The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Things from 2012 that will likely appear in future incarnations of TMNT

Each incarnation of the TMNT franchise has done their own thing with the four Turtles. But each incarnation also borrows, adapts, and uses elements, characters, and situations from previous incarnations as references, easter eggs, and plot points.

What are some things introduced in TMNT 2012 that you can see being used in future incarnations?

Some of the things I can see are:

Turtles in love:

The OT had some love interests for Michelangelo, and of course MonaLisa as a love interest for Raphael, and Lotus Blossom for Leonardo. And I guess Irma for Donatello, though that's more one-sided on Irma's part.

the 2k3 version Donatello was the ladies man with short-lived but implied pseudo-love interests in April, Sydney, and Jhanna.

This is the only series that has prominently featured love interests for each of the Turtles. Which has inspired mass fan interest, debates, and discussions. But ultimately nothing comes as a result. All that we really get is some implied hints that Donnie and April may be a couple in Worlds Collide. But ultimately everything is just left for fan interpretation.

But this pandora's box has been opened, so there is likely going to be pairings between April and one of the Turtles in future incarnations. Hopefully better written and with better pay off.

Mikey being an idiot savant.

Throughout the incarnations, Mikey has been the most childish member of the group. And he is rather scatterbrained, but he has had some moments where he does imply he's smarter than his brothers realize. He even has a few moments where he outshines Donnie in the intellectual department. I liked the idiot savant angle with Mikey, such as how he would often hang out in Donnie's lab and would unconsciously pay attention to what Donnie would be doing even if he didn't completely understand it or what certain things were. Though often when he did come up with something smart, it was a deus ex machina which would be forgotten in the next episode or so.

Donnie and Leo getting into confrontations:

Donnie has often been depicted as the Turtle with the strongest loyalty towards Leo. There have been some times where Donnie would get confrontational or argumentive with Leo in previous incarnations. But normally the heated confrontations are limited to Raph and Leo. But this is the first televised incarnation where the two calmer members of the team actually have a few serious heated disagreements or (In the case of Four-fold Trap) they let their personal frustrations get the better of them and began venting at each other.

Both leaving them feeling some regret and distress about their actions. But there is otherwise very little resolution as a result.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The eye colors maybe. Either way Leo will be blue eyed to me from now on.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

I'm gonna guess... Not that much to start with? We got Pete in IDW but I don't really see most of the Nick characters being used for a while. Maybe when the kids who grew up with the show are part of making new material, let's say we'll see the big influences pop in around 2032?

As for what might have the potential to stick right now? Possibly the differentiating character designs for the turtles, maybe some of the new takes on the older characters that weren't too far from the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
You know what, **** that. I say let the blank eyes return.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Tiger Claw will almost definitely show up in another TMNT universe at some point.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Tiger Claw will almost definitely show up in another TMNT universe at some point.
Uh, yeah, sure... Personally I think he's a little too much "this show" if you get what I mean.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #6
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I like the eye colour also.

I thought they wanted to make this one quite different, maybe they will start out with just the turltes and new characters but I wonder if the further it goes the more they will bring in some known characters....you know, save some to keep interest or see what the fans demand.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #7
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
I'm sure TigerClaw will show up, he made such an impact on the 2012 series.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

There aren't any other mutant tigers in TMNT history, just that Katamundo spirit guy in Archie and he's not a mutant and as obscure as they come.

Tiger Claw was basically the, "Hun" of this series, and Hun has returned in future incarnations.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #9
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
You know what, **** that. I say let the blank eyes return.
Well screw that too, I don't mind actual eye colors. Phht.

That said though, I'd prefer a-little-too-smiley version of Leo stays with 2012. I miss the more serious, stoic-like portrayal and feel that Nick has maybe given the wrong impression to newbies that don't know him from elsewhere... Not that the guy can't ever smile, laugh, and joke around (and not that 2012 Leo isn't ever serious), but it's all the sweeter and more genuine when it happens if he's his more typical serious self the rest of the time. The wide eyed fanboy Leo thing is cute, but it gets old, I admit. And that isn't what I want him to become in the franchise. I want more 2003-ish persona again.

There really isn't all that much I particularly hope to see carry over other than small details maybe. Most 'new' things is pretty negligible. I kinda want the two toes back; April as an Adult again...

This younger seeming Splinter would be fine and I don't really mind Karai being his daughter...I could see that maybe coming around again. Their Sparrow friend as mentioned in another thread, maybe as an actual (but un-involved) friend. I'm okay with an alien Mona Lisa, though a return of a former-human would be fine. Wouldn't mind seeing the Meerkat girl again actually. A similar lair perhaps.

Romances... eh... If again only vague. I don't mind them being into women, human and otherwise, but Donnie has been a bit overboard. Prefer left as a cute hidden crush. (Or not so perfectly hidden if the crushee kind of picks up on it, but still kept vague.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-26-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #10
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
There aren't any other mutant tigers in TMNT history, just that Katamundo spirit guy in Archie and he's not a mutant and as obscure as they come.

Tiger Claw was basically the, "Hun" of this series, and Hun has returned in future incarnations.
He was no where near as interesting or compelling.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #11
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
No, no no no no no no no. Hun actually had a well written character arc and turned a street gang into well trained soldier. Tigerclaw is basically a fan fiction character with Boba Fett gear and a horrible executed origin episode with a well received IDW character.

I say Xever should appear in future incarnations of TMNT, a series where martial arts and street gangs are a strong focus could benefit from a Brazilian caporia fighter vagrant.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #12
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I believe the main thing many future incarnations will probably be taking from this series is making the Turtles, April and Casey more like Teenagers.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #13
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I kind of hope younger/active/badass Splinter is something that sticks around.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:01 PM   #14
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I wouldn't mind if Tiger Claw turns up again, but maybe with a bit more depth, writing, flaws, and less Mary Sueism.

Personally, I want my grown-seeming Turtles back. The more teenage-ery seeming 2012 has been fun and was refreshing for a while, but I want them back to the way they usually were before... Kind of 'Teenage' in name only. (Or be brave and drop that part of the title.)
Old 09-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #15
ABrown
Banned

The world needs more Shinigami. She's easily the best thing to come out of this series.

ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #16
Tarris Vaal
Stone Warrior

I think the differentiated turtle designs will stick around - and particularly a focus on making them look like teenagers. Regards eye colour, I think we will see the trick of having their eyes go blank when things are serious will return.

I dont know if Casey/April would be teenagers again, but I think that the door has been opened now and we might get some mix and match there (so adult Casey and young April for example).

I also think the Splinter/Shredder/Karai dynamic will stick. It worked extremely well overall I think and I wouldn't be surprised to see it again.

I would like to see Xever and Bradford in future incarnations though I'm not convinced we'll see them much unless IDW picks them up at some point.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Shellraiser reappear at some point, and I would be very surprised if Metalhead ever returns to his roots as being an originally pseudo villainous character.

I also think that we are likely to see a more 'in his prime' Splinter appear again, rather than returning to the elderly master trope.

I'd like to see Shinigami explored a little more, same with Tigerclaw, but they do understand when people say that they are 'Nick' characters. Again, I think if they ever appear again, it would be because IDW did an equivalent first.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-sedisverse
Tarris Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
The world needs more Shinigami. She's easily the best thing to come out of this series.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/f409b92d...72z1o1_500.gif
I really hope IDW introduces her at some point and she and Karai become a lesbian couple. Comics have no restrictions like a kids show so we could theoretically see Karai and Shinigami kissing and being a couple. What a time to be alive that will be.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #18
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
I really hope IDW introduces her at some point and she and Karai become a lesbian couple. Comics have no restrictions like a kids show so we could theoretically see Karai and Shinigami kissing and being a couple. What a time to be alive that will be.
I would love to see TigerClaw appear in the IDW comic, imagine Old Hob and TigerClaw confronting each other.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #19
Powder
So tired of this place

It's a good thing you two have no influence outside of this forum.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:37 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Shinigami is the perfect partner for Karai. I never realized how much I liked the idea of Karai with a woman till Shinigami was created. God bless Ciro.