The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > Announcement Forums > The Technodrome News

Notices

Old 09-18-2004, 07:41 PM   #1
Splinter
Radical Rat

Playmates: Winter 2004 - More Turtle Variants!!

Well what do you know.... Playmates is doing 'more' Turtle variants. This time we're getting 'Ripped-Up' and 'Ninja Knights'. The ripped up ones appear to feature the first time that bending elbow joints will be featured, and it seems to be carried over onto the Knight figures. The Turtle Tunnler is also showcased, as is the Hover Chopper. I do have to step off my praise for Playmates just slightly to offer some commentary. Just as I did with the Baxter figure.

I love variants of the four main turtle figures. It allows Playmates some freedom to do something purely fun for the kids. With that in mind, I really have to say I'm not impressed here. The elbow joints are the only thing really good about these. When there is still show accurate variants that could be made, these capture nothing from the show, and arn't even fun and imaginative as the Space or Scuba Turtles. Shame they are going this direction, when Purple Dragon Turtles could be done and so much more popular.

The opinion posted here is mine and mine alone. It is not the opinion of the Technodrome or it's Administration. I love Playmates and I love TMNT. But I cannot be objective when I feel that they're not doing all they could, to give fans what they want. I understand that this line is produced with children in mind. But the cartoon series is basically a built-in commercial for the toys. Use what it gives you, and you'll make everyone happy.

Follow the link to American Dream Comics for Pictures:

http://americandreamcomics.com/index...20&itemid=4430

R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - New Episode Guide
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

well these are cool for who the kids right..well hmmm...they obviously don't like them much either because...well let's see all I ever see sitting on the damn shelves are turtles....and maybe that horrid splinter figure.
I'm really sorry to say this but if this line doesnt start looking better soon and not like it came from some asian sweat shop..I'm going to stop buying turtles and it just makes me mad because i've been suporting this line since it first started double time with buying everything that came out..box versions....exclusives....well atlease I'll always have the classic line....
this is a really sad day...playmates isn't even trying anymore.
I know everyone hates differnt turtle versions but atleast in the old ine each figure had a brand new sculpt....things have really gone down the crapper....I don't know whats sadder me not liking this new stuff much....or the fact that almost no one can see how bad it is and just goes ooo it's new and c ahracter I like....so seriously people should strive for greatness and not half assed things....we'd be nowhere if we walked around being that way all the time.
I'm sorry for ranting I'm just really upset...but this is just me.
-Vaughn Michael
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:51 PM   #3
tOkKa
tOkKie-Pokie,puddin'n PIE

Location: Pajamas out of the water on the elephant was sweating a lemon.
..ding ding ~~**

-->> The kninights TMNTs look fancy like summin' outta a bad 1980s rock video..

.. or at least fancy 'nuff to serve in the cat food dish..

WWEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIRRDD@!!!!

!!terrible2z/GGM!!/T.G.R.I./ ..モンスターのカメを解読しなさい。
tOkKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:59 PM   #4
Triceraton
Foot Soldier

The problem here is, if you're not going to be episode accurate, then at least make the variants visually interesting. These ones are not accurate nor interesting, especially the Ripped Up Turtles.

However, if the Ninja Knight Turtles really do have bending elbows, and that armor is removable, I'll probably get them.

I don't think the problem is that kids don't buy the Turtles variants, the problem is they're shipped in larger amounts and tend to sit larger than non-variants... wait, that's not really a problem. The variants sit longer than the rest, but they do sell. I've seen plenty of kids and parents with Turtles variants in their hands. Remember, the point of variants is to keep fresh and new versions of the TMNT out there, because they will always be the most popular characters.

All things considered, while I would prefer episode accurate variants, Playmates is doing a good job with character selection on the non-variant figures, and making them readily available. That's more than can be said for most other lines out there. Now those figures may have other issues, but that's a different subject completely.
Triceraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:59 PM   #5
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

I wish they'd take the money they're investing in these variant turtle figures that have nothing to do with the show, and are just the Fighting Gear turtles with new armor, and give each figure better articulation.

That, IMO, would make the like SO much better.
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:11 AM   #6
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

What the hell Playmates?

MORE stupid variants, and they're not even new figures, simply retools.

At least they were trying with the old line...This just plain sucks.
Mecha Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 05:21 AM   #7
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

...I think I chose the wrong path in life. It's become very obvious that being a toy designer is the easiest job in the world.

"Hey, I've got an idea for the next wave of Ninja Turtle figures!"
"What's that?"
"Okay. So we make minor alterations to the Fighting Gear sculpts, slap a few pieces of cheap silver armour on them, and call then 'Ninja Knights'!"
"Brilliant! Anything else?"
"Um... Turtles that.... lift weights, I guess. Give them those weightlifting belts and some gloves or something."
"Another winner!! And for your hard work, here's a cheque for fifty thousand dollars!"
"Boo-yah! Time to go buy a solid gold hat!"

And with that, I offer my own ideas for the concepts of over-muscled and armour-wearing Turtle assortments:

1) Actually Ripped-Up Turtles! Turtles with a freakish abundance of muscles and pop-out veins, and slightly tattered headbands and elbow/knee pads to show they're hardcore and eXtreme and whatnot. As for a backstory, either they were 'pumped up' by Utrom technology, or just took steroids. Let's just say the former.

2) Samurai Turtles! Because seriously, why on earth would the Turtles dress up as knights!? These ones come with extensive removable body armour and some fresh samurai-themed weaponry. If kids still go for that ninja thing, I'm pretty sure they'll dig the samurai stuff as well.

And hey, why not toss an assortment of Turtles wearing removable trenchcoats and fedoras, while you're at it? I'm pretty sure they've gotta go topside now and then, and people just like trenchcoats. Instant best seller!

I'm tired after all that.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:40 AM   #8
ChibiJaime
Thug

Since I was a little girl, setting up Transformers, My Little Ponies, and Donatello (he was the only one my big brother would let me play with, the poop... not that I'm complaining, as Don's always been my favorite) in war dances around Barbies tied to bottle rockets (he was nice enough to provide and work the rockets, at least... geez, I hated Barbie), I've been used to seeing the variant Turtles... true enough, at least the old ones were really trying, but still.

A very wise (and very weird) professor once told me: "There is nothing new under the sun."

As hard as they try to make new and better TMNT figures, they're really going to just run out of ideas and start doing general repaints (similar to simple repaints of famous anime characters... I personally have a "cool black mode! :o" repaint of Vash the Stampede, and a "gunbattle cool! :o" repaint of Nicholas D. Wolfwood... the exact same figures, just different colors with some very slight modifications).

Aside from that, little kids like the "new and redone" idea. They don't see the fact that it's the exact same as Turtle Exhibit A, just with armor on. They see it as "hey, it's Raphael!" or "hey, it's Mikey!".

Personally, I'm lookin' into getting some of the nonmainstream figures I've seen them have up.

*decides to beg friends for Usagi figure for birthday*
Old 09-19-2004, 05:44 AM   #9
Quiller-Bee
Hench Mutant

One thing's for certain, I'll be taking a pass on all of these figures. When done well, variants can occasionally be a good thing. However, as far as I'm concerned, Playmates has missed the mark on the Turtles line thus far.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:17 AM   #10
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiller-Bee
One thing's for certain, I'll be taking a pass on all of these figures. When done well, variants can occasionally be a good thing. However, as far as I'm concerned, Playmates has missed the mark on the Turtles line thus far.
you know it's not even that for me....this is really starting to bug the living hell out of me now...and it must be said..I'm sorry but it must!
Playmates took a chance the first time around with this line ok and they did a smashing job and the line was bashed on drawings and a show...and some how they pulled of little works of art...what we have before us is crimes of art.....playmates have become like the andy warhall of action figures....lord this has got me so down..cause I'm like craazzzyy for this line....or well atleast I was untill now.
Playmates ur breakin my heart here. why playmates why
it's not even the fact that they are using the same bodies that even ok...I guess....but i mean hell come on be a bit more creative....the turtles line was one of the most inovative kids lines of the 80's....and now to me there just cold turtle soup.
I miss when playmates wasn't scared to take a chance on this line.
-Vaughn Michael
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:21 AM   #11
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Yea, those Ripped up turtles are hilarious...they're not even ripped up!!! they just come with some lame looking weights...where did they get this idea from, i mean for real? Oh well, we all knew when the turtle figs came back out we would be getting countless variants like back in the day..but yea, at least back then they were always new scultps..but still just as useless (birthday turtles anyone?).....at least though Playmates isnt doin what matel is doing with Batman...now that would really SUCK..
Old 09-19-2004, 10:39 AM   #12
Y2Bogus
Foot Soldier

Oh my God, the hands! They don't have hinged hands! I will buy them all!
Y2Bogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 12:07 PM   #13
JDavis
Foot Soldier

I don't think I'll be buying these variants. At least not unless I get really heavy with the collecting.

In fact, unless they make some show-accurate variants (like the turtles in the outfits they used to infiltrate the Purple Dragons, or with their breather things, prison tatoos, energy handcuff things, and make-shift weapons from the Turtles In Space eps) I don't see myself buying any.

Everyone should read MNT Gaiden, by Tigerfog
JDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 12:27 PM   #14
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

am i the only one who hates....absoulty hates......the armorized turtles head skulpt they all look constipated or pissed that theire outta peanut butter and chocolate fudge pizza....terible....

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 02:08 PM   #15
MasterMole
Foot Soldier

When I heard of the Ripped UP Turtles, I thought of large muscular Turtles.
This is very disappointing; They're just first wave turtles with weights packed with them. How sad. Another toy company has to take over before it's too late. A large protest has to occurr against Playmates to tell them how we feel.
TMNT are Cool. I anticipate buying the next toy(I hope) and watching the next episode. Will a company please give the Proper DVD release to the current and classic Turtles cartoons? Playmates Toys: Shape Up, OR feast on my large,lumpy,hairy MOLE, then Back Off!
MasterMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 06:12 PM   #16
Triceraton
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Another toy company has to take over before it's too late.
Like who?

Mattel- If these guys got the line, it'd be so much worse than it is with Playmates it really would be worth complaining about...

Hasbro- Just as bad. If it's not Star Wars, they don't care about it.

Toy Biz- Like Mattel, we'd have bad case packs and less main characters. Plus we'd have way too much articulation. Hinge hands? That'd be the least of the articulation troubles.

And that's it, since the line would definitely go to a large, mainstream toy company. Given the options, I'm very glad Playmates has this license, even if the figures aren't as good as they could be, the line could easily be worse as well.
Triceraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 06:13 PM   #17
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceraton
Quote:
Another toy company has to take over before it's too late.
Like who?
Mego.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 06:22 PM   #18
Y2Bogus
Foot Soldier

They're falling into the same trap Mattel and Toybiz are in. Just redecos of the main characters. Luckily there are 4 in TMNT, but it is starting to get annoying. Aside from the obvious in fixing the ratios, they should also spread out the variants more. Like instead of having every wave with its own sets of variants, why not just release 1 or 2 Turtle variants in each wave. Like having a variant Leo and Don in one wave, and a variant Mike and Raph in the subsequent wave. I know they have to keep the big 4 on the shelves at all times, but there are ways to do it that don't result in pegs and pegs of variants. Hasbro is probably one of the best at making case ratios. Their Transformers and GI Joe lines have assortments that very few people have complained about. I can walk into just about any Target or Walmart and find any current TF or Joe figure. TMNT was like that in the earlier waves, but now it's getting more difficult. Other than the ratios, I'm pretty darn well pleased with the line. I was starting to get annoyed by the figures with the hinged hands, but it seems I have been placated. So just a bit of tweaking with the assortments, and I'd wager a lot of us would be happier. I'll also say that Playmates has been very good about listening to fan concerns, much moreso than Toybiz and Mattel.
Y2Bogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 11:14 PM   #19
Orochi Chimera
Mad Scientist

They are taking on a lot of stuff(like King Kong,Atomic Betty etc). That's probably why the TMNT toys are getting worse.

Read here:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...868&EDATE=

They are making a lot of money.

Orochi Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 07:17 AM   #20
LAXtitan99
Hench Mutant

I'd love to see MacFarlane take a stab at some TMNT figs...the only way I see this happening is if a 4th movie comes out and they do a series ALA the matrix movie figs.

MacFarlane turtles would rock...so sad it'll never happen...ho hum
LAXtitan99 is offline   Reply With Quote