The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-05-2023, 12:56 PM   #1541
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's not that hard to figure out. Since Day 1 (even when they were sweeping through the offices of Mirage Studios) they've made it crystal clear and even to those around them that their guiding interest is in recreating Turtlemania. That's it. Turtlemania revolved around Fred Wolf TMNT so there it is.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:47 PM   #1542
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil G View Post
Saw this on Instagram, didn't see it here. First look at the toys (that I'm aware of).
great find!
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:56 PM   #1543
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Maybe the adults are hesitant to watch the new movie because they know what to expect.

Look what happened to He-Man, Thundercats, Star Wars, Terminator, etc.

Sure, kids who have never been exposed to the original material will think that the new material is “cool”, and they’ll assume that their parents, who don’t particularly like it, are just boring old fuddy-duddies who have never known “cool”. But you know that entertainment in general is circling down the drain if you find yourself laughing at cartoons that are fifty years older than you are while all you can do is cringe as you watch the newest cartoons.
Old 01-05-2023, 03:18 PM   #1544
IMJ
Emperor

You guys also have to remember how out of touch with history these younger generations are. Many of these kids really lack all information about things that came before them in general, which is a significant difference from when Gen X was younger (i.e., I wasn't around for Led Zeppelin but I was able to ascertain who they were pretty quickly, ironically without the internet to help me).

The point is that Fred Wolf TMNT is old now. What's old is new again.

I'm not saying they should go that route, but only that if they do and it works then it could bring kids into the I.P. The Last Ronin is great, but going that route isn't the answer either - that's like something you do after TMNT has been incredibly successful again and they make a 4th movie and truly need to take it somewhere new.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:46 AM   #1545
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

I really hope we get a official first look soon.... a lot of things are leaking and we need our first official look.
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 11:32 AM   #1546
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Mst haev new Trtle product nwwww!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash-Dash View Post
I really hope we get a official first look soon.... a lot of things are leaking and we need our first official look.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:47 AM   #1547
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

First look:

Spoiler:
AlZarkovski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:05 PM   #1548
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Horrifying. I'm surprised they showed enough restraint not to have chunks missing from Raphael's shell.

Different color skins, different body types, different colored bandannas, kneepads, elbowpads, wristbands, different weapons AND letters on all of their belts? Plus some accessories? lmao! Also, the handles of all of the weapons actually look like toys. Seemingly by design.

Also: braces on Michelangelo? First of all, retarded. Second, are we sure these aren't humans that become Turtles? Otherwise, who in the f***ing world would be performing expensive orthodontia on him if he's just always been a Turtle in a sewer?

I'm assuming Don will have the gap tooth that the hacks like to give him? Do we know yet?
Old 01-06-2023, 12:30 PM   #1549
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Honestly coming from the Platinum Dunes films and Rise, they could’ve looked a lot worse.
RaphaelinSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:36 PM   #1550
AquaParade
Banned

If I squint, they’re kinda nice, and I’m betting they animate well.

But there’s probably no getting past the braces and initialed belt buckles, for me. This would have to be super off-the-wall in a way I’m not expecting, for me to get on board with nonsensical elements like that.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:39 PM   #1551
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Second, are we sure these aren't humans that become Turtles? Otherwise, who in the f***ing world would be performing expensive orthodontia on him if he's just always been a Turtle in a sewer?
Let’s see…

Raph was the star football player in his school’s team. Donnie was the biggest nerd in class who would do the other students’ homework. Mikey was the class clown who had a slacker attitude and talked like a surfer dude. Leo was…well, a nobody, nothing about him really stood out from the rest of the kids, but once he starts to believe in himself and gain more confidence, he proves that he can be a real leader.

Cliche and predictable, right?
Old 01-06-2023, 12:50 PM   #1552
Roseangelo
Emperor

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll even bother going to the theater.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:57 PM   #1553
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Raph with the durag is kind of cool, Its one of those things that carried over from previous designs.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:02 PM   #1554
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Raph with the durag is kind of cool
That is not a du rag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if I'll even bother going to the theater.
The last TMNT movie I saw in the theater was 2014 and I had absolutely no problem skipping out on OotS in 2016. Still haven't seen it. I can't fathom a world where my money goes to reward something like this or something like OotS.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:14 PM   #1555
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Raph with the durag is kind of cool, Its one of those things that carried over from previous designs.
That full bandana is actually my least favorite thing they've been doing for Raphael designs.

Again, this could be worse. Obviously I'd have them all look similar to Leonardo and I'd get rid of Mikey's braces, Donnie's glasses and lose the bandana/bulkiness of Raphael and it wouldn't be that bad.

Unlike most, I don't mind the initial belt buckle or the colored knee pads/elbow pads.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:31 PM   #1556
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Eh. They could have been better, but could have also been a lot worse. I don't hate it, it's just not what I as an adult fan keep longing for someday if makers can get over the focusing in on the "teen" part of the title that was never supposed to be of much importance.

Making them more kiddieish just doesn't cause any hype for me to go want to spend money on its merchandise. Good chance I'll grab Leo for posterity sake and stop there.

Aside from that mask style on Raph and glasses on Donnie both getting really old... really the only things that bug me are Mikey's rather wide set eyes and that all the Turtles look like they need to grow into their shells, as if it isn't actually a part of them and should be proportional. I'll always appreciate that 2012 gave them shells more typical of sliders and didn't go so bulky.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-06-2023 at 01:37 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 01:39 PM   #1557
Vicky82
Emperor

They look cute but they just basically the same designs as other versions of TMNT (FW, 2012, Rise and 2014/16 movies) so not new designs.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 02:22 PM   #1558
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Hm. Just noticed the braces either switched to Mikey or he has them along with Leo.

That is one super trusted orthodontist doing charity work. Goodness knows when you're a family of mutants with no jobs and meals are hard enough to get, the straightness of your teeth is of utmost importance.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:53 PM   #1559
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I like the art direction much, much more than what we got from Rise... that's good at least. They look to be inspired by Into The Spider-Verse with the messy linework. Sadly with TMNT, there's been so much disappointment in the franchise over the years, that it's difficult to be optimistic in this early phase until there's something solid to go off of. Hope there is a teaser soon.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:05 PM   #1560
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

A couple of things:

-They really just went full '87 Series with these designs, didn't they? I like the original concept art better. They were toned down a bit more compared to this.

-Donatello having glasses is getting old.

-The shells are way too big compared to their bodies. They look like they should fall over backwards.

-I do not like Mikey's landing pad-sized monster of a head which is disturbingly large. WHY IS IS HEAD SO BIG?

That's all I got for now.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote