The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 01-20-2022, 04:31 PM   #1
The Deadman
Foot Elite

CDC: Vaccinated Americans with a prior infection fared the best during Delta

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...n-delta-527384

Americans who received their primary series of vaccines and previously contracted Covid-19 had the highest protection against reinfection and hospitalization during the Delta variant-fueled outbreak, according to a new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The study, published Wednesday, looked at four categories of people in New York and California — individuals who were unvaccinated with and without a prior infection and vaccinated people with and without a prior infection.

The study said protection against reinfection and hospitalization grew significantly among unvaccinated and vaccinated individuals who had previously contracted Covid-19 from the time period before the Delta variant emerged to after it became the dominant strain in the U.S. Prior infection provided better protection than vaccination alone during Delta. The case rates among the unvaccinated and vaccinated individuals with a previous diagnosis and without a previous diagnosis were relatively similar in the California population during the same time period.

The study did not explain why protection against reinfection and hospitalization grew among those individuals with a prior infection during Delta. During a call with reporters Wednesday, Benjamin Silk, a CDC scientist and one of the authors, did not explain the CDC’s thinking on to what degree a previous Covid-19 infection can protect against reinfection and hospitalization versus vaccination, but stressed that the agency continues to recommend all Americans receive their primary series and booster shots as soon as possible.

“A Covid vaccination helps protect by creating an antibody response without the person having to experience severe illness and death,” Silk said. “Vaccination provides safer protection.”

Eli Rosenberg, deputy director for science at the New York State Department of Health who helped with the study, said "the totality of the evidence suggests ... that both vaccination and having survived Covid each provide protection against subsequent infection and hospitalization." "Either of those provides protection, and only one of those is the safe choice that we would recommend. And that's vaccination," he said.

In a press statement, the agency said the results of the Delta study could not be compared to the Omicron strain but that it would release other studies focused on the new variant in the coming days.

“[The study] offers a framework for analyzing surveillance data that we know will help evaluate infection in vaccinated persons and reinfection as new variants like Omicron continue to emerge,” Silk said.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:02 PM   #2
Coola Yagami
Overlord

So like.... what we've been saying literally since day one, natural immunity for the win.

This is almost not new information.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:43 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And if you said this a few months ago on YouTube or Facebook you'd get banned. Disinformation.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:50 PM   #4
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The narrative is falling apart. They're trying to save face by pretending this is all new information that was recently discovered.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 01-21-2022, 01:32 AM   #5
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Well would you agree with the main thrust, that vaccination to gain immunity is better than having to recover from Covid? (and that's the earlier non Omicron variants I'm talking about here)

If you don't, you're an idiot.

I will agree that most of this isn't "new", but now studies show what has been suspected for quite a while.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:54 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Well, here's where I'm at. By "following the science." And not just what unelected bureaucrats are telling us that haven't seen any patients in decades.

* I agree the COVID vaccines provide protection against serious illness and hospitalization. And death, obviously. Really. "But hah! People are still kind of getting sick that got a vaccine!" Yes. Of course. But the ones dying from it after such generally were just a gentle shove away from such in their other pre-existing conditions. And if you're older, you may not see the same results with T and B cell immunity as someone younger. It is not an elixir. It is also not a conspiracy. Again, if the vaccines were fake this would be the most easiest debunked thing ever by anyone who knows how to use a microscope.

* Should people get the COVID vax? Yes. Especially if you're overweight or have some underlying condition. Or old.

* Should people be forced to take the vax? Absolutely not.

* Should we still do what we can to slow the spread? Maybe previously, for a bit. Now? There are papers coming out that suggest pretty credibly that we should do the opposite now with Omicron. We should speed up the spread. #1, this variant isn't killing anyone, #2, it's about 70% more infectious than Delta, and #3, if we do slow it from running its course we run the risk of another mutation that might skew more deadly (which is to say, more than "basically not at all"). Fortunately still, the way viruses that mutate tend to go historically is that they become more and more infectious but at the same time less and less deadly.

* Do I believe someone that has had COVID already has superior protection by getting vaccinated afterward? No. If anything, having already had COVID your T and B cell memory is stronger for actually having contracted said virus. A vaccination at that point is a textbook unnecessary medical procedure... largely to appease paranoid loons. And oddly, if you look at all of the interviews with Fauci over the last year or so, every time he's asked about natural immunity (meaning from having it and recovering) he just throws up his hands and pretends not to know anything about it. This guy, who's supposed to be the expert.

* Is it killing kids? Any variation of it? No. Less than 40 have died in the entire United States since the start of this that had no clear super detrimental condition already. Out of 330 million. This is not a crisis of kids by any stretch of the imagination. Consider this against the hundreds of kids who die of the traditional flu every year. Surely the flu would have (probably) killed these same 40 kids just the same.

* Is COVID a thing we should be worried about now? No. Get a vaccine if you're worried about it. Wear an N95 all the time if you're still worried about it regardless. No job is going to tell you that you can't wear one, mandate or not.

About a month or two after the vaccines were readily available and anyone that wanted one could take one is exactly the moment the government should have removed itself from the equation entirely. All that's left is a transparent need to cling to this emergency power to ram forward pretty much the entirety of the left wing agenda, because what better time than now.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-21-2022 at 02:29 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:43 AM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Well would you agree with the main thrust, that vaccination to gain immunity is better than having to recover from Covid? (and that's the earlier non Omicron variants I'm talking about here)

If you don't, you're an idiot.

I will agree that most of this isn't "new", but now studies show what has been suspected for quite a while.
No, because even before Omicron there were literally billions of people whose reaction to it was similar to Omicron. People seem to forget for every unlucky fellow that died there are literally millions in his/her place whose body treated it the way Omicron affects us now.