The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 10-04-2016, 10:13 AM   #21
TMNTInsighter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
I thought the Spider-Man cartoon was canceled because the TV rights reverted to Disney/Marvel.
Well that may have been part of the reason.
TMNTInsighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #22
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTInsighter View Post
Well that may have been part of the reason.
I say its most of the reason I heard GLTAS and YJ got cancelled because of toy sales, SSP not so much. Also I don't really mind that creators want to sell toys more power to them but my problem is that they don't give any substance to their villains, when Ultimate Spiderman can give better characterization to their antagonists you know your show needs more improvement
Old 10-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #23
TMNTInsighter
Banned

No way! That show is bad all over!
Old 10-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #24
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTInsighter View Post
No way! That show is bad all over!
From what little I've seen of it, it's not awful, but it is more interested in the kooky superhero stuff, rather than Peter Parker's civilian life, which is a major reason I like the character. I have seen worse and some of the later stuff I've seen does seem better.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #25
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

I'm aware of this thread being dead for about two weeks, but I do want to clarify the whole issue with Spectacular Spider-Man as I feel some misinterpret what occurred, or some people merely blame Disney/Sony (not saying anyone here does, though Sony is practically a joke as of late). I'm going mostly by memory so if I get any details incorrect, let me know; if I find any links, I'll edit them into the post. Either way:

The show was originally going to be reprised for an additional season; Greg Weisman of Gargoyles and Young Justice, who worked on this show, wanted it to be 65 episodes, or 13 episodes per season. However, during the time the show ran (in addition to Sony holding rights to the movies), Disney bought the Marvel property. Prior to Ultimate Spider-Man's conception, Disney wanted to continue the show when it aired on Disney XD as it had really good viewership. Where the issue came apart though was Sony possessed the rights to not only the movies, which resulted in the two Amazing films, but also Spectacular Spider-Man. Additionally, this cost Spider-Man from appearing on The Super Hero Squad Show, a kid-friendly Marvel show airing at the same time (he did appear in the games voiced by Josh Keaton though). Considering Disney would've had to pay a large sum of money to Sony to continue production, it was rejected and as a result, Spectacular Spider-Man was cancelled. The handling of the movies after Spider-Man 3 would also result in Spidey finally going to MCU due to the disappointing box office.

As for Ultimate Spider-Man, it's still rather the same: primarily an action show without much substance. I've seen the recent Symbiote arc that took place in season 4 (confirmed to be the final season ending next year) and it's still rather the same. The animation is good I'll admit and the show does introduce creations from recent Marvel stories, such as Anti-Venom, Miles Morales, loosely adapting Spider-Verse, hell it brings forth obscure characters like Morbius back. It's still not well executed for my tastes, but it does do some things right but not too much, especially coming from a Spider-Man fan like me.

Whoa, I went off topic, so as for the original discussion, I do have to agree. Obviously it's for merchandising, but I'd really love to dig deeper into Baxter, Xever and even Steranko. We know some details so head canon can play a factor here, but I'd love to see newer interactions between the group instead of just being villains. Although I do feel making them all three-dimensional at this point is near impossible, at the very least I'd be interested in seeing how some of these guys play off each other. Interactions such as Baxter and Tiger Claw, Bradford and Steranko, even Xever and Zeck would make for some interesting concepts rather than grouping either Zeck/Steranko or Bradford/Xever with Tiger Claw.

Last edited by GoldMutant; 10-17-2016 at 01:09 PM.
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #26
TMNTInsighter
Banned

Good job GM. That was very insightful and, to the best of my knowledge, that was very accurate across the board.

Tags
shredder