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:52 AM   #358
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:
WTF????? I thought this whole time was for them to finally release.... anything. Is there anyway to still get these issues???
Unfortunately, unless you want to pay an egregious amount for a copy on eBay, the best advice is patience. I have full faith that we'll have access to order and receive this again someday, and at a reasonable price.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:44 AM   #359
Chris
Mad Scientist

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the ashcan editions have come out? Not even the colour issues yet.

If I recall correctly there will be a chance to order the full colour collected edition at a later point? It's been a while so I might be remembering wrong.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:39 PM   #360
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the ashcan editions have come out? Not even the colour issues yet.

If I recall correctly there will be a chance to order the full colour collected edition at a later point? It's been a while so I might be remembering wrong.
Yes, only ashcans 1-4 have circulated, so far as I know.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forever war, never say never