The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 11-26-2017, 09:39 PM   #41
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Some people think that virtual reality is the future of gaming, but I don’t think it’ll ever really catch on.

And, unfortunately, cartridge based games seem like they’re going to be a thing of the past too.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:48 PM   #42
sdp
-

Virtual Reality isn't the future of gaming, it's the future of many industries including but not limited to gaming. Technology will continue to evolve, VR will get much better, cheaper, be wireless, and sleek just like cell phones did. We're 10 years away from that but we're getting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
The longing for eighties/nineties nostalgia/Retro-ism seems to be fading away.
Nostalgia isn't going to fade away, it's only going to change from 90s to 00's as kids age. 80s nostalgia needs to go though, I first noticed it during the "I love the 80s" VH1 shows and finally the 90s got their turn and now we have RPlayer 1, Stranger Things etc reviving 80s nostalgia again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Does anyone remember wallet chains? I used to love rocking a big wallet chain.
I never went out anywhere without m wallet chain. I was like 8 and my wallet had no money but it was protected from any thieves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I think, when people talk about "disappearing PCs" they mean in casual day-to-day use of normal humans, whose professions are not require having desktops.

Obviously, computers in general won't go anywhere. Not really why people bring this idea here.
Yes, PCs are not going to "disappear" but they'll go back to being a niche item like they were say in the late 90s, still very common and prevalent but not literally everywhere. I can see houses having only "one" computer for the kids homework or whatever like back in the day and obviously professions that use computers will have them but casual use for computers? That's already dying. That'll be a few years though.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:27 PM   #43
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Some people think that virtual reality is the future of gaming, but I don’t think it’ll ever really catch on.

And, unfortunately, cartridge based games seem like they’re going to be a thing of the past too.
Virtual Reality most likely will be future, just don't now.

As for carts, well it depends what do you understand as cart based games. Switch, I think uses games on "carts", which is not like old NES carts, but still close enough.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:43 AM   #44
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I don't think the latter two things have been "trends" at all. At least I've never seen them for myself.
Trust me. They were everywhere.

Quote:
But 3D printing isn't going anywhere. It's not just a fad that people are doing for fun, it's a game-changer in technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
In fact one could argue that 3d printing is starting to get in style
I don't know. I don't think it's going to last.

3D printing may be popular now, but I don't really see it as a "game-changing" piece of hardware/technology. At most, people are going to use it to print casual, inanimate objects.

That doesn't really scream "innovative" or "futuristic".
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:52 AM   #45
sdp
-

3D printing is definitely a game changer, you're crazy to think otherwise. The tech will continue to evolve, as it is now it's uses are limited but still impressive which include medical ones.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:03 AM   #46
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It's already been a huge game-changer for engineering as a whole, in all the fields within it.

We're at a point now where it's coming out of the lab and into the household. Where it will be doing a lot more than making inanimate objects for fun.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 11-27-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:14 AM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord

I still have no idea what 3D printing actually is. You can really make any object you want out of it?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:44 AM   #48
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I still have no idea what 3D printing actually is. You can really make any object you want out of it?
Pretty much. Look it up.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's less "printing" and more... elaborate motor-powered thingy goes around pouring stuff in a pre-programmed pattern.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #50
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Yeah, but I guess "3D printer" is easier to say than "three-dimensional pre-programmed pattern plastic applicator"
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #51
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
In fact one could argue that 3d printing is starting to get in style
Quote:
Trust me. They were everywhere.

I don't know. I don't think it's going to last.

3D printing may be popular now, but I don't really see it as a "game-changing" piece of hardware/technology. At most, people are going to use it to print casual, inanimate objects.

That doesn't really scream "innovative" or "futuristic".
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
3D printing is definitely a game changer, you're crazy to think otherwise. The tech will continue to evolve, as it is now it's uses are limited but still impressive which include medical ones.
I have to agree with sdp and PApagreg. 3D printing is opening the dawn of new bioengineering applications, where there are hopes to building biological tissue.

Quote:
Bioprinting is an emerging technology for fabricating artificial tissue and organ constructs. Extensive research is being conducted in bioprinting and its potential as a future source for organ transplants. It is, however, much simpler to print in plastic than living cells.

“Unlike traditional 3D printing of plastics and metal where after you finish printing you have your part, with bioprinting it’s just the beginning. Even after you finish printing there is a long road ahead. You have to incubate the part, simulate its environment – it’s much more complicated,” says Prof. Lipson.

Although organ printing is still in early stage of development, San Diego-based biotech firm Organovo has been using bioprinting to create 3D printed tissues for preclinical drug discovery testing and will begin selling its 3D printed human liver models this year.

“The human liver tissue that we just released could be used for toxicology testing, metabolic testing, and drug-drug interactions,” says Michael Renard, executive vice president of commercial operations at Organovo. “Besides being a functional tissue in shape and size, one of the characteristic is that the tissue lasts for a number of days and weeks. It affords the ability for drug scientists to do longer duration tests,” he adds.

In addition to drug discovery testing, says Renard, “We also have a group that’s beginning to work with tissue designs that could be valuable in the clinic as a therapy to be delivered to patients for a specific unmet medical need.” According to him, “The goal is to continue to advance tissues of higher complexity and closer to the kind of tissues and organs that we see fully formed in people.”

Ibrahim T. Ozbolat, assistant professor at the University of Iowa’s Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Department also has been using a 3D printer to print living structures with bio-ink (watch video). The goal is to eventually print a working organ that can be transplanted into a human.

A 3D printed ear, heart valve, and kidney are other organs researchers are currently working on but it’s hard to match the complexities of real-life human organs. The next stage of innovation in bioprinting, says Lipson, will be in multiple heterogeneous tissue to get closer to printing an actual organ. “There are a couple of ideas that have been demonstrated related to vascularity that are promising. The question is how big of a tissue can you keep alive using these approaches and that’s yet to be demonstrated,” he adds.
https://www.asme.org/engineering-top...-in-biomedical

Quote:
Medical applications for 3D printing are expanding rapidly and are expected to revolutionize health care.1 Medical uses for 3D printing, both actual and potential, can be organized into several broad categories, including: tissue and organ fabrication; creation of customized prosthetics, implants, and anatomical models; and pharmaceutical research regarding drug dosage forms, delivery, and discovery.2 The application of 3D printing in medicine can provide many benefits, including: the customization and personalization of medical products, drugs, and equipment; cost-effectiveness; increased productivity; the democratization of design and manufacturing; and enhanced collaboration.1,3–6 However, it should be cautioned that despite recent significant and exciting medical advances involving 3D printing, notable scientific and regulatory challenges remain and the most transformative applications for this technology will need time to evolve.3–5,7
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4189697/

Quote:
Now that 3-D printing has made it easier to generate custom-made prosthetics, bioengineers are looking ahead at manufacturing actual cellular material. Such technology could be the basis for personalized biomedical devices; tissue-engineered skin, cartilage, and bone; or even working bladders. In new work, researchers review and consider the progress made in 3-D bioprinting and what might be possible in the decades -- or years -- ahead.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0811142640.htm
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #52
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
What are some things, you reckon? Here is one, I'd wager that history would be on my side with:

http://www2.pvc.maricopa.edu/puma/no...bpGiC9PXUT.jpg
Definitely. Those things are the labret piercing of the 2000s.

Basically anything that is in style is going to meet a rebellion one day. Kids are going to look at ear tunnels, undercuts, and tattoo sleeves as markers of an aging generation who they will probably find excruciatingly uncool.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:36 AM   #53
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
I have to agree with sdp and PApagreg. 3D printing is opening the dawn of new bioengineering applications, where there are hopes to building biological tissue.

... and that's excellent!

However, what other technological breakthroughs/advancements will 3D printers bring and/or create?

As of now, I'm not sure.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #54
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
and tattoo sleeves
Are those going to go out of style? I don't have sleeves myself, but they appear to have been stylish even since the 80s and show no sign of going out.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #55
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Are those going to go out of style? I don't have sleeves myself, but they appear to have been stylish even since the 80s and show no sign of going out.
I doubt they will; tattoo culture has existed in some form for thousands of years. Their popularity in societies as a whole may wax and wane but they ain't going anywhere.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #56
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Yeah just the style of tattoos that go away. Barbed Wire, Chinese Writing, Lower Back. But tattoos in general keep growing in popularity.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Yeah just the style of tattoos that go away. Barbed Wire, Chinese Writing, Lower Back. But tattoos in general keep growing in popularity.
Yeah, barbed wire was a big thing for a minute. Bullsh** meaningless tribal tattoos were everywhere, too.

I don't like that the lower back tattoo went out of style. It suddenly became very popular to hate on it, call it a "tramp stamp," and that was that. Why?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #58
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yeah, barbed wire was a big thing for a minute. Bullsh** meaningless tribal tattoos were everywhere, too.

I don't like that the lower back tattoo went out of style. It suddenly became very popular to hate on it, call it a "tramp stamp," and that was that. Why?
Weird/interesting how things get targeted for hate. I actually thought barbwire was cool lol. Almost got one but didn’t. Glad I didn’t because I think I would regret that choice. I do have other tattoos but nothing super trendy.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:09 PM   #59
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I doubt they will; tattoo culture has existed in some form for thousands of years. Their popularity in societies as a whole may wax and wane but they ain't going anywhere.
Polka music aint going anywhere either, but that doesn't make it cool. I wasn't talking about tattoos in general - you have to admit that styles of tattoo go in and out of fashion like everything else.

Sleeves may have been around in the 80s, but no way were they fashionable. They are now, to the point that you see them everyday. You see them in hospitality, offices, on big-time celebrities, and athletes. If young people want to look different than their sleeved moms and dads, they can either go even more extreme and tattoo every square inch of themselves, or dial it way back. Either way, I don't think it will be fashionable forever.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:44 AM   #60
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
[/SPOILER]

... and that's excellent!

However, what other technological breakthroughs/advancements will 3D printers bring and/or create?

As of now, I'm not sure.

NASA already uses it to fabricate tools and parts quickly. aboard the ISS without the need to expend expensive fuel and other eesourses to send them up.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote