The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #41
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,243
My first memory of TMNT was watching a repeat of the FW episode The Incredible Shrinking Turtles back in 1989 on Going Live I think. I don't think it was Return of the Shredder. Was a fan ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Despite my favourite version being the 80s cartoon, it was actually the 2003 cartoon and 2007 movie that served as my introduction to tmnt during the time that the movie was out in theatres.
Can I ask considering your contemporary series was the 2003 one what made you go for a more outdated series as your favourite?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #42
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 3,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
My first memory of TMNT was watching a repeat of the FW episode The Incredible Shrinking Turtles back in 1989 on Going Live I think. I don't think it was Return of the Shredder. Was a fan ever since.
A pretty good episode, the turtles vs Shredder fight was just fantastic while the Splinter vs Shredder fight in the cheese factory was a lot of fun as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Can I ask considering your contemporary series was the 2003 one what made you go for a more outdated series as your favourite?
It comes down to a multitude of factors, but the most key reasons I can think of are:

1. I grew up watching many of the serious cartoons in the mid 2000s such as Teen Titans, Tmnt 2003, Justice League etc. So when my interest in tmnt was revitalized during the Nick era, and I checked out the FW cartoon, I found it to break every cliche that I had to come expect from watching those serious mid-2000s toons, and that honestly made me enjoy the cartoon all the more (such as having the villains be so funny and likeable while still being threatening).

2. All the more, the cartoon managed to stay so funny most of the time without going into gag territory, which I really admire. It can be admittedly hard to nail the balance of creating a grounded world with rules, while keeping a show really fun, and that is something that the FW toon nails perfectly (aside from fourth wall gag breaks, which despite being really funny, are the one part of the FW toon that require a serious suspension of disbelief, even compared to everything else the show had to offer).

3. Many things about the FW toon just stuck out to me alot more than the 2k3 one. The colours are much more abundant in the FW toon rather than being a world of dark and dul colours like the 2k3 one (a lot of the time), the music is much more booming in the FW toon, the voice performances are much more memorable, the concepts of the 80s toon (such as the technodrome, the rock soldiers and Krang), stayed in my head longer than any of the concepts that I first discovered through the 2k3 toon.

4. The 80s-90s aesthetics, such as the dated animation, the outdated slang and catchphrases, all just served to make the cartoon more memorable and "retro", that would make me feel nostalgic for it, despite not having grown up with it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors.
What they could do without being held back is my question.
Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building.
I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.
Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #43
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post

1. I grew up watching many of the serious cartoons in the mid 2000s such as Teen Titans, Tmnt 2003, Justice League etc. So when my interest in tmnt was revitalized during the Nick era, and I checked out the FW cartoon, I found it to break every cliche that I had to come expect from watching those serious mid-2000s toons, and that honestly made me enjoy the cartoon all the more (such as having the villains be so funny and likeable while still being threatening).

2. All the more, the cartoon managed to stay so funny most of the time without going into gag territory, which I really admire. It can be admittedly hard to nail the balance of creating a grounded world with rules, while keeping a show really fun, and that is something that the FW toon nails perfectly (aside from fourth wall gag breaks, which despite being really funny, are the one part of the FW toon that require a serious suspension of disbelief, even compared to everything else the show had to offer).

3. Many things about the FW toon just stuck out to me alot more than the 2k3 one. The colours are much more abundant in the FW toon rather than being a world of dark and dul colours like the 2k3 one (a lot of the time), the music is much more booming in the FW toon, the voice performances are much more memorable, the concepts of the 80s toon (such as the technodrome, the rock soldiers and Krang), stayed in my head longer than any of the concepts that I first discovered through the 2k3 toon.

