Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-08-2020, 10:52 PM   #61
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post

Agreed but what's the rights issues?
WB has distribution rights, Nick/Viacom owns the property, and Orange Sky Golden Harvest owns the film. Apparently it's difficult getting all three to agree on anything?

There's also a lawsuit that was filed by the screenwriters against (I think) Golden Harvest, saying they were never paid their proper residuals. That old chestnut. I'm not sure if that would inhibit any media release, but nothing would shock me at this point.

Expectation for a proper release is low but hope is high. I never thought we would have kickass 1:4 scale Henson figures, but here we are.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:34 PM   #62
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
WB has distribution rights, Nick/Viacom owns the property, and Orange Sky Golden Harvest owns the film. Apparently it's difficult getting all three to agree on anything?

There's also a lawsuit that was filed by the screenwriters against (I think) Golden Harvest, saying they were never paid their proper residuals. That old chestnut. I'm not sure if that would inhibit any media release, but nothing would shock me at this point.

Expectation for a proper release is low but hope is high. I never thought we would have kickass 1:4 scale Henson figures, but here we are.
I have to wonder how the films managed to get a release on blu-ray some years back with all the stuff you listed. I guess was agreed in the end.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #63
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I have to wonder how the films managed to get a release on blu-ray some years back with all the stuff you listed. I guess was agreed in the end.
WB has distribution rights in the US, meaning they can release the film on physical and digital markets with little problem.

I'm fairly certain they are the biggest holdout on special features. Several years ago, a German release included a director's commentary and the alternate ending, so it is possible to work with Golden Harvest, who owns the film and its materials. (I don't believe Paramount/Nick is a major roadblock regarding these films, but I could be wrong.) WB is no longer generous in adding special features to their catalog release and I've seen little evidence to suggest they are willing to do so here.

The extended cut everyone (including Kevin Eastman and Steve Barron) is wanting has an additional obstacle. From what I understand, the negatives featuring the cut footage are missing and the scenes only exist on a workprint VHS tape. Granted, the footage can still be included as deleted scenes or they could include the entire workprint cut as a special feature, much like The 'Burbs a few years back. But once again, WB has to be willing to do it.

But I do wonder how much of a nightmare it would be for a licensing company like Shout Factory to handle the film. This is all speculation, but I'm assuming they'd not only have to navigate their way around complicated rights stuff with various levels of approval from WB, Golden Harvest, and Paramount/Nick, but also The Jim Henson Creature Shop if they want to use their b-roll footage.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 03-25-2020 at 04:05 PM.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #64
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The Blu-ray was originally released before the Nick buyout, so maybe that has something to do with it? All subsequent releases have been reprints of the same disc.

Like fbomb said, it's all speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
From what I understand, the negatives featuring the cut footage are missing and the scenes only exist on a workprint VHS tape.
Just out of curiosity, what's your source on the film elements thing?

Personally, I'm 110% down with getting the VHS version. The way The Burbs handled it was fantastic.

Last edited by d_osborn; 03-25-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #65
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
just out of curiosity, what's your source on the film elements thing?
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/due...ute/e/55292600

It was mentioned by Kevin Eastman in his interview with the Ninja Turtle Minute podcast. About 14 minutes in, he discusses the complications of doing an extended cut and mentions that the raw materials needed to do it have been "lost or destroyed."

Last night, I decided to purchase a PDF of the script from ScriptFly. I'm not sure how current events will effect when I receive it, but I figured it was worth a shot. I'm currently planning an article on the deleted scenes, a companion piece to a retrospective I'm writing for the film's 30th anniversary. Hopefully, it pans out.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 03-26-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #66
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/due...ute/e/55292600

It was mentioned by Kevin Eastman in his interview with the Ninja Turtle Minute podcast. About 14 minutes in, he discusses the complications of doing an extended cut and mentions that the raw materials needed to do it have been "lot or destroyed."

Last night, I decided to purchase a PDF of the script from ScriptFly. I'm not sure how current events will effect when I receive it, but I figured it was worth a shot. I'm currently planning an article on the deleted scenes, a companion piece to a retrospective I'm writing for the film's 30th anniversary. Hopefully, it pans out.
Thanks! I don't think I've heard that podcast.

...and cancel that order, dude!

https://www.docdroid.net/hIrNXMH/tmnt-6-5-89-scan.pdf
Old 03-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #67
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Thanks! I don't think I've heard that podcast.
They also interviewed Steve Barron and John Du Prez. I highly recommend both episodes, but especially the Du Prez episode.

Quote:
...and cancel that order, dude!

https://www.docdroid.net/hIrNXMH/tmnt-6-5-89-scan.pdf
OMG, thank you! I've been looking for the full thing for a while.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #68
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

If films like The Wizard can get a 4K remaster there's no reason in the world TMNT can't. There's way more market for the later. There just needs to be a will somewhere in the chain that controls these things. I hope it's there, or will surface shortly.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:38 PM   #69
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
If films like The Wizard can get a 4K remaster there's no reason in the world TMNT can't. There's way more market for the later. There just needs to be a will somewhere in the chain that controls these things. I hope it's there, or will surface shortly.
That was through a licensing deal with Shout Factory. Had Universal released it themselves, it would've probably been an upscale without special features. Companies like Shout and Arrow treat films better than the studios that own them. I'm praying one of them gets their hand on the TMNT films.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #70
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
That was through a licensing deal with Shout Factory. Had Universal released it themselves, it would've probably been an upscale without special features. Companies like Shout and Arrow treat films better than the studios that own them. I'm praying one of them gets their hand on the TMNT films.
One can but dream ...
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #71
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
i was not aware there was fred savage in 4K.

guilty pleasure movie.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #72
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

it sucks this movie isn't getting some special 30th anniversary blu ray release.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:07 PM   #73
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
i was not aware there was fred savage in 4K.

guilty pleasure movie.
Christian Slater too, who has a small, obscure tie to the first Ninja Turtles film. I'm curious if anyone can guess it!
Old 03-29-2020, 02:16 AM   #74
Leonardo87
Stone Warrior

Interesting read of the script! I figured it would have blood in the movie but obviously it was cut out due to ratings. There is few moments where we do see some like Shredder's back when he is hanging from being flipped by Splinter and quick glimpse of the death of Hamato Yoshi by Shredder's katana.
Leonardo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:17 AM   #75
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Christian Slater too, who has a small, obscure tie to the first Ninja Turtles film. I'm curious if anyone can guess it!
Do tell. If it's something to do with his casting agent mother, though ...
Old 03-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #76
Raph
Mad Scientist

Man I just spoke with the produder Cameron Dawson and writer Bobby Herbeck. There is so much cool stuff in the works!!! An official docu and a behind the scenes book.
And he said that's only the beginning!

Follow them on Insta or go here www.tmnt033090.com.
Let's all celebrate and watch the movie tomorrow.

Last edited by Raph; 03-29-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #77
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Tomorrow if you go to Kevin Eastmans Facebook page at 5pm central he is doing a live watch of the movie.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #78
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

I watched the film again last night and a few thoughts came to me:

1) This is just conjecture, but the first couple of shots of the main title sequence might be remnants of the original opening, in which we went through a sewer lid and moved through the sewer until we reached the lair.

2) For one scene, Donatello and Casey Jones become pals. I've never really given it any thought before, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Michelangelo was distancing himself from everyone and he is Donatello's best friend throughout most of the film. They do everything together. It makes sense that Donatello would "latch onto" Casey.

3) The Turtles never actively go looking for the Foot. The Foot always comes to them.

4) This has to be one of the rare times a hotheaded TV news reporter, not a loose cannon detective, gets her chops busted by the police chief. (A side note: I also think it's funny that instead of inviting Elias Koteas or Judith Hoag back for the first sequel, they asked Raymond Serra to reprise his role as Chief Sterns.)

5) The removal of a large chunk of the training sequence (and the subsequent shift in placement for what little remains) is perhaps the biggest loss from the scrapped footage, as it showed how the Turtles applied Splinter's "final" lesson to their fighting techniques.

6) I've noticed the brief scene between Tatsu and Shredder at the midst of the farmhouse sequence, was not in the script. I wonder how late in the game this addition was made, if it was made up on the set. Regardless, it is easily one of my favorite moments in the film. The transition into the training montage is sublime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharman View Post
Do tell. If it's something to do with his casting agent mother, though ...
No, it's not like Star Trek VI.

For whatever reason, he appeared in a couple of "audience reaction" TV Spots for the film, one of which also included MC Hammer.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 03-29-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #79
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
1) This is just conjecture, but the first couple of shots of the main title sequence might be remnants of the original opening, in which we went through a sewer lid and moved through the sewer until we reached the lair.
Exactamundo!

Quote:
6) I've noticed the brief scene between Tatsu and Shredder at the midst of the farmhouse sequence, was not in the script. I wonder how late in the game this addition was made, if it was made up on the set.
Fantastic question! I never noticed that wasn't in the script.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:03 PM   #80
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
No, it's not like Star Trek VI.

For whatever reason, he appeared in a couple of "audience reaction" TV Spots for the film, one of which also included MC Hammer.
Ahh, I don't think we got those in the UK. Hell, I still ain't seen 'em.