The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Venus: The Unwanted "Child" that ruined the "marriage" of Eastman and Laird?

In his most recent "Ask PL" blog post, Peter was asked about Venus. Here is the back and forth:
Quote:
1) Venus - How did this character come into existence?"

If memory serves, some people from Playmates and Saban brought the idea of doing a "girl Turtle" to us when we were discussing doing the live-action show and the toys to go with it. Kevin was not at that meeting, which was held at Mirage's offices in Northampton, and when they brought up the idea, I immediately shot it down… figuring that given Kevin and I had ALWAYS hated the idea of a "girl Turtle" and had always rejected it when it was brought up in any context, I was on solid ground.

It was an unpleasant surprise when I learned a short while later that Kevin had changed his long-held position and wanted to let them do this "girl Turtle" character.

"Considering you don't like the character, couldn't you have veto'ed this idea if you disliked her so much?"

I won't go into all the particulars of what happened next, because I don't really feel comfortable at this time talking about it, but suffice it to say that I VERY reluctantly agreed to allow this thing to proceed.

And it turned out to be just as stupid and awful as I had imagined. Maybe more so, even.
Could this back track, be the rift that broke up the dream team of Kevin and Peter?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
In his most recent "Ask PL" blog post, Peter was asked about Venus. Here is the back and forth:

Could this back track, be the rift that broke up the dream team of Kevin and Peter?
If nothing else, it was surely the straw that broke the camel's back. Toyfair photos from around 1997 show Eastman living it up at the Playmates Next Mutation booth but Laird was no where to be seen.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Noah13
Random Punk

Quote:

I found this quite interesting and a good insight into Venus. I think it was a combination of this and other unspoken things that broke the guys up. I would like to hear Kevin's side of things

I have to say tho, the person who asked him about this on his blog is an awesome guy for doing so and most likely would comment on this thread about how awesome he is...
It was me
Old 02-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Ninjinister
無問題

Aw, poor Venus. Nobody loves you

Admin of Turtlepedia. If you have any questions or problems, let me know!

Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
Except for certain people on Deviantart, it seems...

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Roseangelo
Emperor

Peter and Kevin hadn't been seeing eye to eye for quite awhile before Venus came along.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Man, we need someone to just write a tell-all-memoir already.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Venus was a terrible idea. Next Mutation might have been better received without her.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
Foot Soldier Clang
Hench Mutant

I'm indifferent to the idea of Venus. I don't see the idea of a female turtle that strange considering the series at all.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
Panda Khan
Foot Soldier

The breasts protruding from underneath her shell is the first thing that comes to mind when I recollect Next Mutation episodes. Then again I guess that's the only way you can distinguish an anthropomorphic female turtle from a male turtle other than the voice.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:44 AM   #11
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Khan View Post
The breasts protruding from underneath her shell is the first thing that comes to mind when I recollect Next Mutation episodes. Then again I guess that's the only way you can distinguish an anthropomorphic female turtle from a male turtle other than the voice.
There tons of other ways, but breasts are the easiest (and laziest) way to do it. same goes for hair, just look at the countless female mutant turtles on deviant Art
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #12
Dovahkiin
Mouser

Why would a female turtle have breasts when their reptiles that don't care for their offspring. The female turtle's plastron will make it impossible for offspring to reach it for sustenance. The enlarged breasts of a female creature only exist to feed it's offspring. So, it looks like they just put breasts on a creature that doesn't have any or needs it because of their solitary evolution.
Dovahkiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:27 AM   #13
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
Why would a female turtle have breasts when their reptiles that don't care for their offspring. The female turtle's plastron will make it impossible for offspring to reach it for sustenance. The enlarged breasts of a female creature only exist to feed it's offspring. So, it looks like they just put breasts on a creature that doesn't have any or needs it because of their solitary evolution.
My guess it's because the mutagen makes creatures not just humanoid, but human-like.

The turtles get teeth (and lips?), pose-able thumbs and overall a body more akin to Humans or primates, and their Carapace and Plastron seems to be more move-able then the usual Turtle species have. And the upper part is often shaped like a Male Human chest. And besides appearance the mutant turtles gets human-like emotions and the ability to comprehended languages and speak like humans, and think as we do

It wouldn't be out of the question that a female turtle could get mammary glands in that context. but the plastron would be in the way, that the shell is a part of a turtle's ribcage, Boobs would be impossible, but hey. Turtle teeth.

Shell-boobs are as useless as Chain Mail bikini, but hey it looks kewlzors!
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #14
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
She has fans, don't worry.

Venus was clumsily added, I admit. She could have been better received if she followed Ninjara's route in the comics.

We all know that Most Writers Are Male. Something like eighty percent of media aimed at children have male main characters, whereas half the population is female. At best, women will often be minor characters or will not be present at all. Stories about women are for women, stories about men are for general consumption. (TV Tropes Feminist Fantasy)
Avatar Yuffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #15
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant

Quote:

Dude, I wanted to make the exact same thread yesterday but then I was thinking, no, I'm overthinking this. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of this.

It would certainly explain Laird's intense antagonistic feelings towards her.
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

Gender equality

Venus makes me feel this:

*If TMNT debuted today instead of 1984, with more gender gender equality, would two of them actually be female, and two male?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #17
Herald7
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedenfan 1982 View Post
Venus makes me feel this:

*If TMNT debuted today instead of 1984, with more gender gender equality, would two of them actually be female, and two male?
Well equality to me doesn't have to mean equal quantity. Just equal in character quality.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

It's true, it wouldn't be a boy's cartoon if there wasn't a token girl in there somewhere.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #19
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

Tmnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
It's true, it wouldn't be a boy's cartoon if there wasn't a token girl in there somewhere.
TMNT was never the same "just for boys" as so much other. TMNT had a big girl fanbase and I hate hearing TMNT as "just for boys". I know several girls who loved the show. When a group of children played TMNT in the garden, they were April and Irma.

Also, check out Archie April when Splinter trains her.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #20
Herald7
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedenfan 1982 View Post
TMNT was never the same "just for boys" as so much other. TMNT had a big girl fanbase and I hate hearing TMNT as "just for boys". I know several girls who loved the show.
Thank you!

Quote:
When a group of children played TMNT in the garden, they were April and Irma.
Of course it was a little annoying that the girls could never play the turtles. Ever heard of gender blind casting? lol

Tags
peter laird, venus de milo