The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
TurtleFan2012
Hench Mutant

Is that sting ray mutant anywhere in the show?

There is a blue mutant sting ray character that show up in the archie comics of TMNT, he also has an action figure. Has he ever made an appearance in the tv show?

Last edited by TurtleFan2012; 03-14-2013 at 11:27 AM.
TurtleFan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Man Ray?

There was a bastardized version of him named "Ray" in Rebel without a Fin, but he was changed to be an almost complete different character.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
TurtleFan2012
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Man Ray?

There was a bastardized version of him named "Ray" in Rebel without a Fin, but he was changed to be an almost complete different character.
I'm not sure
TurtleFan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
gobo
Wacky Action

He's the only stingray mutant I'm aware of.

He was created for Archie's TMNT comic and called Man Ray.

When Playmates got an action figure out for him, they renamed him Ray Fillet and changed his somber personality to something more deranged.

Season 4's Ray was a genetic splicing of various sea-life and was a weak immitation, supposing he was meant to be a substitute.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
pannoni1
Foot Elite

I first about him via a Random House kids book called "A Fishy Adventure" and believed that a TV episode was produced since I also had "Return of the Shredder" and the book "Escape From Dimension X" which both had cartoon episodes, but thought that said episode was either banned or was lost and that I missed it the first time around. Man Ray/Ray Fillet could have appear again in Season 6 or 7 with the underwater Technodrome, but Fred Wolf may have felt that there would be too much confusion between the two. It's also a shame that the primary villain that Rebel Without a Friend was Polidorious and not Man Ray.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Vi11AiN6
Foot Soldier

Man Ray was apart of the Mighty Mutanimals along with Mondo Gecko, Wingnut/Screwloose, leather head, Dreadmon, and the Jaguar guy.

This was when the Archie series really started to depart from the OT.
Vi11AiN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

According to Ryan Brown over at his blog, Ray from "Rebel Without a Fin" was going to be Man Ray/Ray Filet, but he objected to the use of the character as a villain and had the script changed to make the character a generic.

http://lavignebrownart.blogspot.com/...nimations.html

Go down to the comments, Ryan Brown is the user Cowabunga Dude:

Quote:
The episode "Rebel Without A Fin" was originally written to feature Ray Fillet, but when the script came in to the studio Ray was a bad guy and resembled the Man Ray character in appearance only.

I explained the situation to Fred on the phone and he refused to make any changes. Murph and I rejected the script and Fred had the character redesigned so as to not resemble Ray Fillet in any way. To this day neither Murph or myself has seen the episode.
So the whole rumor about Ray being a hasty substitution for Man Ray is true.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Why did it bother them so much if Ray Fillet was going to be used as a villain anyway?

Leatherhead was used as a villain in the old toon, and nobody from Mirage complained. It just seems odd for Ryan Brown and Murphy to throw up in arms about this.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:43 AM   #9
Galactus
Foot Elite

According to the aforementioned blog Man Ray was created for Steve Murphy and based on him. Link

So they were probably a lot more territorial over the character. It could also be a case of the straw that breaks the camel's back in the case of yet another creation of theirs being completely and needlessly redone.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wonder if its conflict like this between Mirage and Fred Wolf that prevented them from using alot of the other Playmates mutants in the show. They wanted to create their own characters.

Mondo Gecko started off as a villain in his debut episode too.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #11
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

As far as I am concerned, Ray Fillet Did show up in the show, it was just a poor adaptation of him. I thought it was the show's version of ray as a kid (despite being a villian) and I still see him as the show's version of the character. (Hey, they made wingnut and screwloose baddies, too!)

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
man ray, ray fillet