The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #181
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quick review...
Spoiler:
I liked it, but it's a far cry from the better Spider-Man films in my opinion. Current ranking is...

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Spider-Man 3
Spider-Man Far From Home
Amazing Spider-Man 2
Amazing Spider-Man

The Good:
Mysterio was an interesting take. I liked how his personality mirrored Tony Stark's, especially in the tech-heavy scenes. Jake's performance was great as expected.

Tom Holland is still a likeable lead that carries a lot of heart into his scenes. If they're indeed setting Spidey up to be the main guy moving forward, I'm excited to see Tom's journey with how he handles Peter.

Honestly, the whole cast was really top notch. Alot of the comedic writing didn't work for me, but the cast still carries a fun likeable energy. Great chemistry throughout.

J Jonah Jameson.

And just the overall sense of weight of the events of Infinity War/End Game. The whole world is still dealing with the fallout, and it's nice to see the universe change and evolve with it's characters.

The Bad:
Really not a fan of Peter wanting so take a break from Spider-Man so he can mack on MJ. I get that Peter hits these arcs in the comics but it comes off especially petty following End Game. I was hoping it would be revealed that Peter is secretly harbouring either survivor's guilt or some sort of PTSD, and that wanting to spend time with MJ was just a facade to hide his insecurities. But nope - Peter just wants some MJ. Iron Man just died saving the world and passing the torch to you, and the first thing you do is take a break because you wanna chase tail. C'mon, Pete.

Also not a fan of MJ (and later, the world) finding out about Peter's identity. I'm not sure why the secret identity aspect has been so downplayed in superheroes recent years but I really miss it. Peter's not even out of high school and his best friend, his aunt, and his girlfriend all know his identity. Alot of fun, antic-y stuff is lost before it even had a chance.

And I'll say it again; most of the comedy didn't land for me -- and there was alooooot of comedy.

J Jonah Jameson. Look, I get it. When you strike gold like that the first time, it's tempting (and easy) to just do it again. It's the safe move. And while it put a giant grin on my face ... I can't help but feel like it's also a missed opportunity to see someone else see what they can do with it.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #182
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I will say this Krutch, you summed up my own thoughts on the film pretty well as far as the good and bad.
Spoiler:
Also, where did the sudden interest in Michelle come from? I understand developing a romantic feeling to someone that was in your life for some time, but there was no build outside the " this Mary Jane's stand-in" clear understanding.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #183
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Yes - that was a big issue for me, too!

Spoiler:
I figured they were taking a Lois in Smallville approach to MJ - introduce her as a snarky foil to Peter's life early, slowly develop them into a real friendship, and watch that friendship evolve into romance... But, alas, this isn't anything close to the MJ I'm familiar with, so I guess all bets are off.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #184
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Not really spoiler...One thing I wonder is if something like in Cast Away where Chuck's fiancee assumed him dead and married and had a child with their dentist. How many after the snap would have a situation like that? I know one of the two science teachers had a comedic effect non-death of the spouse.but it made me think. Though the older sibling now the younger sibling is a sci-fi oddity that was mentioned.

Also, what did you like about Into The Spider-verse? I paid no mind to it. I am a Peter Parker fan, who prefers the 94'-'98 cartoon, Raimi films, and first thirty 31 years of comics and it did not seem to cater to any of that preference.

Spoiler:
I don't see similarities to Mary Jane either. Mary Jane was a live every moment to the fullest PG party girl with a layered past, if you get what I mean. Michelle is a gothic girl who likes the truth and poetry(sorry, that is all I got).

I was thinking Ned might end up dead or injured since he did die in Europe in Spider-Man vs Wolverine where Peter finally has the light bulb go off that its not the next best choice or impulsive decision,but he loves MJ more than anything. The summer romance with Betty played to comedic effect was a wink at the comics.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 07-05-2019 at 01:44 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #185
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Also, what did you like about Into The Spider-verse? I paid no mind to it. I am a Peter Parker fan, who prefers the 94'-'98 cartoon, Raimi films, and first thirty 31 years of comics and it did not seem to cater to any of that preference.
Oh, man, I could go on and on about what I liked about it. It's the only movie I've ever seen six times in theatres during it's release. And considering I match all the same preferences you listed, I'm surprised it didn't strike a chord with you, too.

I suppose part of it was having zero expectations; I saw the Superbowl teaser a year earlier, once, and never gave the movie a second look until I saw it opening night. I also went into it before word of mouth or checking out reviews, so it really was a blank slate. Add in the fact it came from Sony, the guys who just put out Venom and made the Emoji movie, I guess you could say the stage was set for surpassing expectations.

But the movie itself, to quote a review I wrote earlier - such a fresh, unique experience that speaks to what it means to be a superhero and serves to inspire us to be the best version of ourselves. Not only did it manage to be a movie celebrating why Spider-Man is such an important character in pop culture, but why superheroes in general are important. Tightly written story, every character is used just the right amount, innovative art style... just so much to love.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #186
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Oh, man, I could go on and on about what I liked about it. It's the only movie I've ever seen six times in theatres during it's release. And considering I match all the same preferences you listed, I'm surprised it didn't strike a chord with you, too.

I suppose part of it was having zero expectations; I saw the Superbowl teaser a year earlier, once, and never gave the movie a second look until I saw it opening night. I also went into it before word of mouth or checking out reviews, so it really was a blank slate. Add in the fact it came from Sony, the guys who just put out Venom and made the Emoji movie, I guess you could say the stage was set for surpassing expectations.

But the movie itself, to quote a review I wrote earlier - such a fresh, unique experience that speaks to what it means to be a superhero and serves to inspire us to be the best version of ourselves. Not only did it manage to be a movie celebrating why Spider-Man is such an important character in pop culture, but why superheroes in general are important. Tightly written story, every character is used just the right amount, innovative art style... just so much to love.
I saw they toyed with having Tobey voice Peter but then changed their minds. I would have gone for that. Also, wasn't the focus more on Miles than Peter? Not Ben, not Miles,but Peter alone is Spider-Man to me. That is what turned me off of the film. I did not bother with it because it did not mirror our shared preferences.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:52 AM   #187
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I love Peter as much as anyone, but if I have to be frank, his story is done, or is at least on an indefinite pause.

ASM is more entertaining than it's been in years, and I'm glad Peter's with MJ again, that Felicia's redeemed and Jonah knows, but it's still a phony continuity created by a devil deal and I'll always have trouble adjusting to that. It's like the original story ended and all we have is some post-script fantasy playpen for the writers to keep Peter encased in amber from now until the heat death of the industry. If Marvel undoes OMD outright, they are convinced this will give Peter the ultimate happy ending and they cannot allow that. Peter's story is done, but that doesn't mean they should stop recycling his greatest hits (Hunted=KLH, and the mystery of Kindred=the new take on the Hobgoblin mystery) for new audiences.

I've always been a fan of Peter going forward, and for the most part this decade, he's managed that in a couple of separate continuities (MC2, Renew Your Vows, Newspaper Strip), There's not much else you can do with him now that will feel very fresh, all 616 Peter needs to do now is catch up to what RYV and MC2 Peter have done and that, unfortunately, will take all of our lifetimes.

So while I'm not that invested in Miles or Gwen, I can understand why Marvel wants people to read about other characters in the costume. Unfortunately for them, no matter how many accolades Spider-Verse receives, how many Spider-Gwen cosplayers they are, how prominent they are in the cartoons, it doesn't translate well to comic sales
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #188
Xav
Foot Elite

Spoiler:
One thing I don't understand about the ending is how did Mysterio die? It seemed like he was shot by one of his drones but that was an illusion. Than the real Beck appears tries to shot Peter and he just grabs his arm and he falls over and dies? Also when did he have time to film his "Spider-Man is Peter Parker" video? And I'm assuming the video was sent to the Daily Bugle by Beck's tech guy William. But why would he want to make Beck out to be a hero when he threaten to shot him? And why would he want to make Spider-Man out to be a villain and expose his real identity. Was he just mad he destroyed his drones?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:27 PM   #189
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Apparently this movie needs to make 1 billion (it will) or creative control reverts back to Sony? That was a part of the original deal, somehow?

http://www.darkhorizons.com/new-spid...ver-a-billion/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #190
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Spoiler:
One thing I don't understand about the ending is how did Mysterio die? It seemed like he was shot by one of his drones but that was an illusion. Than the real Beck appears tries to shot Peter and he just grabs his arm and he falls over and dies? Also when did he have time to film his "Spider-Man is Peter Parker" video? And I'm assuming the video was sent to the Daily Bugle by Beck's tech guy William. But why would he want to make Beck out to be a hero when he threaten to shot him? And why would he want to make Spider-Man out to be a villain and expose his real identity. Was he just mad he destroyed his drones?
Possibly payback to Stark's legacy and he who would have been next in line. If I'm going down I'll make his life a living hell kinda thing.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #191
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I had no idea about this, but I just looked at Fandango for movie times this weekend and it shows "Spider-Man: Far From Home Extended Cut" hitting this weekend and with a different poster.

I wonder what's new?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:21 PM   #192
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I had no idea about this, but I just looked at Fandango for movie times this weekend and it shows "Spider-Man: Far From Home Extended Cut" hitting this weekend and with a different poster.

I wonder what's new?
They edited in that action scene, with the iron spider suit, from the trailers.

It will appear on the home release, but as a separate "short story".
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubedmilfhunter, far from sjws, make it stop, marvel's crapshoot ideas, spider-cuck, spider-man