The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 10-06-2021, 12:01 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Around 2003 or so, there was this one time where the entire Internet was down for an entire day due to some virus or something.
That can't be true, can it? It wasn't just your particular ISP?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #22
sdp
Megan Fox = April

It's not true, and technically impossible to bring down the entire internet. There might've been a major outage.

It's ironic seeing people complain about facebook and/or social media using those same platforms to complain. Nothing the whistleblower said is anything we didn't already know. I don't think Facebook is the problem, the real problem is dumb people using the internet and using social media. They are literally too stupid and fall for their algorithms. The traditional internet is in a sad state but it's the user that's caused this.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #23
Sumac
Banned

People deserve Internet, which they made.

I, personally, hate social networks, since they have exuberated a lot of problem in humans and in particular new generations, such as egoism, vanity, aggrandizing and such. Not to mention made it easier for states and corporations to track people.

While I'd like to see them to go away, it is unrealistic. So the best hope is that people will learn how to handle this **** without becoming total self-absorbed assholes.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This is pretty insidious, though. This "whistleblower" has donated tons of money to the far left and previously made a living pointing out all the things that are "Racist" and "problematic."

What this is is a big Trojan Horse to stamp out (conservative) free speech. She gets in the door talking about girls on Instagram killing themselves, which even Republicans would widely get behind... but soon enough it becomes "we need to stamp out hate speech on FB, too!" without ever defining what that is. Which is the main goal. It's not about girls killing themselves or even destroying FB, it's about regulating FB so that only leftist stuff is allowed.

Watch.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:54 PM   #25
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This is pretty insidious, though. This "whistleblower" has donated tons of money to the far left and previously made a living pointing out all the things that are "Racist" and "problematic."

What this is is a big Trojan Horse to stamp out (conservative) free speech. She gets in the door talking about girls on Instagram killing themselves, which even Republicans would widely get behind... but soon enough it becomes "we need to stamp out hate speech on FB, too!" without ever defining what that is. Which is the main goal. It's not about girls killing themselves or even destroying FB, it's about regulating FB so that only leftist stuff is allowed.

Watch.
Exactly all this. This is what the Lunatic Left wants... censoring speech they disagree with, aka censoring the Truth of their widespread fraud & straight up ludicrous bullsh!t.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:03 PM   #26
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

A website shat the bed for a matter of hours, so you guys are victims political conspiracy.

Okay.

IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:15 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
A website shat the bed for a matter of hours, so you guys are victims political conspiracy.
It's not a conspiracy when she's literally saying she wants to be in charge of FB. Because she is. She's telling us her intentions in black and white. And her stance on the ever nebulous "hate speech"? A simple matter of record.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:19 AM   #28
Banned

so glad i deleted that worthless, toxic social media platform before biden took office. nothing but commies, nevertrumpers and commie propaganda on facebook. it got really annoying when it flooded my newsfeed with mask ads, opportunists wanting to profit off people’s fear of the caronnavirus. gotta admit tho it was fun trolling mask ads, alot of people would bombard their comments section with anti-mask memes and comments. worthless face coverings ads were smeared all over fb leading up to the 2020 election.
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:59 AM   #29
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
That can't be true, can it? It wasn't just your particular ISP?
No, it was very much true, it was a worldwide DDoS attack...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-da...nternet-broke/

As the article also states, there'd also been an earlier one in 2001 called Code Red. I recall both occurring for sure. Code Red definitely affected the place I was working at the time.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:01 AM   #30
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It's not true, and technically impossible to bring down the entire internet. There might've been a major outage.
See my reply above. If the DNS servers are being hammered by DDoS, then lots of people aren't going to be able to go anywhere online. Admittedly the impact today of such a thing would be magnitudes higher than it was 20 years back.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Facebook changing its name to "Meta."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/28/tech/...nts/index.html

"A rebranding could be part of an effort to overhaul Facebook's reputation and turn the page following a series of PR nightmares, including misinformation on its platforms, content moderation failures and revelations about the negative effect its products have on some users' mental health" says CNN.

Utter nonsense.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:38 PM   #32
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

"A rebranding could be part of an effort to overhaul Facebook's reputation and turn the page following a series of PR nightmares, including misinformation on its platforms, content moderation failures and revelations about the negative effect its products have on some users' mental health" says CNN.

Utter nonsense.
That makes me think of Ron Artest, aka "Metta World Peace." (and apparently, he's now "Metta Sandiford-Artest."

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:07 PM   #33
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:

Utter nonsense.
I think "Irony" would be a more fitting name change.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #34
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Facebook isn't changing it's name, just the company similarly to how Google changed its name to Alphabet, google is still google and people still call the company google despite it being legally "alphabet". This is done mostly since they have more than one product they want to associate the name meta with, they own Instagram, Whatsapp an Oculus among others.

This also shows Facebook is doubling down on VR which is great news since the name is taken from the metaverse which is one of the cool Blockchain NFT projects that people in crypto are excited about, me included. Early metaverse feels like the early internet, a whole new world to explore.

Last edited by sdp; 10-28-2021 at 02:52 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:47 PM   #35
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

So can we start using the phrase, "That's so Meta." in reference to Facebook...um...quirks?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote