The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #2221
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
This is an entirely personal question! As much of a story as you see fit! In terms of pitching to a publisher, I'd say formatting it for a mini-series, (4-6 issues) with potential for more to follow if the first is successful is a good way to go. Warning bells always go off when new writers say that the series has to be 10 to 12 or more issues. That's too much of a commitment for an unproven series. But if you frame it like a four issue series, with potential for two more four issue series, that's much more agreeable.
the way I approach it is like a TV Series. since I find most comics so convoluted anyway, it tends to be simpler to have stand alone stories. If you don't like one, you can skip it and head onto the next one. that being said, even mine will end on a 4 parter if it ever got that far to issue 24 for the 'season finale' ;o).
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #2222
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
But if you frame it like a four issue series, with potential for two more four issue series, that's much more agreeable.
If IDW committed to this four issue series. What would the payment range be? I know different things may factor into the sum so that's why I asked for a range.

How is financial compensation distributed among all the talent that contribute to making a comic book? What are some ranges?

I hope money is not a weird subject to bring up. I am very curious about the business.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #2223
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

No problem to discuss. We very rarely pay rates on creator owned, you'd have to be a major name in the industry with a proven track record and fan base.

The normal deal is a cut of the profits after expenses. (What the exact percentage is varies from project to project.) That's what my creator owned was. It took two years for me to recoop the money I paid to the artist. I think i've probably made about $800 profit on the book.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #2224
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

What is the page rate stuff I hear about? Does IDW do that? Is it for artist only or do writers have a page rate?
Old 10-12-2017, 08:49 PM   #2225
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Well, creatives are paid page rates on work for hire... like the creative team on TMNT gets a certain amount of money per page of work they do.

In terms of creator owned projects, sometimes page rates are included, but not always. Sometimes a page rate is introduced after a series is successful, in addition to the cut of the back end. It depends on the publisher and the type of deal that is reached between said publisher and the creative team. Generally speaking, every deal is different.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #2226
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

makes sense thanks for the info
Old 10-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #2227
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Hey Bobby, any chance of the turtles traveling outside of NYC for a long period of time, maybe traveling the world, like in Archie?

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #2228
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

There's a possibility, yes. It's actually something we've discussed recently, though I don't the road to 100 is going to allow time for it. Some things are still in works though, so maybe!
Old 10-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #2229
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
There's a possibility, yes. It's actually something we've discussed recently, though I don't the road to 100 is going to allow time for it. Some things are still in works though, so maybe!
Just having fun here, but if it were completely up to you and you had to make your picks right now, where in the world would you like to take the Turtles in a story like that? Me, I think I'd go with Brazil, France, Egypt, Japan and Australia for a nice blend of cultures and potentially fun environments to explore.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #2230
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Mongolia might have to be a big one too. With Pepperoni in tow of course. Maybe a few of the Utroms stationed there during the dinosaur era. "Oh hey, I wondered where that bit of machinery went."
Old 10-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #2231
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Just having fun here, but if it were completely up to you and you had to make your picks right now, where in the world would you like to take the Turtles in a story like that? Me, I think I'd go with Brazil, France, Egypt, Japan and Australia for a nice blend of cultures and potentially fun environments to explore.
I went to Iceland earlier in the year, so I think it'd be fun for them to go there. Or hawaii. I dunno, something about the Turtles chilling in a picturesque island is appealing to me. Part of me just wants the Turtles to have a nice mellow vacation. They deserve it!
Old 10-13-2017, 06:36 PM   #2232
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I went to Iceland earlier in the year, so I think it'd be fun for them to go there. Or hawaii. I dunno, something about the Turtles chilling in a picturesque island is appealing to me. Part of me just wants the Turtles to have a nice mellow vacation. They deserve it!

Reads like a small arc starting in TMNT# 101 by Bobby Curnow to me.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:26 PM   #2233
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
They're not strangers to Portugal with them all coming here in the Fred Wolf show or Leo on the Prequel comics to the 2007 CGI movie, we're the big thing latelly with Madonna, Fasbender and a few others moving here
Old 10-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #2234
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
They're not strangers to Portugal with them all coming here in the Fred Wolf show or Leo on the Prequel comics to the 2007 CGI movie, we're the big thing latelly with Madonna, Fasbender and a few others moving here
They did?! I gotta track down that episode and watch it just to see how accurate it was!

Portugal is somehow always incredibly misrepresented in American media (the recent portrayal in the MacGyver reboot comes to mind... ugh) but that could change in the near future, partly due to the very reasons you brought up!

According to urban legends, Splinter at least (or the Rat King!) should feel right at home in the tunnels beneath the Mafra Palace...
Old 10-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #2235
ChosenOne
Banned

So I went on Wikipedia to look for that Portugal episode (7x06 Ring of Fire), and I saw "Lisbon" followed shortly after by "the annual running of the bulls"... Yeah. No. Sorry. The misrepresentation curse continues.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #2236
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
So I went on Wikipedia to look for that Portugal episode (7x06 Ring of Fire), and I saw "Lisbon" followed shortly after by "the annual running of the bulls"... Yeah. No. Sorry. The misrepresentation curse continues.
But.. Portugal does have running of the bull festivals. The town of Moitia, just 20 miles south of Lisbon, is known to have a running of the bulls festival.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:07 PM   #2237
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yeah that's the one, and yes, they did somethings really badly, for example the city of Lisbon looks more like some spanish city or something like that, and the running of the bulls does indeed look out of place in the city, but the Bull arena in Campo Pequeno looks spot on, and there's the beach in Estoril and April's fun pronunciation of it. All in all it's a really weak episode but it's still awesome non the less that they came here at least once
Old 10-14-2017, 05:50 AM   #2238
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
But.. Portugal does have running of the bull festivals. The town of Moitia, just 20 miles south of Lisbon, is known to have a running of the bulls festival.
It does, but it's only one out of two or three total places in the country that do it, and they're all fairly backwards backwater towns. Not to mention the vast majority of people in the country loathe that "tradition" more and more due to animal as well as human casualties, so it's hardly an accurate representation of Portugal. We're nothing like Spain in that regard. They're the granddaddies of that practice and the ones keeping it alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
Yeah that's the one, and yes, they did somethings really badly, for example the city of Lisbon looks more like some spanish city or something like that, and the running of the bulls does indeed look out of place in the city, but the Bull arena in Campo Pequeno looks spot on, and there's the beach in Estoril and April's fun pronunciation of it. All in all it's a really weak episode but it's still awesome non the less that they came here at least once
Why am I not surprised that they completely missed the mark with the running of the bulls but are familiar with Estoril?
Old 10-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #2239
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
You know where to find me.
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #2240
CyberCubed
Overlord

It was said before that 2018 won't see as many TMNT comics published as 2017, as there won't be another 5-week event like Dimension X, or the upcoming Ghostbusters crossover, or the free comic book day issue, Usagi crossover, double-sized issue 75, or the Nick animated comics which finished their run in 2017 with Robotanimals.

Aside from the second Batman crossover, can we just expect the main ongoing and Universe next year, bar maybe a surprise here or there? Is Universe expected to run through all of 2018?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz