The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 12-21-2022, 10:26 AM   #1421
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

If my hunch is true that these will be human kids in high school mutated into turtles, then April will be a fellow high school kid. Probably who knew them from before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Knowing Seth, she will probably be black again, or maybe she will be white but with a short lopsided haircut and a flat chest. If both of my guesses are wrong, then color me surprised.
I'm not aware Seth has a history with race-swapping. And man, nothing is worse than that short lopsided cut. With the one side shaved. It's everywhere in media now. If there's a new strong womyn amongst a super diverse cast, then there's good odds they have "that" haircut.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:31 AM   #1422
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Looks like we got our first look at the Turtles via this bag of Onion Rings

https://i.imgur.com/t6vu1jC.jpg

https://twitter.com/NinjaTurtlePH/st...828928/photo/1
Not much different, they look similar to the 2012/Rise designs.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:37 AM   #1423
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm not aware Seth has a history with race-swapping.
Oh yeah. Have you ever watched Invincible? Amber was originally white in the comics, but in the TV series, which Seth also produced, she was racebent into a black woman who was also an insufferable feminist.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:42 AM   #1424
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well, they at least look like they'll transfer well to action figures and may make okay ones. Guess that's always important, esp after the Rise figures sucked.

Cute-ish designs I guess... they look like tweens, maybe 14 at most? Already tired of the age regression shtick though.

*longing for 25-year-old Turtles intensifies* For the love of all that is good, why is that such a sin. Don't they tell me there aren't grown-ass fans there to throw money at it, those collectable companies already figured it out.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 12:12 PM   #1425
AquaParade
Banned

Comic companies figured it out too. Hollywood doesn’t “get” TMNT. The 1990 film is our parting gift.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 04:30 PM   #1426
Galactus
Foot Elite

To be fair high end collectibles is a very niche market. The only reason that it makes money is because they are overpriced. NECA, Super 7 figures will never have the success as Playmates making mass market toys based the latest animated show.

That's probably why as eye rolling as the above designs are I can't really get mad at them. Out of all TMNT products that have been released since Viacom bought the franchise this is probably the version least aimed at us. Remember this movie isn't hoping to start a proper movie franchise. It's been confirmed that it's a pilot for a cartoon show...one that looks like it's aimed at an even younger audience that the previous Saturday morning turtle show. If you keep that in mind the designs make more sense.

What is a let down is that there isn't a live action feature that is properly in development and if/when finally comes I don't really trust they will get it right. One thing is very clear about these designs if that Viacom still can't get over the idea of trying to replicate Fred Wolf show. The TMNT franchise has had varying degrees of success since the '87 series kicked off 'turtlemania' but it's least successful efforts have always been when trying to copy the 80s cartoon. You'd think that the financial bomb that was Out Of The Shadows would the final lesson in this regard but here we again trying to make it work again.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 08:17 PM   #1427
Powder
So tired of this place

They're very "safe" designs, which is to be expected from a kid-aimed CGI film. Fred Wolf reliance is never ideal for me, but it's not like they'll ever do anything else at this point. Easier to just accept it for what it is & be glad they don't look like Platinum Dunes' abominations. I personally love the over-the-head bandana for Raph, which contrary to many fans' dislike, is a long established look for the turtles on occasion (going back to Mirage Vol. 1 #9, The Next Mutation, 4kids, etc) way before PD or Rise. Do not like Don having glasses, though. It's such a tired 'nerd' trope. Whatever. None of this is new, we saw the concept art already a few months ago, this just confirms it.

Hopefully it'll be a fun film. So long as it doesn't spit on anything that came before or lean into fart humor, it'll be fine.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:59 AM   #1428
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

looks... ok?

I just hope we see slash and ray fillet in the movie.
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 11:49 AM   #1429
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

new toy listings:
https://news.toyark.com/2022/12/22/m...figures-490720
Old 12-22-2022, 04:37 PM   #1430
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Based from the toy listings, it looks like Bebop,Rocksteady and Leatherhead will be in the movie. I think Rogen might be going full Fred Wolf with this thing.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 05:58 PM   #1431
Chris
Mad Scientist

They look fine to me. Yeah, I'm not a fan of Raph's bandana style or Don's glasses, but on the whole they just look like younger versions of the FW Turtles which is the vibe it feels they've been going for since this film was announced.

Best designs ever? Of course not, but far, far better than Paramount's previous live action designs.

All I'm hoping for from this is a fun kids movie that isn't ashamed to be Turtles.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:06 PM   #1432
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Based from the toy listings, it looks like Bebop,Rocksteady and Leatherhead will be in the movie. I think Rogen might be going full Fred Wolf with this thing.
Technically it just says Rocksteady, never Bebop... But yeah, that's a safe assumption...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:07 PM   #1433
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
They look fine to me. Yeah, I'm not a fan of Raph's bandana style or Don's glasses, but on the whole they just look like younger versions of the FW Turtles which is the vibe it feels they've been going for since this film was announced.

Best designs ever? Of course not, but far, far better than Paramount's previous live action designs.

All I'm hoping for from this is a fun kids movie that isn't ashamed to be Turtles.
Yeah they are not the worst TMNT designs (far from it) but it's weird that surely everyone at Nickleodeon knows that darn near everyone hates Donatello having glasses and even Raph's durag isn't popular but kept those things. They went in the complete opposite direction to the Platinum Dunes designs but kept two of the least popular elements of those designs.

While I don't begrudge little kids having their version of TMNT it's kinda strange they are going full Fred Wolf again. It makes me wonder what happen if once again that approach isn't successful...although I expect the bar for success is substantially lower for a project that is essentially promo for a cartoon show.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:27 PM   #1434
AquaParade
Banned

The leaked concept art had more of a 2K7 vibe.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:28 PM   #1435
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Technically it just says Rocksteady, never Bebop... But yeah, that's a safe assumption...
Yeah, you're right. Kinda go together like peanut butter and jelly, so I thought it was a safe assumption, yeah. Still, seems splinter is a rat, so maybe not totally fred wolf?

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:32 PM   #1436
Powder
So tired of this place

Baxterfly is also among the toy leaks, allegedly for this film. So, yeah, all just Fred Wolf stuff.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:50 PM   #1437
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Baxterfly is also among the toy leaks, allegedly for this film. So, yeah, all just Fred Wolf stuff.
Well its not called Mutant Mayhem for nothing.
Old 12-23-2022, 12:10 AM   #1438
terrorblade
Foot Soldier

I don't think the problem is in the design, it's the art style. The designs are very basic but a good art style can definitely elevate it, was really expecting a more stylistic approach based on the concept arts we've seen.

The art style they went for made it looks like those youtube cartoons that toddlers watch.
terrorblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 03:24 AM   #1439
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
any sign of slash or ray fillet?
Old 12-23-2022, 05:44 AM   #1440
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I'm ok with the design of Leo and Raph, this is probably the first time I actually appreciate the full head bandana. Michelangelo and Don are horrible.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote