The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 05-21-2022, 04:55 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
It would help to have a better story, but the plain and simple fact is that without Shredder the movie wasn't gonna sell any tickets.
Well, purely talking about ticket sales... most people had no idea there was even a new TMNT movie out at all. So there was bigger problems at hand there.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:41 PM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise

I'unno, I remember a lot of commercials for it.

Theater was pretty full on opening night at the theater I went to, but I recall a lot of people leaving with a state of being slightly underwhelmed. Like, there was a bit of excitement during the intro and people clapping/cheering, and it's not like they were silent during the movie, there were a lot of laughs and a few cheers here and there... but by and large, the temperature in the room felt like it wasn't the movie anyone really wanted. "Fine for what it was", more than anything.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:10 PM   #23
Prowler
Emperor

Yes. I know Shredder does not have to be in everything TMNT, but he's the most recognisable villain in the series by far. And the first TMNT movie in 14 years doesn't even have a compelling replacement villain for him? No wonder it didn't catch a lot of attention.

It's a forgotten movie. And it was rather uneventful. The Leo and Raph fight part is the most memorable of it. Don't remember anything else about it. Never felt any desire to rewatch it. It's just... there.

The game based on it was OK. A Prince of Persian clone with lots of jumping around.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:08 PM   #24
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

If I remember right, TMNT 2007 was number one in ticket sales the week it was released, but it was only for that week.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 12:19 AM   #25
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

TMNT ads dominated the airwaves on kids' channels before it released. It convinced me to want to see it based on sheer curiosity on what movie could possibly warrant that amount of buzz.

It was my first exposure to the Turtles and I was just confused. It felt like the whole movie immediately followed the events of another, more exciting movie. Which, in a way, it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What turned you off if you had no experience with the series before? It's not like the Foot Elementals are any different than usual TMNT villains, or even Shokonobo being the type of alien you would always see in TMNT
That's a really good question! Maybe I thought the Elementals were "too anime" or some other nonsensical reason. Shokonobo is harder to explain... because you're right he's no different than any of the throwaway villains in FW. Probably just that he wasn't Shredder and Krang. Maybe I felt a villain like him deserved a single episode instead of a full season, but who knows, I was 8 or something.

As for the show as a whole, I might be able to answer that more thoroughly. I dug what I saw of S5 at the time, mainly because I thought Demon Shredder was rad. Since it was the endpoint of the first four seasons' story, I didn't know what was going on half the time, though. That's on me. Maybe I subconsciously took "THE LOST EPISODES" to imply something non-canon making me think I could understand what was happening having not seen the rest of the show.

The tones of FF and BTTS were odd in that they were closer to the FW series but to me they lacked a lot of the "fun." There's a general understanding in FW that none of it is meant to be taken seriously, and there's a self-awareness you pick up on even as a kid. I'd never seen anything else like it at the time, and I think that aspect captivated me. Even though the show knew well it was a dumb 22-minute toy commercial, the characters took their conflicts 100% seriously in-universe to a comical degree. Meanwhile, FF and BTTS were dumb 22-minute toy commercials as self-aware as a houseplant. There was a sense of fun and looseness in FW that was just rigid and lacking of any personality in FF/BTTS.

That might not make much sense -- I'm speaking from 15 year old memories since I haven't rewatched either season.

Of course, the 2003 show was a dumb 22-minute toy commercial that took itself 100% seriously in general. But the other seasons had more meat on their bones. Keep the same show but take away the darker tone, the character-driven stories, and (likely) animation budget, and you get FF & BTTS. Would I have responded better to S1-4? The world may never know... Though the show may have been one Shredder-beheading away from being turned off permanently in my house anyway.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 12:25 PM   #26
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I remember reading a thread on this community, dated January 2003 or something where someone posted.

This is gonna suck
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:36 AM   #27
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
Even though the show knew well it was a dumb 22-minute toy commercial, the characters took their conflicts 100% seriously in-universe to a comical degree.
That's why I didn't like how Turtles Forever treated them. They weren't giggling idiots that couldn't be serious. Despite the wackiness and silliness of their adventures, they took the situations seriously in the original show.

It would be as if they made Adam West Batman meet up with a modern version and they made West act like an incompetent idiot when he was hyper-competent within the tone of his show.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:35 PM   #28
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
That's why I didn't like how Turtles Forever treated them. They weren't giggling idiots that couldn't be serious. Despite the wackiness and silliness of their adventures, they took the situations seriously in the original show.

It would be as if they made Adam West Batman meet up with a modern version and they made West act like an incompetent idiot when he was hyper-competent within the tone of his show.
I didn't like the portrayal of the FW turtles in Turtles Forever or the 2012 series crossovers either. They were pretty bad, and yes, they are treated like imbeciles that the 'better' TMNT berate at every opportunity.

And eh, some parodies of the '66 Batman series also basically portray West's Batman as an incompetent moron who couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag, and acts like a toddler who couldn't stand on his own. It's the by-product of hack writers who seem to believe these 'retro' characters are dumb, and we should mock them because "lol they were so dumb".
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote