The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #81
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

I thought TRU delayed Sonic and Mega Man until the 13th?
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #82
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Canadians seem to have a bit better luck with amiibos than we Americans, just my experience from reading amiibo forum threads
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:32 PM   #83
Peanut
Second Gear

Completely false and it's kind of crazy that I've seen that sentiment shared so widely among the US Amiibo community. We've gotten a bunch of Wave 3's earlier than you guys, but we've also had no dates outside of Lucario. Everything has been entirely up in the air and if you haven't been keeping your finger on the pulse of retail stores you've had zero chance to get anything.

Wave 2b released here completely unannounced. People were walking into stores and finding them and this was long after the US release. Likewise, Wave 3 has not been dated here at any point. We've had completely arbitrary dates for stuff that change at the drop of a hat and varied wildly based on who you talked to about it on a given day.

The exclusives are an entirely different level beyond anything you guys have experienced. We never had an opportunity to preorder Lucario ever. We had to lineup in freezing temperatures to even have a chance at him. Both Shulk and Metaknight were up for preorder in the US for weeks before they got pulled. Here, Metaknight lasted all of 4 minutes and Shulk lasted about 5. Neither Best Buy nor (most) EB Games will be receiving walk-in stock for either of those Amiibo. We didn't even know if we were ever going to get Rosalina in Canada...a few hours before she would go up for preorder on Amazon for about 40 seconds. At retail, instead of heading to a single store on a specific day to get her, Canadians have had to check multiple stores without any set times to fight for the 1-2 over her that have been received.

I understand that it might seem like it's an easier fight over here right now, because we've actually had some small shipments of specific Wave 3 characters hitting stores here, but it is as bad, if not worse, trying to get Amiibo here.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #84
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Very strict 1 per customer setup.
Why the hell hasn't this been enforced? Everywhere?
Old 02-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #85
Ninjinister
無問題

It might be because distribution is ass overall for this region, but I've literally only seen Mario, DK, Peach, Zelda, Kirby, and Pikachu.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #86
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Why the hell hasn't this been enforced? Everywhere?
Everybody was too slow to catch on. It seems like more retailers are enforcing it now, specifically for the rare/exclusives, but it doesn't really make a difference when your demand is outweighing supply 100:1. All it takes is two people to hit a store and you're sh*t out of luck. I'm going to places where they're opening boxes of 15-20 Bowser and 2-4 Ike. It makes zero sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
It might be because distribution is ass overall for this region, but I've literally only seen Mario, DK, Peach, Zelda, Kirby, and Pikachu.
It's the situation in general. They've severely f*cked up their supply in North America. Whenever anything new hits a store, you can bet it's snatched up immediately, perhaps before it even hits the shelves. I've been that guy on multiple occasions recently! It's the only way to get them without paying a fortune in money to scalpers. An increasing issue also being the Amiibo fans scooping up multiples to trade for missing pieces. Even people who aren't looking to scalp for a quick Amiibuck are taking more than a fair share to ensure themselves decent trade bait in the event they can't find what they want.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:57 AM   #87
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
An increasing issue also being the Amiibo fans scooping up multiples to trade for missing pieces. Even people who aren't looking to scalp for a quick Amiibuck are taking more than a fair share to ensure themselves decent trade bait in the event they can't find what they want.
I have to admit, I have intentions of doing this. If my Gamestop has Shulk when I hit them up on Friday, I'm going to grab one with the hopes of using him as trait bait for Lucario or Metaknight...

But I'm only going to take one.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:26 AM   #88
Peanut
Second Gear

And I don't blame you! It's a necessary evil to combat the ridiculous supply and avoid scalpers. Though you may have issues getting a single Shulk, let alone two. In fact, I think GameStop have also adopted the 1 per customer rule.

Anyways, my point wasn't that it was a scummy tactic, but that it's yet another factor of dwindling Amiibo stock. There's so much to contend with at this point!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #89
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Gamestop better have adopted that policy. I'm going to call them on Thursday and ask.

Also, no, I don't intend on taking two Shulks -- just one. If I can't use him for a trade, I'll keep him.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:02 AM   #90
Peanut
Second Gear

Ah, right! Read that wrong. If you can manage a Shulk you're almost guaranteed to find a straight trade for Lucario, so I hope you find one!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #91
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I was at Target at opening when Rosalina came out, and the person in the electronics department didn't even know what we were talking about. They were still in the back warehouse. So, I'm sure they didn't realize how big a deal it was.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #92
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

So this site is giving Sonic a Friday release date for everywhere but Gamestop. Would anyone be able to help me scout for one on Friday? I only have access to Gamestop and Walmart [and our Walmart is ****ing awful] and I'll pay the full price+shipping if someone can nab an extra one for me, since I don't count on our Walmart stocking it.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #93
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

I found Sheik at TRU today, she was the only there too so of course I grabbed her. They were having a great sale, 3 for 33 dollars, so I picked up Link and Zelda too (I've held off on buying them since it's clear that they're not going anywhere anytime soon).
Old 02-10-2015, 11:10 PM   #94
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
I found Sheik at TRU today, she was the only there too so of course I grabbed her. They were having a great sale, 3 for 33 dollars, so I picked up Link and Zelda too (I've held off on buying them since it's clear that they're not going anywhere anytime soon).
Everyone tells me Link is plentiful but I've still never seen one in person.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:29 AM   #95
Peanut
Second Gear

Link has certainly diminished a great deal over the last month or so. Depending on where you go you can still find stock of him, but it's much more sparse than it was. There aren't any stores around me that have him anymore.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #96
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

The one that I'm having a hard time finding is Fox. Besides the holy trinity, he's the only one I'm missing from Wave 1.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #97
Memphis
Stone Warrior

Finally caved and started collecting them. I've got the usual suspects so far, Mario, Peach, Bowser, Luigi, Link and Zelda. I hunted for a Rosalina yesterday, but no dice. Might take a gamble on Gamestop for Shulk this week.

Looking for MOC Dino figures. PM me if you're selling! *Already have Ankyl Leo*
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:37 PM   #98
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
The one that I'm having a hard time finding is Fox. Besides the holy trinity, he's the only one I'm missing from Wave 1.
Fox is pretty hard to find, so I got him in fear that he'd become the next Marth.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #99
TonySiegel
Stone Warrior

still looking for captain falcon...

"...Color or creed, is no need for a man to bleed/ I believe, we all breathe the same seed/ Unless it's diluted, for somethin to intrude it..." - Kool G. Rap
TonySiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #100
snake
Disgusting

I managed to get Toon Link tonight, my walmart had like 5 of him and 2 bowser.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amiibo, peanut