The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #81
Shredded
Foot Soldier

So... what do people think of the new lair form the 2k12 show?

Apparently it looks basically like this in a wide ankle shot.

So what do we got? like the 2k3 show it seems to be just one massive room, though in difference to the 2k3 it's explained why it's so big as it is in fact, and abandoned train station, so that's pretty neat.

I gotta admit I had no idea that there was open air to the dojo to the left, I thought there was some kind of a door sepperating the dojo from the main room, but I must admit, I really like the tree that stands there, a nice little touch, and apparently the dojo is also where Splinter sleep, he just seemed to be sleeping at a wide open space in "I'monster." as well as sitting meditating under that tree when-ever he does that.
Also his shrine with the picture is some-where in that dojo.

To the right, we have Donnies workshop, where he has a free view over the main lair, which I did notice in the TV-show, and that's pretty neat, he can keep an eye on his brothers while he work, and they can keep an eye on him.

That stair-case in the middle on this drawing, I guess is just there to illustrate where it should be in the play-set, since the actual lair don't have a stair like that.

We know there is a kitchen some-where, and it's relatively close to this main room, we can actually see this room from the kitchen as there is only half a wall sepperating it.

Also, Donnie have a larger work-shop in exstension to his own, so I am going to guess that if we keep continuing to the right, there is an opening, leading to a sort of garrage where Donnie keeps his go-cart and so on.

We have yet to see any of the turtles rooms, and if they even have private rooms is a question left un-answered, as I said.. Splinter doesn't even have his own room, he just got the dojo to sleep in.

And we got the entrance through the sewer pipe where you swim through the water.
I am going to guess there is another entrance since I doubt April want to swim that way every single time she visits.

Overall I really like this new lair, I like the fact that it's an abandoned train station and we see that.
I like the colours is more dimmed down than the 2k3 show, so it feels more like a sewer lair than the big bright clean space.
It's not as homely as the TOS show, I like the dojo and I like all the personalised touches all around, Splinter has decorated the place with a lot of japanese thingies, they have rice-paper slide doors around the place, and the turtles have some wall-posters a ping-pong machine and all kinds of personalised stuff, which is neat.

I gotta ask though, where on earth is that door Splinter keeps dissapearing behind and closing after him? It needs to be some-where, he sure uses it a lot!
Shredded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #82
Jephael
That whack job behind you

This is such an awesome thread! A long time ago someone in the fandom made a really cool layout of the classic toon lair, though sadly it's long gone and I have no idea what happened to that person.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #83
Vivi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Nice work, Vivi! Do you have some skills with the language or did you just run some of the words through Google translate like I've tried to do in the past?
thanks - I can read the katakana which literally just reads as english words (most of the words here are this). The rest is google translated.

Quote:
So... what do people think of the new lair form the 2k12 show?
Love the pic - I never noticed that the training room was raised above the living room like that. And what is it with that spiral case to the ceiling, is that there in the show?
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #84
Shredded
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi View Post

Love the pic - I never noticed that the training room was raised above the living room like that. And what is it with that spiral case to the ceiling, is that there in the show?
If it is, I certainly never noticed it.

I think it's just there to illustrate where it should be for potential play sets, as there is a play-set with a stair-case like that.

Also, I doubt the lair is close enough to the upstairs that they would have an opening going straight to the top-side and bring in light. That gotta be there for the train-set.

Also.. I doubt this drawing is entirely complete. Again, I sort of lack that rice-paper door Splinter keeps dissapearing behind and closing after himself, it just isn't there and I have litterately no idea where it is supposed to be, as well as the kitchen which is sepperated from the main room with a long piece of blue cloth (I just noticed in the most recent episode, the kitchen has no door, just that blue cloth.)

(Edit)

No wait, skip the rice-paper door, I found it! it's up in the dojo, if you look after, you can see in the opposite side of the dojo, at the back-end wall, there's a little door, I believe that would be Splinters own room where he dissapears into for solitude.
Shredded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #85
MightyThirstyPirate
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
LOL...I know EXACTLY what you mean It did lead to some unwanted mental imagery!

...And judging from the lack of replies to that "bathroom" issue, I guess I was right in it not being important since they were in the sewer after all (as you pointed out MightyThirstyPirate) or no one wanted to mentally "go there" LOL
...But whatever, it's cool, I'm not offended or anything....
I watched that episode after you mentioned it. I think the bathroom thing was just there as part of the visual gag. You see the lair altered to suit the story or animators in other episodes as well. Rooms will suddenly have an extra exit where there clearly wasn't one before, and then in the next episode it's back like it was. Things like that. As you point out, Leo runs out to the tv room, is shown in the bathroom, then runs back through the kitchen doorway. There's no where on the established layout that the bathroom could have been within running distance. Maybe this was the show's extremely brief tutorial for the kids watching of what to do in case of fire. Still. There's a sink right there in the kitchen, Leo. No need to go to the Phantom Zone bathroom.

So weird to see a toliet IN the sewer.
MightyThirstyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #86
billbot85
Mad Scientist

Wow. I had never gone through this thread before until now. And I gotta say that all of the information on the OT Sewer Lair is just incredible! Great job everyone in unraveling the mystery behind the lair! It's nice to see what the layout really looks like altogether!

I had thought of making my Sewer Playset look like the OT Lair as well. Interesting to note that the 1989 Sewer Playset has a decal of the Turtles' bedroom with bunk beds instead of the individual rooms. I think that idea was taken from the first 2 seasons where, as mentioned before on this thread, the turtles had bunk beds.

However, someone on this thread had mentioned that the turtles at first had individual rooms, switched to bunk beds, and then switched back to their own bedrooms. I only remembered them having bunks in the first 2 seasons?

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #87
Jay $tarkiller
Stone Warrior

Wooow, what a nice shot of the lair. Extremely cool!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #88
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
That layout can't be right. In every screen shot I have (and I've been doing my own screencaps to figure out the layout), Mike's and Don's rooms are side by side, but there is no portal between them, and there is a doorway to the lab in the kitchen, which means it would have to be BEHIND Don's room, and from the screenshots I've seen, it is accessed from both the kitchen and his room directly. That makes more sense than going through Mike's or Splinter's rooms, anyway. And I've never seen the storage shed next to Splinter's room anywhere in the show. Could that be the bathroom others have referred to, and that Leo went into to get the wet towel? It would make sense if he had to go through the TV(living) room to get to it- possibly by way of the training room. I'll admit that it's an odd place to put one, and inconvenient besides for getting in and out of, but it's more likely than a storeroom that they don't even really need. They have plenty of other space for that sort of thing- like the garage and the weapons room. Although, they DO have a closet to store their trench-coats and other "disguises", somewhere. I think it is either in the weapons room or the garage.

Also, I too, recall them having separate rooms in the first few episodes when they meet April- in fact, I believe she first wakes up in either Mike's or Don's room. Then in I think it was episode four or five, she read them a bedtime story in the bunk beds, and in the episode Attack of 50 ft Irma, they have them again when Mikey is decorating for the party, but the rest of the time, they appear to have their own rooms. There may be a couple of other eps with the bunk beds, but I don't recall off-hand. So maybe there is another bedroom somewhere? Hmm, do they have a guest room? April's gotta sleep somewhere when she visits!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #89
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Feel free to post those screencaps, MsMarvelDuckie. We love to expand our knowledge of the lair layout!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #90
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Haha, our work got noticed!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/...ty-your-wallet

The original article:
Quote:
I tracked down an excellent fan-created forum thread about the layout of the OT lair on The Technodrome, where fellow Turtlephiles had compiled a thorough floorplan based on stills from the cartoon, a map produced by toymaker Playmates Toys, and other sources including a Japanese TMNT magazine
http://www.movoto.com/blog/novelty-r...ninja-turtles/

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 09-25-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #91
Olmosa
Random Punk

Does anyone have any shots of the bathroom? I'm trying to put together a lair layout in a blueprint program I have, but can't seem to place the bathroom.
Olmosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #92
BigMike322
Thug

I always liked the OT Lair best myself. It always stemmed like a lot more thought was put into it.
BigMike322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #93
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Somewhat old news at this point, but I recently acquired a Japanese TMNT encyclopedia from the early 1990s. It included a few pages of maps of the old sewer lair and April's apartment.

Really hard to see, but the room to the left of Splinter's area is designated as a "Storage" area. Who knew?

Sorry the picture quality is too blurry to make out all the text details:

From the book on the left:

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 04-25-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:13 PM   #94
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Feel free to post those screencaps, MsMarvelDuckie. We love to expand our knowledge of the lair layout!

You know, if I knew how to do screen-caps, I'd post a few of them- I've been compiling a whole library of shots from just about every episode/angle, to figure out where everything goes. I'm especially interested in the lab, dojo, and Splinter's room, and the alleged library that Leo was in when reading in the episode Leonardo is Missing. And the "missing" bathroom. They GOTTA have one SOMEWHERE....

The lab is weird, because sometimes there is a door to it in the kitchen; other times, that door is missing. I've also never actually SEEN a door from Donnie's bedroom to it, but there appears to be a second door from the lab to- somewhere, and given that the lab seems to be behind the kitchen and very big, that is the only other entrance-point that makes sense. (Sometimes- the door has an odd habit of not being there consistently, just like the one from the kitchen. Is the lab in some kind of extra-dimensional space?)

Old 04-24-2015, 11:00 PM   #95
Powder
So tired of this place

What else is in that book, Winters? Any chance of scans?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:55 AM   #96
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I'm especially interested in the lab, dojo, and Splinter's room, and the alleged library that Leo was in when reading in the episode Leonardo is Missing. And the "missing" bathroom. They GOTTA have one SOMEWHERE....

The lab is weird, because sometimes there is a door to it in the kitchen; other times, that door is missing. I've also never actually SEEN a door from Donnie's bedroom to it, but there appears to be a second door from the lab to- somewhere, and given that the lab seems to be behind the kitchen and very big, that is the only other entrance-point that makes sense. (Sometimes- the door has an odd habit of not being there consistently, just like the one from the kitchen. Is the lab in some kind of extra-dimensional space?)
I think the library is probably in the same area as the "Storage" room, perhaps marked off with a row of book shelves or something. I can see a small dividing line in the model sheet scan including in the Japanese book. The lab location is weird. I can't remember seeing a good shot of Donatello's bunk room to see if a door appears. You probably wouldn't know it wraps around to the garage areas in most shots of the lab in the show episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
What else is in that book, Winters? Any chance of scans?
Because the images/texts on those Japanese books goes well into the binding "gutter" it can be hard to make good scans. It's about 128 pages total and apparently published in 1994 by Kodansha.

Here's my summary of the encyclopedia's contents:
3 pages for table of contents
2 pages of introductory material
62 pages of the toy line (38 pages appear to also function as "character profiles" with the other 24 pages showcasing the more recent variant figures current at the time, probably 1993, I think)
14 pages of the Takara battle card line (similar to this)
6 pages on the Super Famicon version of TMNT Tournament Fighters
2 pages on TMNT history(1983-1993) going back to the original Mirage comics and showcasing the Japanese video tape set of the Fred Wolf show
4 pages on the 3 live-action movies
3 pages I already posted showing the Fred Wolf locations of the lair and April's places of work and business with some looks at the official model sheets
13 pages describing the Fred Wolf TV episodes current in Japan up to that time (Turtle Tracks - Rebel Without a Fin)
2 pages that appear to list the original air dates of the Fred Wolf TV episodes in Japan
16 pages of an original TMNT comic story: looks pretty silly as Shredder, Rocksteady, Bebop, and the Foot Soldiers appear to be terrorizing a pizza parlor until the TMNT (attempt) to come to the rescue. Splinter has some contribution to the story, but he kind of ends up hiding inside a wall or something. Very weird.

A few more pics (not all made by me):
Spoiler:

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 04-25-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #97
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Well, I only have two or three good shots of Donnie's room, but it's just like Mikey's, and no door appears, so it's possible the other door goes into the garage or hanger instead. It's sort of up for grabs, at this point, but I like the idea of Donnie having direct access to the lab from his room for those late night bursts of "inspiration".

Old 04-25-2015, 03:56 PM   #98
ImmaAxolotl
Foot Soldier

My favorite lair was the one the 2K3 turtles found in season 4. I just loved the layout! I really want to go to that part of Central Park someday.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #99
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

The funny thing is, there IS a castle there, but nothing under it, as far as I've been able to find. It looks like their lair is inside a pump-station and/or filtration/treatment facility, but those are usually ABOVE GROUND. I did some poking around on-line regarding New York's sewer and water systems, and I found that the city has more than 25 sewage treatment plants, so that particular lair could easily be in one that was closed down, but there are none in that part of the city- certainly not in Central Park! As for the Castle itself, it's open to tourism, so I doubt they'd be living in it.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:11 PM   #100
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
As for the Castle itself, it's open to tourism, so I doubt they'd be living in it.
Maybe it's one of those deals like the Night at the Museum movies where guests think they are regular parts of the building decor during the day?

View my sketch work!

Tags
fred wolf series, model sheets