The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

View Poll Results: Do parents need to pay for the college of their kid(s)?
Yes, they do. 7 53.85%
No, they don't. 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #21
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I don't mean in that sense, but in the sense that a young person really wants to do something they love but the parents know the future career prospects are extremely difficult.

What would be a reasonable solution in this case?
but you'd not be letting them choose their path, they'd be stuck doing a degree in a subject they have no interest in and/or find, potentially.

Last edited by newfan; 11-24-2017 at 04:09 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:58 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I don't mean in that sense, but in the sense that a young person really wants to do something they love but the parents know the future career prospects are extremely difficult.

What would be a reasonable solution in this case?
That depends on the parent. Some parents just let their kids pick their own paths. Others want their kids to follow in their footsteps... so many families I've met where every male was a doctor or an engineer.

I think humanities and art degrees are mostly a developed country thing, though. People from poorer countries want their kids to become doctors or something. Humanities and arts are more common in Europe, USA, Japan, etc.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #23
mrmaczaps
Banned

See lots of "yes... because... kids....".

18 is an adult. If you, as an adult, choose to go to college, find a way to get there. Loans, scholarships or whatever it takes.

Also, middle and lower class families may not be able to afford to send their adult kid to college. My folks couldn't affors it, but also pushed college on me. I paid for my two years by way of insane federal loans. Didn't put that schooling to use as I didn't much care for working nights, holidays and weekends...

Other side of things that I see is all the liberal brainwasing that happens in college today... and all the drunken parties that people attend. Why pay all that money when you can sit you 18 year old in front of CNN with a box of wine or a case of Bud and they'd "learn" the same thing....

Parents don't OWE their kids a college education. Most that can, do because they want a better life for them.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:06 PM   #24
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Agree it's not really a yes or no question, just depends on the family. Though imo... if you decided to bring them into the world, in this day and age when college is pretty much a must for most and costs an absurd amount, then at least be wise enough to prepare to be able to help out to the extent that you are able, OR at the very least become knowledgeable enough and willing to put in the leg work to help them find the funding they need in order to have the best chance they can get.

Though if a parent is going to be indifferent and not attempt to help in any sense or as little as they can possibly be bothered with, then they should probably forfeit any right to be disappointed if their kid doesn't get very far in life. (And don't get too much of an ego if he or she does get far on their own.)

My parents pretty much saw community college as the best option and "good enough," because the more important part to them was the cost to them, not the education... Today I wish I could have gone to a good art school, though the cost made it out of reach and one out of state would not have even been allowed... When I was in high school I fully believed that scholarships were only for people who were better students, more talented, higher achieving, or races that needed a leg up. I wish I knew differently, but no one even gave a crap to try to help me understand it or look into that...

Not to put down the community college I went to. For what is it, it is a very decent one and a great choice for some people. It however just wasn't enough of what I really needed.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-24-2017 at 06:16 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #25
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Parents don't OWE their kids a college education. Most that can, do because they want a better life for them.
Sure, mate.

It's like all kids start with the same good financial situation and help of government to get money for their own education. And it's like parents aren't supposed to support their kids. But what do I know?

It's a cruel dog-eat-dog world, why we need to support our loved ones? Kick them out of the door and let them pick up trash for money and eat garbage. It'll certainly will make'em stronger and more mentally healthy people!! Might as well punch them few times to make them even more stronger!!
Delusions of love and care - such liberal non-sense, right?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #26
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

It really all depends on the wealth of the family and the situation.

My family and I are far from wealthy. When my sister graduated and went to college while I was in grade school, our parents helped her out. However, I am now about to be in the same position as her, only with one parent and barely any money because my mother stole it.

I already know I plan on staying in-state because the governor is doing a two-year plan beginning with 2017 or 2018 for free. Might as well get my general education done before I hopefully move out of state. That way, I have some more money from work.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Where do you guys come down on child support for college? Apparently in most/all states, if you're the non-custodial parent and the kid(s) goes to college at 18 or 19 as an adult, you have to pay added child support for that for 4 more years.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 11-24-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #28
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Where do you guys come down on child support for college? Apparently in most/all states, if you're the non-custodial parent and the kid(s) goes to college at 18 or 19 as an adult, you have to pay added child support for that.
I'm for it regardless of the custodial status, as long as the parent paying is the father and the said degree is economically viable.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #29
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
I'm for it regardless of the custodial status, as long as the parent paying is the father and the said degree is economically viable.
Why would the parent's gender matter?
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Child support for an adult doesn't seem a little bit... oxymoronic to anyone? I'm just curious.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #31
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

That does some a bit strange, that was news to me. I feel like giving a college-age child a small allowance while they're in school is a good thing to do but I don't really feel like the state should mandate it
Old 11-24-2017, 09:48 PM   #32
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Why would the parent's gender matter?
Because I believe fathers have a special responsibility to ensure financial well being of the family, regardless of how rich the mother may be.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:01 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Because I believe fathers have a special responsibility to ensure financial well being of the family, regardless of how rich the mother may be.
That... seems very backwards. So if the father has full parental custody and the mother has 0, the mother is just off the hook by your logic?
Old 11-24-2017, 10:06 PM   #34
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Yeah that just seems needlessly chauvinistic to me
Old 11-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #35
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
That... seems very backwards. So if the father has full parental custody and the mother has 0, the mother is just off the hook by your logic?
I believe parental custody should always be given to women save for extreme circumstances and that they and their children are entitled to full financial compensation by the father.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:51 PM   #36
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

Umm...no...**** that logic...

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:36 PM   #37
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Yeah, that's dumb. I've dealt with a lot of custody cases through work and applying that line of reasoning would be disastrous.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:44 AM   #38
newfan
Mad Scientist

Regarding the conflicting views on age, your 18 year old is legally an adult yes and whilst it is important that they learn independence for adult life they are still only just adults and just starting out in life. College has become less of a choice and very expensive, also those who don't go down that route can barely afford to get their own place with whatever job they get. Supporting your 18-year-old is not the same as your 40-year-old deciding they want to do a PHd and expect you to pay the bill. As a lot have pointed out, a lot of parents can't take a bill that big but helping how you can? I couldn't watch mine struggle like that and help if I was able.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:20 AM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
As a lot have pointed out, a lot of parents can't take a bill that big but helping how you can? I couldn't watch mine struggle like that and help if I was able.
But should the government force you to do so regardless?
Old 11-27-2017, 12:29 AM   #40
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
But should the government force you to do so regardless?
I seem to have misunderstood the question, I thought it was from a moral 'ought to' point of view. Are you talking generally or from the maintenance point you made previously?

So far as it being law goes, 18-year-olds are legally adults and so parents no-longer have custody of them, also college isn't mandatory. Can you make people with no money pay thousands in fees also?
That being said your 18-year-old isn't likely to be self sufficient over night so in some way or another the parent/s will still be supporting them until they are, few are just going to chuck out their child once they reach that age. As for college, though not the law to go, there is less choice these days and it would be very hard for them to go and make a start in life without help.

Last edited by newfan; 11-27-2017 at 09:45 AM.