The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 11-21-2017, 10:09 PM   #61
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

The italian mafia, they were used enough but they had a lot of potential, wish they had been used more and had an actual plot against the turtles besides the anti-mutant one.
I'm surprised the whole anti mutagen weapons weren't carried over during the final battle with Shredder hell during the last mafia episode before Shredder's death I thought Leo was going to find an anti mutagen blade or something.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I feel the kraang didn't get a satisfying finale, they deserved better.
The Kraang literally got around 3-4 finales, depending if you count their appearances in the space arc as well in Season 4. I think we saw more than enough of them. Kraang subprime literally "dies" about 4 different times too. I liked the fact that the Triceratons killed Kraang Prime though. Makes sense to see a bigger alien threat take care of them.

Quote:
Karai's partner, we never learned much about her, I don't even remember her name (shimigami?)
Shinigami's name was mentioned tons of times, what do you mean? Everyone else remembered her name. As for her past she was just Karai's friend from Japan, I wish they made them into lesbian lovers.

Quote:
Hun/The Purple Dragons, what was the purpose of introducing Bruce Lee Hun if they barely did anything with him? He had potential, in fact I don't think he ever straight up fought the turtles. Same with the Purple Dragons, were they a gang or just those 4 dudes? Also remember when that one purple dragon helped Leo in the first season? That never went anywhere.
Hun got two major episodes in Season 3, his debut episode and then the second episode he appeared in. His only Season 4 appearances were brief, he appeared in one of the first eps after the space arc ended where Leo/Karai/Shinigami defeated him. He appeared for like 2 seconds in a montage in the Wingnut/Screwloose ep showing them beat him up. Then his last appearance is the episode where April gets controlled by the Aeon crystal/alien and goes evil, and she knocks Hun against a car. That was his last appearance.

I get the feeling the Nick writers never wanted to use Hun but just included him because of fans and they made him into a totally different character anyway so it didn't matter. And yes in this show the Purple Dragons were just the same 3 guys from Season 1 and then Hun. Unlike the 4kids show where there was like 40 of them.

Quote:
The italian mafia, they were used enough but they had a lot of potential, wish they had been used more and had an actual plot against the turtles besides the anti-mutant one.

Russian arms guy, yeah he became Rocksteady but he appeared since Season 1 and he had a lot of potential as well to give the turtles more stories.
I get the feeling the Russian Arms guy wasn't even planned to be Rocksteady at first, then they just decided that by Season 2 when Bebop was introduced.

In general though I do agree there should have been more human enemies, I'm just glad we got the Mobsters, Purple Dragons and got to see Bradford/Xever and Rocksteady/Bebop as humans for a few eps before they mutated.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #63
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I get the feeling the Nick writers never wanted to use Hun but just included him because of fans and they made him into a totally different character anyway so it didn't matter. And yes in this show the Purple Dragons were just the same 3 guys from Season 1 and then Hun. Unlike the 4kids show where there was like 40 of them.
The show only had the budget for Fong, Tsoi, and Sid to actually appear. But They sort of imply that there are more members to the purple dragons aside from the triad we see though.

For example in Mousers Attack, April says her phone was stolen by one of the Purple Dragons. It’s possible she didn’t see who it was, but if there were only three Purple Dragons she would have been able to say who had taken it. Also Fong tells Dogpound that one of their boys had taken it instead of saying ‘Sid took this phone from a friend of those Turtles.’
Old 11-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #64
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
I get the feeling the Russian Arms guy wasn't even planned to be Rocksteady at first, then they just decided that by Season 2 when Bebop was introduced.
Nickelodeon Bebop and Rocksteady felt forced, but were the most well-written versions of them!

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 11-23-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #65
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

It was especially nice to wrap up Nick Bebop and Rocksteady by making them meet the characters who literally created them in the Ninja turtles lore.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #66
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
It was especially nice to wrap up Nick Bebop and Rocksteady by making them meet the characters who literally created them in the Ninja turtles lore.
I liked the "mama!" thing.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #67
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

No idea if it's been mentioned already, but this morning I just remembered that lizard lady in the photo belonging to... well, I can't recall his name right now, but the detective guy. (Had hoped it would expand more on him, too.)

