The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 04-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #41
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

It's our job to help the newbies.
Who knows what they'll buy on ebay!

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #42
Leo656
The Franchise

I haven't looked in a while. Is sh*t still 2000 bucks or whatever?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:47 PM   #43
aliena
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Some of us have lost several computers to various malware and spyware and virus issues and aren't in a hurry to go through it again. Just puttin' that out there.
That is what I'm trying to avoid after having dealt with that previously as well. At least I trust youtube more than some stranger out there. This would all be a mute point if they had released them on DVD box sets...but that discussion is for another thread.
aliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #44
aliena
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
I helped guide aliena to where he could see the episodes.

Yeah, people always seem to think "if it isn't on YouTube it isn't anywhere!" when it comes to TV shows and I can't understand that mentality.
And I am eternally grateful for the guiding. Already binged a lot of season one. If only work didn't get in the way of my watching.
aliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:27 AM   #45
jenna
Mad Scientist

I would absolutely recommend the 4Kids series. It has a wonderfully moody atmosphere, but still has great humour. It has well-choreographed martial arts sequences and character development.

The white eyes bother me still as the design gives the turtles a somewhat blank expression at times, but it is very effective at others, like when they are hiding in the shadows etc.

On the whole the voices are fine, but I don't care for Raphael's voice at all. It's just too much: too gruff, too "New York" and hugely over-acted. That said, you get used to it.

Brace yourself for a sudden shift in tone after season 4, and again after season 5. I wasn't expecting Fast Forward and for me it ruined it. So be prepared for it. However, there are four seasons of great, beautifully animated, soulful storytelling to enjoy before it all goes to ****.

I would thoroughly recommend it.

Edit: oops! Somehow posted without having read page 3 of the thread. I now see that I've entered this conversation too late and you've already started watching. Oh well. Enjoy!

Last edited by jenna; 04-19-2015 at 12:34 AM.
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:55 AM   #46
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I'm watching the series right now. Sure there are a lot of flaws - like the Utrom Shredder, obnoxious Casey Jones, too much magic and aliens and space travel, etc, but there's a lot to enjoy as well tbh.

I'm on The Shredder Strikes (Part 1). *sigh* This is where Leo gets cocky and boisterous..
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #47
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliena View Post
I regret that I didn't watch this series as it aired. In fact, it was the idea that they had no pupils that turned me off. Now I'm regretting the fact that I didn't see it. I've seen FF, but that's it.

So, is this series worth the work to find and watch the episodes? I tried to watch them on Nick.com, but it wouldn't work on my computer.

I've seen all the sets that people on here own and that looks like a lot to buy. It's going to be a long term expensive process I think. I also see the new sets they are releasing and I'm bummed that I can't just buy the seasons complete.

Anyway, without spoiling too much, what are some good things about the show that make it worth the time and effort to see them?
I actually stumbled across the 2k3 show thanks to home made music videos of it on youtube, and I agree, the no pupils was a bit jarring, but I finally was able to put it aside and watch it, online. Unfortunately, I have friends and family that still can't get past the no pupils, so because of that, they will never give the show a chance.

But, to answer your question, the show leans more towards the atmosphere from the 1990 movie than it does the SOTO or the FW. It tends to have plots that go on for several episodes, with the Shredder Strikes parts 1 and 2 and The Shredder Strikes Back parts 1 and 2 as the stand out episodes (IMO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Do you like the Mirage comics? Because 4Kids is a Ninja Turtles cartoon that completely shunned the Fred Wolf cartoon and anything that came from it. All Mirage, all the time.

That'll either turn you on or make you run away screaming.
This is not true, or all of the Turtles would have had red bandanas instead of their trademark Fred Wolf coloring, and to this day, Mikey still retains his "surfer/skaterboy" persona that started with Fred Wolf. Donnie in 2k3 was more like his FW counterpart, smart, but sweet natured and welcoming to newcomers, unlike his comic book counterpart that had him mostly as a loner, with more sinister ambitions than he let on.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #48
Leo656
The Franchise

I've never liked the "no-pupils" look, but it never bugged me enough to put me off the show. I just think it makes no sense. But eh, it's just a look.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #49
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I've never liked the "no-pupils" look, but it never bugged me enough to put me off the show. I just think it makes no sense. But eh, it's just a look.
I quite like it, it's like with Batman's cowl and many other superhero masks, it's easier to take otherwise colorful/goofy looking characters seriously that way.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:06 AM   #50
Leo656
The Franchise

See, that's a perfect example of why I don't care for it. Batman's eyes are night lenses that let him see in the dark. It's not like the TMNT have that built into their masks.

I get that it's just a look, but I prefer it when there's a practical reason for it as well. I always draw them with pupils.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:02 PM   #51
dragonside
Hench Mutant

highly recommended.

I like to think of it as the first real shot at animating the original comics since it incorporated a lot of those elements and stories.

The animation is good. the fight scenes and music are well done.

at least watch it through once.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:39 AM   #52
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
See, that's a perfect example of why I don't care for it. Batman's eyes are night lenses that let him see in the dark. It's not like the TMNT have that built into their masks.

I get that it's just a look, but I prefer it when there's a practical reason for it as well. I always draw them with pupils.
But how would one explain the Flash, Green Lantern, and Wolverine?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #53
tmntpower1988
Stone Warrior

The first five seasons are great but Fast Forward and Back To The Sewer aren't that good imo. I like the no pupils look, hated the puppy dog eyes they had in Back To The Sewer. It's one of the best cartoons ever made. It's up there with Justice League/Justice League Unlimited and Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Quote:
It's really good, but collecting it physically is a real drag at this point. I was lucky, I bought each disc the day it came out and usually never saw them in stores again, and the online prices nowadays are blasphemous. I paid almost a hundred bucks for Ninja Tribunal. Like whaaaat.
I spent $200 on Season 2 Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
^As well as one Utrom being named Kraang and April dressing up as a news reporter complete with yellow jumpsuit during Secret Origins.
The Bebop look a like in Fast Forward too:

tmntpower1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #54
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
The main reason my brother never gave the show a chance was precisely that one.

"They have no pupils. Are they blind or something?!"

I think it's more his get-go excuse, though. He's one of those people who grew up with the original toon and refuses any other take on the Turtles.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #55
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
But how would one explain the Flash, Green Lantern, and Wolverine?
Green Lantern's entire costume is just a hard-light projection created by his ring.

Flash only had the white eyes when Wally had a suit specially designed by S.T.A.R. Labs to protect his body from friction and other hazards encountered at near-light speeds. I figure the eye coverings were part of the suit's protection. Eyes are pretty squishy. I liked that little detail.

Wolverine, I'll chalk up as "people draw it that way because they think it looks cool". That's my least-favorite reason for it.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:57 AM   #56
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntpower1988 View Post
The Bebop look a like in Fast Forward too:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...path-prefix=de
This Bebop looks like a grandfather to me, wonder how many grandpiglets he has?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:39 AM   #57
DVD
Mad Scientist

I like the show a lot . I've said before that I found it after it aired .
Actually it was on as I was in China. I remember seeing the figures in Carrefour and thinking they were knock offs as they were so not the Turtles that I remembered !!!
Anyway, the show . Basically it's great fun. The characters are well rounded and behave as you'd expect. The stories they are in are generally interesting and attention holding.
On Sunday I watched the HATE episode again. It's solid action adventure featuring a chase with an 18 wheeler ... Hmmmm
I think I watch these episodes more frequently than the other shows. I can easily sit through s couple of hours worth. Usually find myself ordering a pizza after an hour, and I don't know why.
Is it the best show? Don't know. The three shows are different. Each has their merits. I old though , totally recommend it if you haven't seen it .
I found this thread interesting as it follows on from a conversation I had with a friend of mine. He'd never watched it either. That said ... He IS watching it now !
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #58
tmntpower1988
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
This Bebop looks like a grandfather to me, wonder how many grandpiglets he has?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I think it's more his get-go excuse, though. He's one of those people who grew up with the original toon and refuses any other take on the Turtles.
My brother is the same he only likes the 80s show and hates the others. He seen me watching the Nick show a few times, he laughed at me and said "How can you watch that sh*t? It looks terrible". The 80s show is by far the worst of the three cartoons imo. I used to love it when I was a kid but now I can't even make it through one episode, find it absolutely boring.
tmntpower1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #59
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
The only thing I dislike about it myself is that it's more difficult to draw them and make them look expressive. Eyes are a huge part of expression, so when the pupils aren't visible, it's so easy to make a character look emotionless or flat.

The 2003 show's animators do a good job of it, though!
Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #60
nylemon

definitely!

Tags
4kids