The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 08-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #221
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I love that they are bringing in the more obscured characters that only the oldschool fans know.

I wonder if this is a character we will see popup elsewhere, I could see a character like that maybe appear in the IDW comics.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:39 PM   #222
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Is this game worth playing?
I have a hard time saying it's a game one plays. You buff up the characters in between battles, then you select your team, and watch the melee play out. You have some control over when and where your character specials can be deployed, but it's minimal and it doesn't make much difference from auto-play. My Kindle has a hard time running the game without crashing, so I don't bother with it much. But I do appreciate the art style.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:18 AM   #223
The Deadman
Foot Elite

I started playing it the other day. I got to stage 5 before the opponents started to become overpowering and now I have to upgrade my team slowly but surely every day, lol.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:22 PM   #224
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Last Friday, the game's official Discord channel announced the end of new content development, but continuing support for the game. I suppose it will be in the same boat that TMNT Legends has been in for the past few years.

Spoiler:

View my sketch work!
Old 01-17-2022, 08:28 PM   #225
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

So Alpha One is the last new character...there sounds like there should be a joke there.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:30 PM   #226
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
So Alpha One is the last new character...there sounds like there should be a joke there.
Ironic, indeed. Although I guess Mutagen Man might debut after he becomes available.

Funny thing... I got my first Apple tablet for Christmas this year, so I can finally run the game without crashing regularly (as was the case on my Kindle Fire). I guess it's about to become a "retro" hobby. I don't think I started playing Legends until around late 2018, but I'm really glad I have never spent real money on any of these "Free to Play/Pay to Win Faster" games.

View my sketch work!
Old 01-17-2022, 08:34 PM   #227
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I have an app called "Rewards" that asks me questions occasionally in return for Google Play credit....which I then use in games.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:37 PM   #228
oldmanwinters
Overlord

The ads these games run are always so funny. It's that same sort of clickbait junk you might see scrolling through Facebook. There's usually always some puzzle to solve but the demo ends in failure (maybe some dude is implied to have died because you were too slow), which I imagine is part of the strategy to make people think, "I can do that better." And I imagine the actual games are way different from the scenarios seen in the ads.

View my sketch work!
Old 01-17-2022, 08:42 PM   #229
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

So with this game essentially going into syndication was this game a bust? I enjoyed it but after I beat story mode I didn't really feel inclined to continue it.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:45 PM   #230
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
So with this game essentially going into syndication was this game a bust? I enjoyed it but after I beat story mode I didn't really feel inclined to continue it.
I have no idea how the business model is set up. How much revenue comes from selling ad-spots to questionable groups? How much comes from player in-game purchases? Are these things merely the surface layers of some deeper corporate borrowing and credit promises? Who really knows?

View my sketch work!
Old 01-17-2022, 09:59 PM   #231
sdp
-

The game must've been a failure if it's stopping, I'm guessing they make enough money to keep the game running but not to continue developing it. The thing is if they don't do new stuff the game will only become less and less popular until it's eventually shut down. Such is the fate of all mobile games, they are all the same. But they always grab you by tempting you to get a .jpg or 3d model of your favorite character by doing mindless chores for weeks or give them real money.

Still I liked the idea of the game having all these playmates characters in the OT world, heck we got Karai. Does anyone have screenshots of all the comic/story mode segments?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:04 AM   #232
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I mean... The game just isn't fun. It feels like it just plays itself and I have no idea wtf is going on half the time. It's just ... Boring.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:32 AM   #233
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I mean... The game just isn't fun. It feels like it just plays itself and I have no idea wtf is going on half the time. It's just ... Boring.
There is WAY more strategy in TMNT Legends.

I think it's dumb that Mutant Madness doesn't even allow you to dictate which characters to attack with standard melees (unless I'm just blind to it). So many fights are dependent upon KO'ing a character early, which means it makes sense to target certain opponents near the beginning of the fight. All I can see is that the game allows you position your team at the start, but then the AI will take them in whatever direction it wants, whether it makes sense or not.

As much as I enjoy the Mutant Madness artstyle, it's among the bottom-feeders of TMNT "game" history.

View my sketch work!
Old 01-18-2022, 09:13 AM   #234
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Big time. The only fun is in seeing all the characters' player models & stuff like that. Exploring the art design elements within the app itself is better than the "playing" parts. Nonetheless, a lot of love went into it, clearly!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:44 AM   #235
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Big time. The only fun is in seeing all the characters' player models & stuff like that. Exploring the art design elements within the app itself is better than the "playing" parts. Nonetheless, a lot of love went into it, clearly!
I always delight in seeing when artists connected with the game share some of their work online. I'd like to think there are a number of concepts that will never make it into the game that might get shared online eventually:

Rhys Bevan
https://www.artstation.com/rhysbevan/albums/3432017

VertexBee Studio
https://www.artstation.com/vertexbee

View my sketch work!
Old 01-18-2022, 12:23 PM   #236
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I concur about the lack of ability to select the attacker. It takes away from the fight and strategy of it all. It has potential such as Baxter holding the enemy while Michelangelo strikes and Slash does a spin attack. The playability is the problem in the game. Not being able to position your five person team where you want them and to have certain characters attack a certain character in a certain position was rather difficult. After I beat story mode I would have stayed on had it brought appealing updates, but the handicaps were never fixed like with Zak the Neutrino freezing when activating his finisher.

The thing I loved about it was the character roster. This is what I would have liked out of TMNT: Smash Up. So many characters in an officially licensed game that I would have never thought would be included!
Old 01-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #237
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The thing I loved about it was the character roster. This is what I would have liked out of TMNT: Smash Up. So many characters in an officially licensed game that I would have never thought would be included!
You. Will. Get. RABIDS!
And. You. Will. LIKE IT!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:38 PM   #238
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
You. Will. Get. RABIDS!
And. You. Will. LIKE IT!
That was the biggest letdown as far as built up expectations, Ubisoft advertised a franchise-wide pool of characters, but what do we get the 2007 TMNT film with 2003 Shredder and Fugitoid...and those darn Rabbids, does Ubisfot want TMNT fans to hate those Rabbids? I remember Dan Berger getting swamped with complaints about the roster and how Ubisoft was mis-advertising from day one. Well, Mutant Madness gave me pretty much what I wanted Smash Up to be. I just had to wait 11 years.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:18 PM   #239
sdp
-

Mobile games make a lot of money, like as much if not more money than "real" video games in consoles. So many have really large budgets, they invest in tons of in the art department because that's how they hook you. This is why so many mobile games have awesome art and characters you love both popular and obscure etc, they know how to get the obsessive people AKA whales, which are the ones that pay most of the micro transactions. They put ads for the large majority that won't spend a dime or very little but that's not their main source of revenue usually. The other large part of the budget is spent on making a game addicting, gameplay is not something the budget goes to sadly.

I agree with most Mutant Madness nailed the art style and character selection, as most mobile games usually do.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 04:43 PM   #240
Ninjinister
無問題

What's the point of a gatcha game if there's nothing new to gatcha?

Tags
mobile phone games