The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 04-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
aliena
Hench Mutant

Is this series worth tracking down?

I regret that I didn't watch this series as it aired. In fact, it was the idea that they had no pupils that turned me off. Now I'm regretting the fact that I didn't see it. I've seen FF, but that's it.

So, is this series worth the work to find and watch the episodes? I tried to watch them on Nick.com, but it wouldn't work on my computer.

I've seen all the sets that people on here own and that looks like a lot to buy. It's going to be a long term expensive process I think. I also see the new sets they are releasing and I'm bummed that I can't just buy the seasons complete.

Anyway, without spoiling too much, what are some good things about the show that make it worth the time and effort to see them?
aliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliena View Post
I regret that I didn't watch this series as it aired. In fact, it was the idea that they had no pupils that turned me off. Now I'm regretting the fact that I didn't see it. I've seen FF, but that's it.

So, is this series worth the work to find and watch the episodes? I tried to watch them on Nick.com, but it wouldn't work on my computer.

I've seen all the sets that people on here own and that looks like a lot to buy. It's going to be a long term expensive process I think. I also see the new sets they are releasing and I'm bummed that I can't just buy the seasons complete.

Anyway, without spoiling too much, what are some good things about the show that make it worth the time and effort to see them?
Do you like the Mirage comics? Because 4Kids is a Ninja Turtles cartoon that completely shunned the Fred Wolf cartoon and anything that came from it. All Mirage, all the time.

That'll either turn you on or make you run away screaming.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Its one of the best cartoons ever made, not just best TMNT cartoon, but one of the best cartoons of the 2000's.

I don't recommend tracking down the DVDs though, they're rare and expensive and most of them only have 3-4 episodes per disc. You can find the entire series online to watch rather easily if you look in the right places.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
Donny
Foot Soldier

One thing I love about this show is the tone. The show has a darker and more serious tone to it but still with a lot of humor. It is never as silly as especially the original toon sometimes was, and does not seem childish. It is the closets we will ever get to an animated version of the mirage comics (at least season one to four), which makes the storyline so appealing to me. It is clear how much love was put into the show since this was Peter Lairds chance to show the world what the old comics were all about, and that TMNT is more than just a simple kids show, and what his and Kevin's intentions with the turtles were back in the days. To me this is the best version of the turtles so far, and I doubt we will ever have another animated show that resembles the tone and storyline of the old comics like this one does. It is funny, action packed, touching, and sometimes a bit scary. Do yourself a favor and check out the first seasons (fast forward had a more light tone to it and was in many ways different from the episodes in season one to five).
Donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
aliena
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Do you like the Mirage comics? Because 4Kids is a Ninja Turtles cartoon that completely shunned the Fred Wolf cartoon and anything that came from it. All Mirage, all the time.

I am way more into the Mirage comics than the Fred Wolf show. I like them dark and dramatic with some moments of humor and fun too. I look forward to finding them now.
aliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
Gunstar_Red
Foot Soldier

It was my introduction to the Turtles, so I might be biased. It's a great show stand alone and the best one if compared to the other versions. I agree with Donny, the tone is what made me fall in love with it. It's heavily based on the comics and took the best elements from them. The art design took me a little time to get use to, but I later appreciated the stylized look.

The only thing that I may have a problem with it is sometimes a couple of episodes suffer kidification. It got worse especally the last two seasons.

I highly recommend getting or, at the very least, watch it.

"Surrender to the fact that life isn't fair."
Gunstar_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
yellowmario27
Foot Soldier

I was just like you at one point, I watched the first episode and got turned off right away. Didn't like their eyes, didn't like their voices. But then everyone and their mother kept telling me it was a good show.
Honestly the first few episodes are slow, but it really picks up and it's one of my favorite shows all time. I rewatch random episodes of this show more than any other show, and it never get's old. There are so many amazing episodes. While I do adore the nick version, this easily beats it no contest. Watch all of season one and you will be hooked

I like how Karai is handled in this series
April and Casey don't have a huge part, but they are in enough episodes and story lines.
There's no real romance aspect to the show, except April and Casey.
Also I felt master splinter wasn't just sitting at home all the time, he has a big part in this show. You seem him fighting alongside the turtles and saving them numerous times.

please just watch it lol I can talk about it for hours
yellowmario27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

it's amazing man

well worth it. very well written great designs. Just the best. You owe it to yourself to watch it
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #9
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post

I wouldn't say it shunned the Fred Wolf cartoon. The episode that had Usagi coming to earth, His friend Gennosuke, at one point was looking like Rocksteady, Which was a reference to Fred Wolf.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #10
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

^As well as one Utrom being named Kraang and April dressing up as a news reporter complete with yellow jumpsuit during Secret Origins.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowmario27 View Post
I was just like you at one point, I watched the first episode and got turned off right away. Didn't like their eyes, didn't like their voices. But then everyone and their mother kept telling me it was a good show.
Honestly the first few epis
Why do people keep complaining about the voices of the 4kids Turtles? They all had great voices for that series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #12
Donny
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Why do people keep complaining about the voices of the 4kids Turtles? They all had great voices for that series.
I agree. Excellent voice cast in general!
Donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #13
mrminister4446
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliena View Post

You can easily find them on youtube, the only challenge is to find the uploader with the highest quality videos.
mrminister4446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #14
yellowmario27
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I liked Leo and Donnie's voices, it's just that I guess I wasn't expecting Raph to have a think gruff brooklyn(?) accent, considering it was so different in the past cartoon.

and Mikey's voice was just...annoying, grating to the ears at first.

but i got used to it, and don't even think that anymore
yellowmario27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #15
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

hey now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I wouldn't say it shunned the Fred Wolf cartoon. The episode that had Usagi coming to earth, His friend Gennosuke, at one point was looking like Rocksteady, Which was a reference to Fred Wolf.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20091121154338

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20131122204404
Don't forget Bebop in the flying car in Fast Forward!!
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

It's really good, but collecting it physically is a real drag at this point. I was lucky, I bought each disc the day it came out and usually never saw them in stores again, and the online prices nowadays are blasphemous. I paid almost a hundred bucks for Ninja Tribunal. Like whaaaat.

What sucks about the DVDs is that even if you do track them down, the episodes are in some stupid order. Past the very earliest episodes, you practically have to sit with a chart telling you which episodes to watch in what order, sometimes having to switch discs back and forth. And that's annoying.

It's a great show, though.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #17
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Worth watching? You bet!!

Worth tracking down? No. This may very well be one of the hardest cartoons to collect, due to the rarity and sheer volume of discs.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #18
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny View Post
I agree. Excellent voice cast in general!
I agree with both of these. To me, these are my definitive voices for the turtles.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:06 PM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

Pretty good. Raph needs to lay off the smokes.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #20
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

As others have said it is hands down one of the best cartoons in recent years. debut in 03 lol.
But it is extremely Mirage based as others have said.
But the easiest way to watch this series is on online. I rewetted the first five season on youtube, but I think the channel got taken down by Nick.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4kids