The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 04-04-2022, 10:33 PM   #5861
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
I ordered cartoon T&R and Bronx from Costumes. Is it possible to manually cancel if I find these items on Friday's Target Haulothan? I don't want to cancel but I have a feeling they will cancel after Target's sale, leaving me in a confusing state of being.
I’m beginning to think that Tokka and Razhar won’t be on Target.com, considering it’s been back in stock twice now on the Costumes.com site

I could be wrong but we’ll see
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:12 AM   #5862
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFanatic4Life View Post
I’m beginning to think that Tokka and Razhar won’t be on Target.com, considering it’s been back in stock twice now on the Costumes.com site

I could be wrong but we’ll see
Is it no longer possible for you to order from costumes?
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:57 AM   #5863
theassassin
Foot Soldier

Overall it looks good but the size and proportions seem compromised, obviously an intentional decision to get the price point down. Plus seeing the "Final Product May Vary" stamp on the images makes me remember when Mattel announced the measurements of the MOTUC Castle Grayskull, got the preorders in, then quietly shrunk it down and the production version ended up smaller than advertised in all directions.

Anyway back to the Turtle Van - the horizontal proportions are too small, which makes it appear too big vertically, particularly noticeable with the hump on the roof being far too high and bulbous, obviously a necessary change to allow the figures to fit inside vertically.

I get why they did it this way, and again overall it looks good. But the compromised proportions hold it back from being great, and I'm somewhat disappointed. I'd rather have it done right even if it means paying more. And while the Underground Arsenal one looks better in terms of proportions, I think it's lacking in terms of quality and detail. And I want a toon version so Super7 isn't right for me either.

Also a separate issue is I'm not comfortable placing any orders with NECA right now, since I was one of the Turtles In Disguise customers issued with the ridiculous "9-month delay" email recently, which considering they took full payment last July, and it was supposed to ship by the end of 2021, I am pretty angry about. But I need the set (and in cartoon colors), and ebay prices are crazy, so waiting and hoping NECA eventually comes through is my only option. But I can't bring myself to make any more orders with them at least until I get my TID, and depending on how much longer that takes and whether there are any QC problems, maybe never again.

Last edited by theassassin; 04-05-2022 at 06:13 AM.
theassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:34 AM   #5864
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
Not going to happen, even the 3rd party version I posted about is going to sell for $270. NECA is likely to sell more than the Super 7 version. So it might sell for less just based on the higher production numbers. But it is still going to be well over the $270 mark.

Keep in mind that Playmates already has the molds for their party van and doesn't have to pay for new tooling (the most expensive part of production) And we have already seen that Super 7's version is going to have way more parts than the original and NECA's will probably be comparable.
I work in plastics and to produce the product will be pennies (dimes). The cost (for NECA) will be the tooling and how much labour it takes to put the parts together and paint it.

My point is, even back in the day when Playmates had to make the van for the first time and pay for the moulds (your point about the moulds already existing for playmates) they still charged kids toy prices.

I just feel, from experience, it would be possible for someone, somewhere, to produce a decent Turtle Van at a very affordable price.

Now I've seen this NECA one, it's nice, it's OK. I'll have a think about getting it but it's a no means guaranteed. Especially when some people have just paid out for the SOTO stuff.

I guess at the end of the day it's all about profit for NECA, they are a business and need to pay the bills. But are they better off selling a few at a higher price, or selling LOADS at a lower price??...

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:41 AM   #5865
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
Is it no longer possible for you to order from costumes?
They’re still up on costumes.com.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:53 AM   #5866
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
They’re still up on costumes.com.
And I can still order it. Though I’m in US and don’t know if International can order it.
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:01 AM   #5867
mikey see
Mad Scientist

First time I saw this was in a comparison pic on Twitter, showing the S7 version, the OG Playmates, and what I thought were two custom versions. I thought to myself, "wow, whose is that? the proportions look terrible."

It was NECA's. I was never going to get it anyway but I legit can't believe some of you think it looks good. That hump on the back looks ridiculous, and it reminds me of a Lego car with how disproportionately skinny it is. Bravo to them for the $250 price point to be sure, but wow. I don't get how they can be so spot on with most of the Toon line and then so very off with other releases.

Also, to circle back on that price point... when this line started I know a lot of people were hypothesizing about an eventual van release, and guessing at the price point. From what I recall, the consensus was $100-$150. Now, here I am praising them for the cheap $250 price tag. Oh, 2022 collecting...
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:31 AM   #5868
Dask
Mad Scientist

For what it's worth, Mad Hatter Reviews seems to be praising the hump as the most welcoming addition to the van:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APutJNcnbjk

This makes me wonder if there were any episodes in which the hump was more prominent than others. Regardless, I think the 3rd party van had the best proportions (even though the paint job looks flats and the visible screws are a turn off) and the most toon-fidelity while the S7 version is the most visually interesting one. The NECA version appears to lie somewhere in the middle but it's difficult to say until they give us a tour of the bells and whistles and LED function (speaking of LED functions, that is the most obvious omission on Super7's part)
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:34 AM   #5869
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Also, to circle back on that price point... when this line started I know a lot of people were hypothesizing about an eventual van release, and guessing at the price point. From what I recall, the consensus was $100-$150. Now, here I am praising them for the cheap $250 price tag. Oh, 2022 collecting...
There's just no way it would have the same price point as their dio. $180 to 220 would have been a reasonable target.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:57 AM   #5870
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
When i look at the Neca turtle van, all i see are compromises being made to bring the price down to $250.
And you want a $100 van? They could do it, it'll probably be a rectangle shoe box with wheels.
The van being cheaper than the 4 turtles it can hold is never gonna happen (Turtles in disguise are $125, style guide turtles are $150).
I'd rather pay $300 for them to make it bigger at this point.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:51 AM   #5871
staypuftweepel
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
For what it's worth, Mad Hatter Reviews seems to be praising the hump as the most welcoming addition to the van:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APutJNcnbjk

This makes me wonder if there were any episodes in which the hump was more prominent than others. Regardless, I think the 3rd party van had the best proportions (even though the paint job looks flats and the visible screws are a turn off) and the most toon-fidelity while the S7 version is the most visually interesting one. The NECA version appears to lie somewhere in the middle but it's difficult to say until they give us a tour of the bells and whistles and LED function (speaking of LED functions, that is the most obvious omission on Super7's part)
No I don’t think the hump was ever that pronounced. It’s there a little bit, but this neca one is very high. Also because the van isn’t as long is it probably should be the hump is more drastic and stands out. I’ve taking a lot of screenshots from the show, so I’ll have to look them over again to be sure. I still think this is gonna be a tight fit to get them all in the van without making them look overly crowded. I think adding human characters may be a problem too as someone already mentioned. Hopefully they’ll release a video displaying it with a mix of footage so we can get a better idea about it. I’ll pick it up regardless though.
staypuftweepel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #5872
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
When i look at the Neca turtle van, all i see are compromises being made to bring the price down to $250.
And you want a $100 van? They could do it, it'll probably be a rectangle shoe box with wheels.
The van being cheaper than the 4 turtles it can hold is never gonna happen (Turtles in disguise are $125, style guide turtles are $150).
I'd rather pay $300 for them to make it bigger at this point.
I suppose I feel the same way.

If/When NECA pumps out a Channel Six News van, I'll probably scoop that up without hesitation, haha.

EDIT: NECA made a stop-motion animated commercial for it:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb-azUmBCie/

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:06 AM   #5873
staypuftweepel
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I suppose I feel the same way.

If/When NECA pumps out a Channel Six News van, I'll probably scoop that up without hesitation, haha.

EDIT: NECA made a stop-motion animated commercial for it:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb-azUmBCie/
That’s one awesome commercial!

Edit: I just looked over my stuff. The hump like most stuff in the cartoon varies a lot from shot to shot and episode to episode. The hump is pretty noticeable in turtle terminator and a lot of others.

Last edited by staypuftweepel; 04-05-2022 at 11:13 AM.
staypuftweepel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:25 AM   #5874
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Lol. That guy loves the hump. Too bad that opinion is invalid!

NECA effectively already made a turtle van -- WizKidz Heroclix SDCC exclusive turtle van. All they had to do was blow that thing up. And in a sense, they did. Except for that stupid hump.

They're the line that is supposed to be going for toon accuracy. They're pretty close, but why, WHY, the hump? WHY? I think it must be the only way you can stand them up straight in the back, which means that Donnie is going to dwarf his computer. I took a snapshot of the part in the commercial where the top opens up. Only the middle of the top opens, the highest part of the hump does not. They've actually molded additional screens and widgets on the wall up above the computers around the inner surface of that rear hump section. I think that's about where their heads will be if they are standing there. Which is probably why NECA didn't give us a good look at any turtles being inside, neither in the photos nor in that commercial.

I'm having a hard time deciding which one is better for me, the NECA or the Underground Arsenal. If it weren't for the hump, the choice would, for me, clearly be NECA. I think. Except the UA one looks pretty darn rugged whereas I'm sure the NECA will feel fragile. But I also don't like all the exposed screws on the UA, or the color of the TURTLES logo. The roof however is 1,000x better on UA.

It really sucks that NECA left us in this position. All we wanted was the perfect van, and nobody made it.

I'll say for the S7 van that it certainly looks the most toy-etic, and fun, of the bunch -- but it's going for a reimagining of the vintage toy and I just don't need that in my life when I have the vintage toy. Certainly not for $500 but probably not at any price because space is a valuable resource as well.

Last edited by DonnieLaForge; 04-05-2022 at 11:38 AM.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:38 AM   #5875
Wretched Reptile
Foot Soldier

That commercial is awesome. It almost makes me just go ahead and buy. Almost.

I'm still torn though. I think most of the design cues work fine for what they've done at the price point we're getting, but it just still feels slightly off somehow.

And regardless of how the "hump" varied in animation from episode to episode, it just looks too huge on this fixed and static toy design.

I really prefer the overall proportions of the Underground Arsenal version (except the stubby chunky cannons on top), but I hate mixing in third party products on a line like this one. Visual consistency is really key on a line like this, and the UA version just doesn't quite mesh fully to my eyes as a sufficient alternative.

If this pre-order was the lair they've been showing and teasing, I wouldn't hesitate. It looks wonderful and essentially right in line with the figures in terms of screen accuracy (aside from April lol). The van just feels like a misfire in some way.

I mean, I'll probably cave and get it anyway, and yet, I feel like too many of us are going to end up doing that lol. Kinda almost like Neca knows it's "good enough," and we'll essentially accept that too and just go along with it despite it feeling somewhat "off."

Maybe in hand it'll be better. Maybe they'll tweak the proportions just enough for production and fix the roof too and the final product will be greater. I just suspect this is essentially what we're gonna get though and I can't quite decide if it's good enough. But because I've already invested too much in this line, I'll probably just buy it anyway. Ugh.
Wretched Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:39 AM   #5876
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

I wonder why NECA only does a 2-week window for pre-orders?

With something on this scale surely a 4-week window could benefit both NECA and NECA's customers?

I have to admit temptation of getting this van is getting the better of me...

Do we know any details on the sewer playset? I am hoping they're not gonna hit us with that this side of July...

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:29 AM   #5877
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

I don't think it looks that bad and at least we're getting a payment plan, so it won't hurt as much. Gonna have to grab a wrestle ring so I can get a pic or two of both tokka and Rahzar sets at wrestlemania.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:03 PM   #5878
Dpooly84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
I don't think it looks that bad and at least we're getting a payment plan, so it won't hurt as much. Gonna have to grab a wrestle ring so I can get a pic or two of both tokka and Rahzar sets at wrestlemania.
That's cool, I might do that also. I have to get a ring to display my WWE turtles.
Dpooly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:21 PM   #5879
Reputator
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpooly84 View Post
That's cool, I might do that also. I have to get a ring to display my WWE turtles.
Man I forgot about all the crossover Turtles Playmates did during that time. I recently saw a picture of one of the Ghostbusters Turtles and I was like "Oh yeah! That's a thing!"

Particularly interesting to think back on when you realize how little Playmates is doing with TMNT right now.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:28 PM   #5880
Dpooly84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reputator View Post
Man I forgot about all the crossover Turtles Playmates did during that time. I recently saw a picture of one of the Ghostbusters Turtles and I was like "Oh yeah! That's a thing!"

Particularly interesting to think back on when you realize how little Playmates is doing with TMNT right now.
This is super ironic because I just got the Ghostbusters turtles delivered today lol they are awesome
Dpooly84 is offline   Reply With Quote