The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-03-2022, 09:02 PM   #81
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I mean it wouldn't have bothered me if Laird didn't keep saying he wanted to see Volume 4 finished around 2014 or so and kept saying he wanted to get it done. He basically led people on to think he would finish it. I also don't know why he didn't just give the story outline to Jim Lawson, and let Jim just write the story basically on the direction PL wanted the series to go and do the art for about 6 more issues.

But it's too late now.

He couldn't do that. The terms of the 16 comics a year or whatever was that whatever he would put out, he would have to be "heavily involved," as in the writer or whatnot.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:40 PM   #82
Leo656
The Franchise

I have huge doubts any of that was even being seriously considered, anyway. I think Laird just said all that because Mirage fans are so passionate, he didn't want to be in any way responsible if a bunch of them took poorly to the fact that it was dead forever. Better to let them cling to hope for a bit and let the realization hit them organically over time.

But yeah, I'm sure there were zero plans for Laird to ever publish anything after the Nick sale. He probably fought for the right to do so in case he ever got REALLY bored one day but never had any solid plans.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:31 AM   #83
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

In hindsight, the publishing rights do seem like a ‘get out of jail free’ clause to fans. Facing facts, in over a decade and a half, we’ve only had 4 issues published of Mirage (mostly down to Laird’s involvement in the 2007 movie). If he didn’t publish them when he had full rights to the entire property, I don’t see much hope for the future.

I would like to know if any previous groundwork (excluding the story) was done for issue 32 before the sale to Nick.
Old 03-04-2022, 01:11 AM   #84
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I have huge doubts any of that was even being seriously considered, anyway. I think Laird just said all that because Mirage fans are so passionate, he didn't want to be in any way responsible if a bunch of them took poorly to the fact that it was dead forever. Better to let them cling to hope for a bit and let the realization hit them organically over time.

But yeah, I'm sure there were zero plans for Laird to ever publish anything after the Nick sale. He probably fought for the right to do so in case he ever got REALLY bored one day but never had any solid plans.
No, that's not quite fair. Peter was brutally honest about the clause in his Q&As. In that it was mostly for his own peace of mind that if the muse DID one day hit him again, he COULD continue things. Not that he would, and in fact even him doubting he would.

He's never been, like, misleading about this. Though at one point he made it seem a little more optimistic than previously. But even that was many years ago now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turtle Terminator View Post
I would like to know if any previous groundwork (excluding the story) was done for issue 32 before the sale to Nick.
The only V4 issues we got after the sale were issues already drawn and "in the can." And as far as other issues not made, it sounded like they only existed as a general idea in his head. He made mention he thought he could wrap V4 up in 3 or 5 issues a couple times, I think. He also mentioned the possibilities that he could do the completion as a one time package thing, or just dumping out the general synopsis, when asked.
Old 03-04-2022, 04:19 AM   #85
member_removed
Hench Mutant

It would be nice Nick and Laird could come to terms.

Pete could give the story outlines (even if these exist only as a brief story synopsis in Peter's head) to Jim and then IDW publish them. In a "Urban Legends" round of about way.

Especially if IDW can publish V4. Whether or not the is demand for a conclusion to V4 outside of diehard Mirage heads.

Perhaps IDW could get Kevin's input as well to drum up some interest and collaborate with Lawson.

No, you take the ugly one!

I'll take the ugly one!

Which one's the ugly one?
member_removed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:15 PM   #86
Galactus
Foot Elite

I don't think that having a clause that Laird could continuing publishing TMNT is something Nickelodeon would give away unless Laird really pushed for it. It might seem a small thing considering that TMNT Vol. 4 was a small indie book which at the time wasn't even making it's money back but imagine this; Nickelodeon is just about to launch their new kids TMNT cartoon and toy line only for Laird to announce he's going to publish an ultra dark new TMNT comic were the turtles dismember all their enemies and smoke and drink and shoot heroin. Far fetched perhaps but not entirely unthinkable given the franchise's more adult roots. I don't think Laird would have pushed for this if he didn't think at the time there was a possibility of him going back to it someday.

Right now the possibility of him doing it is almost zero but theoretically if IDW made him an offer to reprint all the previous Vol. 4 issues and let him finish it up similar to how they did the Image run I think it might go better than we think. Attitudes have certainly shifted a lot since 2009 and I think IDW printing a continuation/ending to the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by one of the original creators would be good selling point. I think it would sell better than Urban Legends did at any rate.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:34 PM   #87
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I think it would sell better than Urban Legends did at any rate.
I don't think Vol. 4 sold more than Urban Legends/Vol. 3 the first time around. Why would it be different the second time around?
Old 03-04-2022, 05:13 PM   #88
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't think Vol. 4 sold more than Urban Legends/Vol. 3 the first time around. Why would it be different the second time around?
While both being indie companies Image is a lot bigger than Mirage ever was.

Also like I said attitudes have changed a lot since Laird sold TMNT. Back when Laird was stewarding the franchise the general attitude from fans was that the comics sucked, the toys sucked, the new animated series sucked and the Imagi movie sucked because of Laird's insistence on them not being like the 80s show. Now there is a lot more appreciation of those things that there was at the time among the kind of people that buy TMNT comics.

I'm not saying it would be a huge seller or anything but IDW marketing the return of the franchise's prodigal creator to continue or finish the original TMNT's story I think would get some people interested.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:25 PM   #89
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
the new animated series sucked and the Imagi movie sucked because of Laird's insistence on them not being like the 80s show.
That is like the last reason those things "sucked."
Old 03-04-2022, 05:29 PM   #90
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That is like the last reason those things "sucked."
You and I may agree on that but it's what the general consensus was almost everywhere outside this board.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:57 PM   #91
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I feel the 2007 movie sucked cause it was mostly.... 'the one where Leo fights with Raph' and that was it. They repeated the Winters backstory twice, wasting time in an already short movie. Mikey and Don barely do anything, and even when everyone fights, the 'camera' focuses mostly on Leo and Raph.

13 monsters and you only see like 4. That scene of them going into Winter's building was just the Turtles rushing through an army of Foot Ninja without even trying. That should have been a big crazy fight scene, which again, give all 4 Turtles more to do, as well as Casey who felt like he was just there.

It wasn't horrible but there were things that could have been improved.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 02:10 PM   #92
oldmanwinters
Overlord

A sentimental gift Mikey Dooney left the new owners of the Mirage Studios building:

Spoiler:

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 02:21 PM   #93
Jephael
That whack job behind you

They should do a video where some Bill Maher looking @$$-hole complains that people need to grow up and attempts to erase it, but then a bunch of fans in TMNT shirts show up and kick the crap out of him shouting "Turtles Forever!!!"

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 02:43 PM   #94
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I mean... I wouldn't think most people today would be interested making us of a traditional chalk board. The only reason to have one would be the nostalgia/design aesthetic, and if it features a drawing by somebody of Michael Dooney's caliber... even better reason to keep it up!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 03:37 PM   #95
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

When the OT was airing and I would have to hang out in the school building during summer school that my father was teaching I perfected my Turtle drawing skills on a chalk board. I remember being mad that a custodian had erased my Arcade Game scene.

Chalk boards have been out of favor for about 20 years. Hopefully they will respectfully keep it up.
Old 03-30-2022, 01:21 PM   #96
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
A sentimental gift Mikey Dooney left the new owners of the Mirage Studios building:
http://i.imgur.com/tj4tnzol.jpg

I have to say that this image made me surprisingly emotional for some random reason.

All good things ...
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mirage