The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 09-14-2021, 12:42 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Norm Macdonald Dies: Influential Comedian & Former ‘SNL’ Weekend Update Anchor Was 61

Norm Macdonald, whose laconic delivery of sharp and incisive observations made him one of Saturday Night Live‘s most influential and beloved cast members, died today after a nine-year private battle with cancer. He was 61.

Macdonald’s death was announced to Deadline by his management firm Brillstein Entertainment. The comedian’s longtime producing partner and friend Lori Jo Hoekstra, who was with him when died, said Macdonald had been battling cancer for nearly a decade but was determined to keep his health struggles private, away from family, friends and fans.

“He was most proud of his comedy,” Hoekstra said. “He never wanted the diagnosis to affect the way the audience or any of his loved ones saw him. Norm was a pure comic. He once wrote that ‘a joke should catch someone by surprise, it should never pander.’ He certainly never pandered. Norm will be missed terribly.”

Macdonald was an SNL cast member from 1993-98, making his greatest impact as the anchor of the show’s “Weekend Update” segments for three seasons. Remembered both for his droll style — and for his refusal to go easy on O.J. Simpson despite reported pressure from NBC execs — Macdonald would prove one of the most impactful “Update” anchors, pivoting away from the slapstick approach of Chevy Chase and toward the more barbed political approach of his successor Colin Quinn.

Born on October 17, 1959, in Quebec City, Macdonald started his show business career in the comedy clubs of Canada, developing the deadpan style that would become both his trademark and a highly influential touchstone for a generation of comics. A contestant on Star Search in 1990, he was hired to write for Roseanne Barr’s sitcom Roseanne for the 1992-93 season before landing the coveted gig at NBC’s Saturday Night Live.

Among his most popular SNL bits was a gun-chomping impression of Burt Reynolds, complete with charming smile, bolo tie and attendant attitude.

Macdonald’s departure from the show was controversial in itself, and he often attributed his firing to his continued lambasting of Simpson as a murderer despite what he said was the displeasure of Don Ohlmeyer, president of NBC’s West Coast division, who Macdonald said was a friend of the former football great.

After leaving SNL in 1998, Macdonald starred in his own comedy series, The Norm Show, from 1999-2001. He also did a one-season talk show for Netflix, Norm Macdonald Has a Show, in 2018. He also earned a CableACE Award nomination as part of the writing team for the 1992 variety special Free to Laugh: A Comedy and Music Special for Amnesty International.

Over the years he made numerous appearances on various late-night shows, including Late Night With David Letterman and Conan, and had a recurring role on The Middle.

MORE TO COME…

https://deadline.com/2021/09/norm-ma...61-1234833212/
Old 09-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

WHAT THE ACTUAL F*CK, MAN.

God dammit. This sucks.

F*ck.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #3
IMJ
Emperor

Wow that's ashame. Absolutely didn't expect to read this headline at all. 61.... Man.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #4
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Norm was a marvelous entertainer and comedian, it's perfectly understandable he kept this matter private. Lot of tributes in already, from Letterman, Conan, studios, and SNL alumni. Keep them laughing in heaven, Norm.
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:15 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Damn. There's a headline I wasn't expecting to read for many years to come. I loved his kind of comedy and loved him in the very underappreciated "Dirty Work."

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

I shall always remember him as a pigeon.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #7
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
What the...?

...sh*t...

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:20 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

This might have been his best work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKZGfB-aiao

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:54 PM   #9
AquaParade
Banned

Came as a shock to me and truly bums me out. Seems all too soon.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:17 PM   #10
Xav
Foot Elite

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

More gems:

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:58 PM   #12
ChosenOne
Banned

The best joke Norm ever told was Hillary Clinton.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:14 PM   #13
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I'll never forget the sketch he did on SNL where he played a coma patient waking up with amnesia and he woke up only to discover that his wife (played by Cheri Oteri) is frumpy and dorky looking, while his sister (played by Elle Macpherson) is a hawt babe. I dunno how he did it, but somehow Norm just made those incest jokes funny. Then again it was still the early 2000s when I watched it and most people didn't have large sticks up their @$$ yet! RIP, Mr. MacDonald. Rest easy!!!

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote