The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 12-30-2021, 11:56 PM   #941
Leo656
The Franchise

That does make logical sense.

Could be they're taking the "Masters of the Universe: Revelation" track with it. "It's a sequel to the show you watched as kids back in the '80s! Except, y'know... it totally isn't. Except for a few ways it kind of is, if you squint. It's just like you remembered it! Except, y'know, made by completely different people and with a totally different style and execution. But, y'know, other than THAT... it's TOTALLY the same, you guys!"

I wouldn't be shocked if it were "The Next Chapter" of the Turtles' lives after the end of the FW cartoon. Except, like MOTU: R, it won't "really" be that, for various reasons, it will just be "close enough if you squint and pretend real hard". Like for example how MOTU: R had to ignore the existence of She-Ra completely for legal/rights reasons, along with leaving out or ignoring huge chunks of other Filmation He-Man lore because it didn't fit the story they were telling with this new series, I expect they'd do the same for a "Next Chapter" of the FW TMNT cartoon. For example, if they do it, you can bet "Red Sky" will be ignored completely since most people never saw it and even fewer liked it. They'll probably ignore the end of the last pre-Red Sky season, too, and just jump in like it's "business as usual" for the TMNT except "a few years later".

But yeah, I can't see them LITERALLY doing a 1:1 direct continuation of FW, 4Kids, any of that stuff. But I CAN see them doing a movie that's a vague, "kinda/sorta/not literally" continuation a'la "Revelation". But it still wouldn't literally be "a direct sequel" because they'd most certainly ignore/retcon stuff people don't know about or didn't like, such as Red Sky, and also will most likely have a completely different art style and presentation. They will probably keep the same theme song, though, albeit a redone or "remixed" version.

Anyways, yeah, from a marketing standpoint there's no reason to call it "The Next Chapter" unless it's going to loosely follow something we already know about. FW is the only TMNT anyone in the casual audience cares about, so there's your answer, that's what it will be. Probably.

FW TMNT, through the Seth Rogen filter. Hmm. Thanks, I hate it!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 01:05 AM   #942
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I just wish all I knew of Seth Rogen was only his movies and nothing else of what he's been loudly saying on Twitter and to anyone willing to listen, particularly lately. Because it isn't like one of these Hollywood guys where maybe they feel like they have to say certain things to continue to get work... no, he's really all about it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:19 AM   #943
Sumac
Banned

I didn't know much about Rogen outside of the fact that dude had a stupid laugh, but after Santa Inc. I, sadly, have learnt more about him and the idea that this guy in charge of the new TMNT movie is...well...not inspiring.

On the other hand, we already have Campbell in charge of a comic book, so it is not like it is the first time this crap happen.
At least Rogen won't turn TMNT into his personal masturbatory fantasy about furries...right? Right!?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:13 PM   #944
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
At least Rogen won't turn TMNT into his personal masturbatory fantasy about furries...right? Right!?
Well he already went there with food, so... total "why not" territory.

Not seen that Santa Inc thing, since I don't have HBO Max, but saw some review on it a couple nights ago...and about how it has totally bombed and hard. And this is the person expected to make a TMNT movie for Nick. Yep. I'm not even sure what to say to that.

edit: At this point I think I'd rather just call up Vanilla Ice and see if he wants to be involved and trust him to find people who give a crap and know what they're doing, no matter what his own particular angle of fandom is... It's at the point where it's like Hey, you're a known name and a known fan. Help. lol Dude pull some strings, ok?

Last edited by IndigoErth; 12-31-2021 at 02:21 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:33 PM   #945
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Not seen that Santa Inc thing, since I don't have HBO Max, but saw some review on it a couple nights ago...and about how it has totally bombed and hard. And this is the person expected to make a TMNT movie for Nick. Yep. I'm not even sure what to say to that.
Well, I looked at the Santa Inc. credits and Rogen doesn't appear to have any creative involvement with it at all. He was just a hired gun to play Santa.
Old 12-31-2021, 03:19 PM   #946
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Ah, okay, thought it was totally his 'masterpiece' and was then very, very afraid. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:42 PM   #947
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Honestly, if I'd saw his name as screenwriter I wouldn't have been surprised, based on what he's been saying the last couple of years.
Old 12-31-2021, 04:10 PM   #948
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

As how involve Seth Rogen is with the CGI movie, Its his production company that's making it, I don't know how involve he is with the making of it, But past interviews said he wanted to focus on the teenage aspect.
Old 12-31-2021, 05:18 PM   #949
Leo656
The Franchise

The only thing I've ever laughed at with Seth Rogen was 40-Year Old Virgin, and that was hardly because of him. And he was tolerable there because he's in it for like five minutes.

Also, funny in an ironic sense because much of his role in that movie is "Y'know how I know you're gay...?" jokes. Which he would want a person thrown in jail for nowadays. Awk-waaaaaard! Sadly, that's literally the funniest he's ever been.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:09 AM   #950
Sumac
Banned

I haven't watched Santa Inc., but I've heard about what kind of movie it is and what "values" Rogen espouses.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:32 AM   #951
AquaParade
Banned

Time for Viacom to look at the success of No Way Home and the trend of nostalgia - multiverse.

If you're a large studio, making a movie adaption of a comic, how do you not look at the success of No Way Home and ask yourself what you can do to get some of that cheddar?

I want those 1990 tmnt back so bad. Really, I can't even imagine seeing those characters on screen again. I never thought I'd see Tobeyman again, which was incredible, but this is the one way that could be topped for me, in a nostalgic movie magic sense. I'd get butterflies seeing those old Henson designs step out of the shadows.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:41 AM   #952
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Time for Viacom to look at the success of No Way Home and the trend of nostalgia - multiverse.

If you're a large studio, making a movie adaption of a comic, how do you not look at the success of No Way Home and ask yourself what you can do to get some of that cheddar?

I want those 1990 tmnt back so bad. Really, I can't even imagine seeing those characters on screen again. I never thought I'd see Tobeyman again, which was incredible, but this is the one way that could be topped for me, in a nostalgic movie magic sense. I'd get butterflies seeing those old Henson designs step out of the shadows.
As in what? Have the Platinum Dunes get a new movie in which the 1990 TMNT guest star?

No. Dumb.
Old 01-01-2022, 03:53 AM   #953
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
As in what? Have the Platinum Dunes get a new movie in which the 1990 TMNT guest star?

No. Dumb.
Get your head out of the gutter. You can take inspiration from something without completely copying it.

The message to Hollywood is that you can bring back old characters and explain it away with a multiverse. There’s room for both. Doesn’t mean they have to share screen time necessarily.

Viacom seem sort of thick-headed, in regards to TMNT, so who knows. But if people start raving about Keaton-Batman again, it’ll only push the idea further.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #954
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Can Paramount even use the 90s Turtles in a movie if they wanted to since New Line/WB hold the rights to those movies?
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:11 AM   #955
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Can Paramount even use the 90s Turtles in a movie if they wanted to since New Line/WB hold the rights to those movies?
Good question. I don't know but the only hint I have is that one of the old screenwriters said they were trying to get Viacom to resurrect their version of tmnt a few years ago.

I'm not even trying to be a fanboy. It just makes business sense. When you've completely fumbled the ball on the new iterations and even studios with much more success are going back to the nostalgia well, it becomes an increasingly logical move.
1990 was a big success at the time. You ask adults coming out of NWH if they'd like to see the 1990 tmnt return and you're bound to get a ton of enthusiasm from most of them.

Then you have things like TLR blowing up, which further cements the idea that the roots of the franchise are the direction you need to head in.

This is the route I'd go down, even if it were my money on the line. Not that I count on Viacom doing it.

Last edited by AquaParade; 01-01-2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:13 PM   #956
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well there needs to be a decently popular new TMNT movie first to use the multiverse in a sequel. Which could happen with the next live action one.

I don’t think you should make a new movie that jumps straight into opening the multiverse. It’ll leave the new version underdeveloped and with barely any introduction.

Assuming it’s not using the cartoons it would be made up of the Current Turtles (new live action movie), 2014 Turtles and 90’s Henson Turtles.
Old 01-02-2022, 01:27 AM   #957
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Turtles Forever was great but we don't need a new one. The only way I can accept a movie with the 1990 Turtles is in a sequel of the old movies. No multiverse tricks, please.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:06 PM   #958
Jephael
That whack job behind you

As much as I love the multiverse idea, I'd rather that be done as an animated TV special on Nickelodeon or a comic book published by IDW. To be honest, I could care less if the TMNT ever get another feature film!

Big screen movies are kind of overrated in my personal opinion. I mean lets face it. You know why a lot of these super hero movies tank at the box office? Because there are thousands of stories about these characters that have been told via comic books and animated TV shows, and these studios try to cram several at a time into little bite sized 2 hour movies, and all that ever results in is a huge mess! I thought Spectacular Spider-Man was a great show that surpassed the Sam Raimi films because of just that. An animated series has the luxury of spacing out each story per episode, which is what I prefer. Heck, I hope at some point I hope Warner Bros. realizes they can have the same success doing an animated 7 season reboot of Harry Potter!

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:33 PM   #959
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
As much as I love the multiverse idea, I'd rather that be done as an animated TV special on Nickelodeon or a comic book published by IDW. To be honest, I could care less if the TMNT ever get another feature film!

Big screen movies are kind of overrated in my personal opinion. I mean lets face it. You know why a lot of these super hero movies tank at the box office? Because there are thousands of stories about these characters that have been told via comic books and animated TV shows, and these studios try to cram several at a time into little bite sized 2 hour movies, and all that ever results in is a huge mess! I thought Spectacular Spider-Man was a great show that surpassed the Sam Raimi films because of just that. An animated series has the luxury of spacing out each story per episode, which is what I prefer. Heck, I hope at some point I hope Warner Bros. realizes they can have the same success doing an animated 7 season reboot of Harry Potter!
This is very true. And financially for TMNT, it might be for the best.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:33 PM   #960
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

It would be cool if they did a CGI movie of the TMNT Multiverse.