The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 12-12-2020, 07:16 AM   #1
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

For those who have a non-english version on TV, what do you hate about the dub?

Well this is a clip from the Dutch dub which showcases the voices the Dutch version has for its cast.

The stand outs are Leonardo and Michelangelo, who sound VERY alike to Jason Biggs and Greg Cipes respectively.

But that's where the good news ends because I started the HATE the Dutch dub for a couple of reasons.

- The translation is lousy, taking "I think his name is Baxter Stockman" as an example. The Dutch term for being grounded is "House arrest" and for some reason they decided to go for "Stay indoors" Or in "Foot's too big" when Raph encounters Bigfoot at the bathroom and the latter said she "Made waste", it was translated into "Dumped trash" but it SHOULD have said "Made a big shopping trip" (Een grote boodschap) the common Dutch description for having taken a dump.
- For some reason they decided to have one of the voice cast say the title of the episode in Dutch which is mixed in rather loudly over the already ongoing dialog of the episode. Certainly with episodes such as "The Manhattan project" where key lines are being said right at the start, this is distracting.
- Leo and Baxter Stockman are voiced by the same guy, and he doesn't really put in much effort to make both those roles sound different from the other, which in scenes which has them both sounds really confusing.

That's what I hate about the Dutch Dub of the 2012 series...

Last edited by The Great Saiyaman; 12-12-2020 at 07:33 AM.
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

I have never watched the Swedish dub and, given that my DVDs are the UK edition and my "other" sources are the English edition as well, I will probably never watch it. I suspect however that I would hate because almost every swedish dub of virtually every cartoon is done by a small pool of a handful of actors, meaning I would probably hear a bunch of voices identical to several dozens of other shows. Not that it matters because the the only way I would watch a cartoon in Swedish these days is if it's originally in Swedish or I simply couldn't find any subtitles if it's in any other language than English (or Norwegian I guess).
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
nylemon

I watched some 2k12 episodes of Taiwanese Mandarin dub, which is lousy too, the tune of Taiwanese Mandarin has a tone of idol drama. This is an common issue not only for TMNT, in Halo game of Taiwanese version Marines sound like some idol from a boys group too.
edit: Now I remember the 2k12 was imported to mainland and that is directly imported from Taiwan.

Besides the 2k3 which is imported in mainland China by national channel, movie casters for dub, that is solid dub, they are pretty good. They have some sound issues but not the voice casters.

I think the difference is that in 90s and 2000s mainland China has no things such as children's market, things are cool and not childish. What impress me most is Snoopy that I can only follow the Chinese version even than the origin English version.

Last edited by nylemon; 12-13-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I have never watched the Swedish dub and, given that my DVDs are the UK edition and my "other" sources are the English edition as well, I will probably never watch it. I suspect however that I would hate because almost every swedish dub of virtually every cartoon is done by a small pool of a handful of actors, meaning I would probably hear a bunch of voices identical to several dozens of other shows. Not that it matters because the the only way I would watch a cartoon in Swedish these days is if it's originally in Swedish or I simply couldn't find any subtitles if it's in any other language than English (or Norwegian I guess).
Here are the voice actors in Swedish:

1987 cartoon (there are two dubs, one for television from 1990 and another for home video from 1991):

https://www.dubbningshemsidan.se/credits/turtles/

2003 cartoon

https://www.dubbningshemsidan.se/credits/turtles-2003/

2012 cartoon

https://www.dubbningshemsidan.se/credits/turtles-2012/

2007 CGI movie:

https://www.dubbningshemsidan.se/credits/tmnt-turtles/
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote