The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-30-2021, 09:28 PM   #1
sighthound
Mouser

Lightbulb Mutanimals Cartoon?

Okay so I would like to know, what would everyone's opinion be on a Mutanimals Cartoon?

I remember reading on TMNT Entity that there was going to be a show based off the Mighty Mutanimals from the Archie comics, but it was shot down. I mean they even had an animation bible for the characters, villain's, locations, and what weapons they would have used. I was shocked by that. I mean during 90's turtle mania, you think that playmates and heck everyone would have jumped on that wacky idea!

But from what read it was some sort of issue between the people at Fred Wolf, and some studio called Ruby Spears or something like that.

The Mutanimals need more love.

Last edited by sighthound; 05-01-2021 at 08:01 AM.
sighthound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I don't think it would have worked without heavy involvement of the TMNT. If it wasn't on CBS, I don't see any other channel promoting it heavily during the early 1990s.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:55 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

The Mutanimals is a fairly misguided idea in general to be honest.

First off, they didn't really emerge naturally from the writing, ever in any iteration. In Archie they're just a bunch of characters slapped together into the same book, literally for the purpose of trying to create a spin-off series. The Nickelodeon iteration literally just exists because the writers just wanted to keep a few characters relevant, when they're introduced as the Mutanimals is literally the first time we see them interact, some members are even added off-screen, Mona Lisa just joins because Raph tells her about them. Then there is the IDW iteration, which is the most sensical but still mostly comes down to Hob doing lab experiments and rescueing test subjects, which is better but not great.

Then there is the problem of what they even are. I mean seriously, what are they? In Archie they're a bunch of eco-terrorists, in Nick they're some random assortment of allies and in IDW they're borderline villainous. None of these seem like they work that well as main characters of a series. Also... Unlike mismash teams like the Avengers or Justice League, it's not like they're even the popular or interesting characters. Like it is cool to see Superman, Batman, Flash and Green Lantern team up because people like those characters. Who honestly gives a **** about most of the mutanimals members? Leatherhead and Slash are arguably the A-Listers on the team, with maybe Hob being a close second. But who gives a **** about Mondo Gecko, Mutagen Man, Ray Fillet, Jagwar or any of the other losers that has ever been on the team?

And finally, isn't "Furry Avengers" just kind of a lame concept? Like, no matter how you try to spin it, that's what you're getting. A bunch of random anthro characters, that isn't especially interesting. In short, the Mutanimals aren't really a good idea. A better idea is to look at characters that are either popular already or look into what their potential is, shoving a bunch of characters together because they're animals is dumb.

Like I hate Bebop and Rocksteady, I think they're total garbage characters that need to be demoted to C-list status in the minds of the fans ASAP, but I can still recognise that they are indeed popular. So while I wouldn't want anything to do with a Bebop and Rocksteady spin-off, I can still see why it would make sense to make a series all about Bebop and Rocksteady.

I don't know, make a show about Shredder, Karai, Splinter, Casey Jones or April, they're actaully popular enough for it to make sense. And even though they're not that popular, I can still see the potential in a Fugitoid or Renet show. In fact, a Fugitoid show is an idea I've toyed around with in my head for a while now.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 05-01-2021 at 05:21 AM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:41 PM   #4
IMJ
Emperor

I would love this, but I'd be more on board for the Archie guys doing it. I loved TMNT '12 for content, but nnnnoootttt a big fan of many of the characters designs from that show to be honest.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:42 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
In Archie they're just a bunch of characters slapped together into the same book, literally for the purpose of trying to create a spin-off series.
There was the whole business about needing a team to stop the impending invasion of Maligna's forces, with Cudley Cowlick acting like the Nick Fury getting them together. And "literally for the purpose of trying to create a spin-off series" is true of just about any team-up book that's been spawned by JLA, Avengers, or X-Men.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:51 AM   #6
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthound View Post
But from what read it was some sort of issue between the people at Fred Wolf, and some studio called Ruby Spears or something like that. (
I think it had to do with the decline of the TMNT franchise between 1991–1993. Even the Mutanimals comic only lasted for two years (with a one year break between the 1991 minicomic and the 1992–1993 regular comic).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:58 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I do seem to remember this being a big point of discontent with the "staffers" at Mirage. Like, K&P were getting big monies for TMNT (duh)... and there were ideas that the Mutanimals as a cartoon and cartoon property (that might blossom into the next whatever) would be a way to spread the bounty among everybody else that helped at Mirage, for sure. Though I'm a little fuzzy on the exact how's and why's as to why that didn't happen. I think I remember a deal was close at some point.

Considering the kind of properties getting cartoons around the time this was all "hot" I'm actually surprised it didn't. Or at the very least "tried out" for a season.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:51 AM   #8
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
There was the whole business about needing a team to stop the impending invasion of Maligna's forces, with Cudley Cowlick acting like the Nick Fury getting them together. And "literally for the purpose of trying to create a spin-off series" is true of just about any team-up book that's been spawned by JLA, Avengers, or X-Men.
Technically I suppose that is true, but don't those spin-offs usually make use of characters that have been around for a while, seems to be popular and/or already know each other? I know the initial roster of the Avengers comes fairly close to what the Mutanimals, given that they were all fairly new characters at the time, but they still added Cap early on who was a well established character.
Hahahaha!
Old 05-01-2021, 06:01 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Technically I suppose that is true, but don't those spin-offs usually make use of characters that have been around for a while, seems to be popular and/or already know each other? I know the initial roster of the Avengers comes fairly close to what the Mutanimals, given that they were all fairly new characters at the time, but they still added Cap early on who was a well established character.
And the Mutanimals had Raphael.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:02 AM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
And the Mutanimals had Raphael.
Not as a permanent member obviously.
Hahahaha!
Old 05-01-2021, 06:22 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Not as a permanent member obviously.
But a founding member. You know. Who could return once in a while and probably would've. You're making a narrow incorrect narrative of something that was always very clear.

Now, the Archie ongoing Mutanimals? Not sure. They probably did the best they could with what was available to them.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #12
sighthound
Mouser

Yeah, that's what I thought. When the franchise began to dry up around the late nineties.

This is just me, but I think the IDW version of the Mutanimals are better. You really don't know whether they're the villain's or heroes.

Last edited by sighthound; 05-01-2021 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #13
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthound View Post
This is just me, but I think the IDW version of the Mutanimals are better. You really don't know whether they're the villain's or heroes.
Where I’m concerned, it is just you, but then again, I’m a huge fan of Leatherhead, who wasn’t even let in in IDW no thanks to Hob.

As for the main subject, I’d be on board for the idea, though at the same time, I realize it has the drawback of being a spin-off.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:55 AM   #14
Coola Yagami
Overlord

As a big fan of all-things TMNT, I would have loved a Mutanimals cartoon back in the day, though I wonder how it would have worked. Back then those sketches and designs clashed horribly with how the characters were drawn in the TMNT cartoon and then you'd also have to explain why or how Leatherhead and Wingnut were good guys now. And would Leatherhead and Wingnut be good guys now if they appeared in later TMNT episodes?

Like even as a kid, I cared about consistency and canon and whatnot, even though I probably didn't know the words back then.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:38 PM   #15
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
As a big fan of all-things TMNT, I would have loved a Mutanimals cartoon back in the day, though I wonder how it would have worked. Back then those sketches and designs clashed horribly with how the characters were drawn in the TMNT cartoon and then you'd also have to explain why or how Leatherhead and Wingnut were good guys now. And would Leatherhead and Wingnut be good guys now if they appeared in later TMNT episodes?

Like even as a kid, I cared about consistency and canon and whatnot, even though I probably didn't know the words back then.
I could easily see Leatherhead joining the Turtles' side, if the producers just gave him a good reason. After all, he fought the Rat King during Season 3 ("Leatherhead Meets the Rat King") but during Season 4 they had become allies ("Splinter Vanishes").
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #16
sighthound
Mouser

Yeah Hob missed a big opportunity. I really do want leatherhead to be a part of the team, I mean he was in the original mirage comics, and when slash left the team I thought he would replace him.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:47 PM   #17
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Is Leatherhead even still around in IDW? I'm a bit behind on the comics, but I haven't seen him since he ate Krang.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:39 AM   #18
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Is Leatherhead even still around in IDW? I'm a bit behind on the comics, but I haven't seen him since he ate Krang.
He... ATE.... Krang? Damn, I've been out of the loop.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #19
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Personally I feel it was all a matter of timing. Perhaps if the Archie comics Mutanimals spin-off had been concocted earlier on, the cartoon adaptation might have had a better chance. That being said though, I think it would've made better sense to have Bebop and Rocksteady become members of the Mutanimals rather than remain Shredder's henchmen. I always felt the reason they always failed was deep down they knew that they were on the wrong side.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:27 PM   #20
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I wish they made that Mighty Mutanimals series back then. We could've had Ninjara's animated debut on it.

The concept art of her animated design was also pretty cool in my opinion.