4. The 80s-90s aesthetics, such as the dated animation, the outdated slang and catchphrases, all just served to make the cartoon more memorable and "retro", that would make me feel nostalgic for it, despite not having grown up with it.
Thanks for explaining. I guess if you were brought up on serious cartoons seeing something more sci-fi imaginative with some humour was a welcome relief. I always feel kids today are missing out on the imaginative cartoons of the 80s. I also can't talk about how dated the FW TMNT animation is as I personally like that type of animation and complain endlessly about there not being any of that today.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:07 AM   #44
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
3. Many things about the FW toon just stuck out to me alot more than the 2k3 one. The colours are much more abundant in the FW toon rather than being a world of dark and dul colours like the 2k3 one (a lot of the time), the music is much more booming in the FW toon, the voice performances are much more memorable, the concepts of the 80s toon (such as the technodrome, the rock soldiers and Krang), stayed in my head longer than any of the concepts that I first discovered through the 2k3 toon.
I think it was a strength creating concepts that many would remember for so many years. I guess even if there was no Internet, many of those concepts would still exist in many people's memories.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:49 AM   #45
Musashi
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 17
I genuinely don't remember first becoming aware of the Turtles, but it was undoubtedly through the Fred Wolf cartoon, most likely around 1988 or '89. Shown on Saturday mornings on BBC1 for a while, and then later got an afternoon slot. It was all about Bebop and Rocksteady for us kids back then - Sorry, Eastman & Laird!
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:54 AM   #46
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
I genuinely don't remember first becoming aware of the Turtles, but it was undoubtedly through the Fred Wolf cartoon, most likely around 1988 or '89. Shown on Saturday mornings on BBC1 for a while, and then later got an afternoon slot. It was all about Bebop and Rocksteady for us kids back then - Sorry, Eastman & Laird!
You must have been very dissapointed when they were so absent from the first half of season 2.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:56 AM   #47
Musashi
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
You must have been very dissapointed when they were so absent from the first half of season 2.
No idea. A long time ago now... I suspect I didn't start watching it till slightly after that point. The earliest specific episodes I remember are from season 3.

We were all disappointed that they weren't in the movie. We'd probably have loved Out of the Shadows back then.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #48
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
The earliest specific episodes I remember are from season 3.
Then it must have been 1989, or maybe they first aired in 1990 in the UK.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #49
Luke795
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 361
Watching the 1987 cartoon.
Luke795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #50
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master
 
Zulithe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 5,021
I can't remember for certain, as this would have been during the 87/88 animated launch and I was so young then that my memory isn't exactly clear how I first learned about it. But I'm pretty sure I discovered the show and the action figures around the same time as they were both deep passions of mine once I got into it. I remember being really inspired by the art on the figure cards, both on the front and back, as I loved to draw and the art was really good (and I wasn't really exposed to comic books yet, at least for another 2 or 3 years)
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #51
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I discovered the show and the action figures around the same time
The cartoon debuted in December 1987 (unless you caught reruns), the action figures in June 1988 and Archie Comics in August 1988.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #52
Sumac
Mad Scientist
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,157
I think, I've answered this question in the similar thread, but I repeat again: my Mom bought Raphael toy from the newspaper stand. I didn't know who it was, so just called this green dude "Redick", since he had letter R on its belt.

Later I met some kids with little TMNT books based on Wrestling Asteroid arc from TMNT Adventures and first TMNT movie and this way I've learnt about their real names and who they were.

And only then I've watched 80s series to complete the deal.
__________________
Now with 200,1% more poison!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #53
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Later I met some kids with little TMNT books based on Wrestling Asteroid arc from TMNT Adventures and first TMNT movie.
Do you mean these?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...nja-1826053022
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:03 PM   #54
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I think it was a strength creating concepts that many would remember for so many years. I guess even if there was no Internet, many of those concepts would still exist in many people's memories.
The concepts weren't new ones. Most were ripped from old sci-fi and horror B-movies but they modernised them in a cool way by integrating them with the 80s futurism of the show. That's why they worked so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
I genuinely don't remember first becoming aware of the Turtles, but it was undoubtedly through the Fred Wolf cartoon, most likely around 1988 or '89. Shown on Saturday mornings on BBC1 for a while, and then later got an afternoon slot. It was all about Bebop and Rocksteady for us kids back then - Sorry, Eastman & Laird!
Well it turns out I was watching repeats on Saturday morning. They started with Season 2 on weekday afternoons and then it was repeated on Saturday morning which is where I started watching. Season 3 was then shown weekdays.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:20 PM   #55
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Most were ripped from old sci-fi and horror B-movies
That didn't matter for us who didnt watch that as children.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:14 PM   #56
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
That didn't matter for us who didnt watch that as children.
No, what was old once again became new thanks to the way they handled the stories.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #57
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
No, what was old once again became new thanks to the way they handled the stories.
When I first watched Fred Wolf TMNT, I hadn't seen the 1950's and 60's B-science fiction films, Star Trek and Star Wars.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 09-06-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #58
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
When I first watched TMNT, I hadn't seen the 1950's and 60's B-science fiction films, Star Trek and Star Wars.
Those eras of films were blended with the then modern idea of futurism. Loved it all.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.