Would have been cool to give her some backstory. Esp seeing as she was probably the only regular female mutant of the entire show, even if just a photo. (All the other girls are either non-mutants, alien, human-looking alien hybrid, or mutant who still generally looks human. Dammit why can't girls be real regular mutants?! lol)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #68
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
No idea if it's been mentioned already, but this morning I just remembered that lizard lady in the photo belonging to... well, I can't recall his name right now, but the detective guy. (Had hoped it would expand more on him, too.)

Would have been cool to give her some backstory. Esp seeing as she was probably the only regular female mutant of the entire show, even if just a photo. (All the other girls are either non-mutants, alien, human-looking alien hybrid, or mutant who still generally looks human. Dammit why can't girls be real regular mutants?! lol)
The character you can’t recall is Kurtzman. As for that random mutant woman he was love interests with, she was likely just there as a sight gag.

But also some bolster to the Don O’Neil relationship considering Raph is the one reacting to the image where as Mikey is looking at it as though saying “I don’t get it.”

Most of the time when it comes to Donnie’s feelings towards April, Leo and Mikey have been supportive and tollerent of it. Not because they believe that the relationship will go anywhere, but because April is someone who makes their brother happy. And they don’t feel they have the right to ruin that or take that away from him.

Raph on the other hand sees the whole thing as delusional and the only result would be their brothers heart being broken. So he has tried to get Donnie to see that April is never going to return his feelings or love him the way he wishes because he’s a mutant, and she is a girl (also a mutant, but more human than Donnie would ever be). But seeing that photo of that mutant woman in an obvious sexual relationship with Kurtzman is a huge surprise for Raph because it shows a human can love a mutant.

As cool as Kurtzman was as a character, it would have been awesome to see more about him since there was obviously more to him then what met the eye, and maybe future lore of this franchise may do something more with him. But in this series he was meant to only have a small number of appearances since Robert Forester would be a hard actor for Nick to get a hold of.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:01 PM   #69
CyberCubed
Overlord

Kurtzman was really only there to provide some slight backstory on the Kraang. Besides that and him forming the Mutanimals, he had no real purpose after which is why he didn't appear again after Season 3.

I sort of liked him if only because he was one of the few human friends of the Turtles in the series, same for the blind Asian chef guy Mr. Murakami...the Turtles can always use more human friends.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #70
Overlord

Quote:
I sort of liked him if only because he was one of the few human friends of the Turtles in the series, same for the blind Asian chef guy Mr. Murakami...the Turtles can always use more human friends.
I want some ordinary Earth-human friends to balance the fantastic science fiction stuff with. Just like street-level thugs and extraterrestrials also balance each other.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:15 PM   #71
Glitter Wand
Thug

I kind of wish they expanded on what happened to Pigeon Pete. My guess is he was removed from the team for doing something that put their patrol and existence in jeopardy. At least he is still alive.

"You need a recon flyby? I'm the birdman for the job! Pigeon Pete's ago!" - Pete
Glitter Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:09 AM   #72
victory_angel
Foot Elite

The whole Dark April thing could have been better utilized and the final product could have gone on for at least three episodes.

Episode 1 could start with April first being possessed. Donnie stays with Splinter to figure out a way to break the crystals connection to April. Then at the end of the Episode, the other Turtles see Donnie rushing towards April. They catch hold of him and tell him that isn't April anymore, and it's too dangerous to go near her. Raph then lunge-hugs Donnie (I.e Hugs Donnie the same way Mikey and Leo hug Raph to calm him down) to get him to calm down.

Episode 2 could begin with a flashback of Leo talking to Donnie about his infatuation with April. This ends with Leo saying "I just don't want to see you get hurt." Then everything plays out with the Turtles trying to stop April, at some point Donnie finds the opportunity to slip away from his brothers and succeeds in reaching her. The episode ends with him being killed off and everyone reacting to it.

Episode 3 Recap on Donnie's death, all the Turtles mourn the loss of their brother and return to the lair to regroup since they are emotionally compromised at the moment. Karai is summoned to assist. She agrees with Raphael that April is likely gone and she was too dangerous to live. Mikey and Leo, however, point out Donnie did reach April even if it was for a moment that proved she wasn't completely gone. Splinter is neutral and believes that if it was possible to save April they would do it. However, if they absolutely had to, they would destroy her. Everything plays out with the Turtles trying to restrain and reach April. April attempts to cleanse Raphael when he yells out "Remember Donnie", this breaks April free of the control the Aeon held on her enabling her to defeat Za-noran before collapsing in exhaustion afterward. When April comes too she at is surrounded by her adoptive family, but then remembers what she had been forced to do. That's when she notices some purple sparks by the remains of the crystal and says that Donnie wasn't killed off just molecularly scattered. She uses the crystals focusing power to restore Donnie, and it ends with April running into Donnie's arms and saying that she loves him. The two share a kiss in the background as Raph just smiles and says "It's about time."

Heart of Evil also could have been a good Raph/Donnie centered episode. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact there is finally a Leo/Donnie bonding episode. But this episode felt like it would have taken the events from Mutant Gangland full circle.

In Mutant Gangland, Raph acts out in anger and then drags Donnie into the argument. This causes Donnie to voice what everyone else was thinking which is that his jealousy towards Leo is old and childish. Raph then uses this as justification as to why he should leave. Donnie goes after Raph to convince him to come home and is captured because he chose to loyally stay at Raph's side when they were in danger.

So in Heart of Evil, it would have been a role reversal to have Raph being the sensible one and Donnie being the reactionary one. It would have given Raph a bold face look at what his brothers see whenever he flies off the handle. So when he stops Donnie from killing Vizioso he would say "Donnie, stop! This guy is scum I understand that, but this isn't you! If you take his life you would not only destroy yourself and everything you stand for, you'll also be proving were the monsters he says we are! Is that what you want?"
Old 09-02-2018, 12:22 AM   #73
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

If I had to pick any one thing (besides far better explaining the events preceding the finale), it's still April's mom. Man I wish the Turtles had found her while they were out in space, bringing her home, now a battle hardened badass from having lived many years in the middle of wars far off in the universe, fighting to find her way home but it remained lost to her until she and the Turtles cross paths. It could have been so epic.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:09 AM   #74
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
If I had to pick any one thing (besides far better explaining the events preceding the finale), it's still April's mom. Man I wish the Turtles had found her while they were out in space, bringing her home, now a battle hardened badass from having lived many years in the middle of wars far off in the universe, fighting to find her way home but it remained lost to her until she and the Turtles cross paths. It could have been so epic.
It would've been cool if she maybe appeared in the Mutant Apocalypse instead of Mira as an unrecognizable alien (due to the Kraang experiments in the past) who is ally to the turtles. Maybe reveal her true identity towards the end.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #75
miru
Mad Scientist

I’m hoping Amazing Adventures gets revived to deal with all these hanging threads. The Mutanimals could get Alopex, Bigfoot’s kids, Malachi, Kurtzman’s sweetie, Zemo, Ace Duck, and maybe the Punk Frogs to side with them as new members, to take out the Chimera (still at large), the gangsters, and more. And also, what became of Ace Duck (not to mention other possible Foot rejects), the last parasitic wasp, and the last mushroom kid? And maybe Vic could become a retromutagen salesman, distributing it to other humans-turned-mutants? And how will Muckman help mutantkind go public? Will the TMNT have to simply hide their ninja lives from the world, not their existence? Could Pizza Face be linked to the Dream Beavers and/or Neutrinos somehow?

I was disappointed they never bothered with a 2k3 crossover, either. At least a cameo would have been worth it. I wanted to see the link between KSP and Ch'rell, if applicable. And what happened to those Space Turtle alternates? Will they meet Cudley? Could this universe even be Cudley's native one?

Last edited by miru; 09-02-2018 at 12:13 PM.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #76
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
I was disappointed they never bothered with a 2k3 crossover, either. At least a cameo would have been worth it. I wanted to see the link between KSP and Ch'rell, if applicable. And what happened to those Space Turtle alternates? Will they meet Cudley? Could this universe even be Cudley's native one?
The only thing I really see happening in a 2k12/2k3 cross over is 2k12 Donnie drooling over 2k3 Donatello's lab. Though they could make a reference to Turtles's forever.

2k3 Raph-You guys better not be like those clownish versions of ourselves.

2k12 Raph- You guys met those guys too, huh?
Old 09-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #77
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
2k3 Raph-You guys better not be like those clownish versions of ourselves.

2k12 Raph- You guys met those guys too, huh?
Needs to happen.

Spoiler:
But then in walks 2018, proving even the clownish behavior depicted of '87 can be outdone. For the win!

At which point 2003 and 2012 throw up there hands saying, "Nope, I'm not doing this."
Old 09-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #78
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Needs to happen.

Spoiler:
But then in walks 2018, proving even the clownish behavior depicted of '87 can be outdone. For the win!

At which point 2003 and 2012 throw up there hands saying, "Nope, I'm not doing this."
Spoiler:
And then the 1997 versions walk in... At which point the 2018 versions have a staring contest with them. And then the 1984 comic turtles meet the 1989, 1995, and 2011 comic versions, before looking at the 2003 comic versions with scorn. The rejected 2000 animated versions take a stroll in the background... And then we see the 1990, 2007, and 2014 film versions, of which the 2007 film turtles enter the same room as the 1987, 2003, 2012, and 2018 Turtles as the 1997 ones make their exit.

And then the 2003 Turtles point out that sapient mutants are unusual in their world. And the 2012 ones point out that they also met Usagi.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:28 PM   #79
victory_angel
Foot Elite

The name of Doc Ferrall named dropped in Mutant Gangland and was meant to be a reference to Doctor Victor Oban Feral from the TMNT RPG.

While we do have Dr. Victor Falco before he became the Rat King being a caricature of Dr. Feral.

What I read about Dr. Feral's character it's almost a shame that he wasn't brought it as an enemy in season five. The best way to describe is his character is that he is the antithesis of Donnie and everything he stands for.

Dr. Feral also has two mutant servants. Karl a mutant rabbit is, in short, an evil clone of Donnie. And Igor a mutant Rat is arguably even more dangerous than Karl.

It would have been interesting to see the turtles deal with actual scientific villains that could pose even more of a threat then Falco and more competent than Stockman. Particularly since he has a penchant for vivisecting mutants who have high intellects and/or psychic powers because he feels it furthers his research.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #80
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
The name of Doc Ferrall named dropped in Mutant Gangland and was meant to be a reference to Doctor Victor Oban Feral from the TMNT RPG.

While we do have Dr. Victor Falco before he became the Rat King being a caricature of Dr. Feral.

What I read about Dr. Feral's character it's almost a shame that he wasn't brought it as an enemy in season five. The best way to describe is his character is that he is the antithesis of Donnie and everything he stands for.

Dr. Feral also has two mutant servants. Karl a mutant rabbit is, in short, an evil clone of Donnie. And Igor a mutant Rat is arguably even more dangerous than Karl.

It would have been interesting to see the turtles deal with actual scientific villains that could pose even more of a threat then Falco and more competent than Stockman. Particularly since he has a penchant for vivisecting mutants who have high intellects and/or psychic powers because he feels it furthers his research.
Feral's apparently not owned by Viacom, but Kevin Simbieda, one of his creators. They could always have Eastman try to track down him and his rights to use him. And I agree, if we ever get him back, he could become a Doctor Weil for the franchise. Especially if we ever have an MMZ-ish uneasy co-existence at some point.

Tags
cybercucked