The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-07-2022, 03:04 PM   #1
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

What if Tristan Jones' "Gang Wars" had been given it's own monthly series?

Would Mirage sales have been better if "Gang Wars" was given it's own monthly/bi-monthly series instead of being buried under Tales Vol. 2?

I loved Tales Vol. 2, but "Gang Wars" was a game changer! And I can't help but wonder how well sales could've been if it was introduced as #1 of a new series instead of Tales of the TMNT #36

At the time, do you think that would have been enough to get people interested in Turtles again?

Last edited by Monty Mole; 08-07-2022 at 03:16 PM.
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:43 PM   #2
Galactus
Foot Elite

I don't think there was anything that was going to significantly move the needle for Mirage published TMNT book in 2007. Fans loved Tristan's issues and it even got a lot of critics interested but it didn't overcome the hurdle Tales faced from the beginning; it was so widely inconsistent. Say you're a random comic reader and pick up a copy of Tales and really love the story and creative team and can't wait for the next installment, you pick up the next issue and it's a vastly different creative telling a random story. The follow up to the story you loved comes five to six months down the line...if it happens at all. A lot of people hyped #39 To Protect And Serve but then we only Tristan and Paul back for #50 and several issues after that for a direct followup to that story.

There's nothing wrong with having an anthology series but from the beginning it should have been story arcs - say three issues of Murphy writing a story followed by three issues Berger doing a story followed by Lawson etc. It should have also had some internal continuity, not ultra tight but no contradicting previous stories or jumping from different time periods.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:46 PM   #3
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

That makes a lot of sense. Well said!
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #4
Sharman
Foot Soldier

I have to concur.
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 02:09 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It would've needed a big marketing push from Mirage and be in color for it to have had a chance. Like with Paul Harmon on the art, consistently? It'd have a pretty good shot. Pushed out as like a new beginning, it'd probably do at least as well as IDW did.

Of course, Peter wasn't interested in any of those things, or taking more than negligible risks while keeping costs at bare minimum. Also, and I don't know this for a fact, but I also wonder if the prospect of really letting a new TMNT book shine -- like, with a Tristan Jones/Paul Harmon "Gang Wars" series -- was not one he was too keen for because it might make people even less interested in his Vol. 4 (or at least make it less talked about), while he was still doing it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:46 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

I get the feeling this "story" wouldn't be able to go on past 10 or so issues. A mini-series is fine, it didn't need more than that.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:01 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I get the feeling this "story" wouldn't be able to go on past 10 or so issues.
As it was, yeah. Tristan only had like 3 or 4 issues left to "tell" and I have some idea of what was going to happen there. It was going to have a very definitive ending. But had he been given the greenlight to make it all an ongoing series, could/would he suddenly pull another 30+ issues out of the ether? Of course.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote